Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Personally I wouldn't say anything to the teacher, and I would talk to my child about boys and girls differences. I am really surprised that by her age she isn't aware of this already...

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How to handle this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
This. I have a 4yo DS and 5yo DD. One will brush teeth while the other sits on the commode. It's no big deal for them. While I realize there's a difference between siblings and classmates, I doubt they do!

And both of my boys have a "gotta pee NOW!" kind of thing where they canNOT wait to use the restroom. I'd guess that the little boy in the OP was having an experience like that. Poor guy has to go and hears running water to boot!
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Personally I wouldn't say anything to the teacher, and I would talk to my child about boys and girls differences. I am really surprised that by her age she isn't aware of this already...
So am I really that she hadn't noticed by now. I play those kinds of questions kind of hands off, as in I wait for her to ask questions. I figured when my nephew was born 20 months ago and we started changing his diapers in front of her, she'd notice and ask. Nope. I figured she'd ask one of the 9 billion times she saw DH naked. She did ask him, once. He was too flabbergasted about her asking why he had a crayon on his bum to answer, and by the time I found out about it (I was working) the moment had passed. We've talked about it now.

I did email the teacher, made sure to explain that I wasn't upset, but that I thought she should know.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Ah, well I can see being surprised she asked too then since she's seen DH! I figured a lot of that was learned around parents at that age, figured you guys were always dressed in front of her or something.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #14
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Kids do have strange thoughts though.

I had an outie belly button, and thought it was a penis like by brother's. (I was younger)

My best friend in kindergarten was black, and I thought that since the palms of her hands and the bottoms of her feet were white, that she was only black where her clothes didn't cover. I was surprised at a sleepover when her stomach was black too.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Kids do have strange thoughts though.

I had an outie belly button, and thought it was a penis like by brother's. (I was younger)

My best friend in kindergarten was black, and I thought that since the palms of her hands and the bottoms of her feet were white, that she was only black where her clothes didn't cover. I was surprised at a sleepover when her stomach was black too.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #16
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

My almost 5 yr old has no knowledge that girls have no penis. My boys have all seen me nekkie but only the 3 yr old noticed and cared. My 5 yr old would probably be a bit shocked to see one of his female classmates not have a penis. My almost 5 yr old is delayed though, so that might make a difference.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Connor View Post
Ah, well I can see being surprised she asked too then since she's seen DH! I figured a lot of that was learned around parents at that age, figured you guys were always dressed in front of her or something.
Nope, I'm actually surprised it was not her wandering in on someone - our bathrooms both have doors, but you'd never know it unless we have company. We had the privacy talk just a couple of weeks ago when our D&D group, all guys but me, came over and DD came running out of her bath, still stark naked to say hi to them. Luckily most of them are dads or otherwise comfortable with little kids, but she's getting a little old for that. I think she just figured daddy looked different because he's old - mommy doesn't look exactly like her either, and she just hadn't noticed her cousin because she's too busy playing with his sister. It's a little more interesting when it's someone your age.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

I'd let the teacher know it happened but beyond that I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I don't think I would do anything. I'm sorry to sound so under alarmed...but, it doesn't sound like a big deal to me at all.
This. I would just gently remind DD to lock the door.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote