Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
jennak
Registered Users
seller

Re: If you didn't go into labor on your own with #1, did you with #2?

YES! I was induced at 42+2 (she came at 42+3) with #1 and I went into labor on my own with #2 and she was born (drug free) at 39 weeks. I was soooooo scared of a repeat of #1 because it was very traumatic, but my experience the second time around was amazing! soooooooooo different than #1.

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
birdinhand
Registered Users

86% of women who experience SROM will go into labor within 24 hours, although in many places (US and abroad) you can probably get an induction as soon as your water breaks, and that is your right. That 86% doesn't mean baby will be born within 24 hours (which is often what our care practitioners want in the US), but that labor will have started on its own.

In many European countries they offer more conservative management of labor -- they allow a woman to return home and take 36-48 hours to see if labor will begin, much different than in the US.

It is easy to cite statistics and very much a different story when you are in the situation. Every woman has stewardship over her body and baby and needs to decide what is best for her unique experience.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand
86% of women who experience SROM will go into labor within 24 hours, although in many places (US and abroad) you can probably get an induction as soon as your water breaks, and that is your right. That 86% doesn't mean baby will be born within 24 hours (which is often what our care practitioners want in the US), but that labor will have started on its own.

In many European countries they offer more conservative management of labor -- they allow a woman to return home and take 36-48 hours to see if labor will begin, much different than in the US.

It is easy to cite statistics and very much a different story when you are in the situation. Every woman has stewardship over her body and baby and needs to decide what is best for her unique experience.
I waited 4 days with my first with no labor. Wonder what percentage that puts me in?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nope, induced with ds, csection with dd.

Sent from my iPad using DS Form
Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #15
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missydawn View Post
My water broke with ds1 but never went into labor until the started me on pitocin. Second baby came on her own all natural.
Same here!
DS my water broke at 40 +1 and I didn't go into labor. I was start on pitocin. The pain was horrible right away. I felt like I wanted to curl up in a ball and die. I had a failed epi so I felt everything from mid thigh up. (Thus why it was a failed epidural!)

DD was natural at 39 weeks. I would say I was only in "pain" for about 30 minutes at the end and it was not bad at all compared to the labor with pitocin. (I was still able to walk around and talk just fine 5 minutes before she popped out. It was mostly pressure like I had to pee really really bad and lower back ache with it. I kept waiting for the REAL PAIN like with my DS but it didn't happen.) DD's birth was awesome!

ETA: I was told if I didn't give birth in 24 hours with DS... I *HAD* to have a c-section. This was by a midwife at a hospital. That was 10 years and I was not very "educated" on childbirth. I was all alone and I did what they told me. I probably would have made a lot of the same choices but I would have at least tried walking around. I was not allowed to walk as I had to be on the monitor 100% of the time "because my water broke". I laid in that bed for 7 hours before they started pitocin! Pitocin is EVIL! (A necessary evil for some but evil because it HURTS ! )

We may have fooled around a little and I ate pineapple which is suppose to induce.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia

Last edited by Rdesonia; 02-26-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
birdinhand
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahknavy View Post
I waited 4 days with my first with no labor. Wonder what percentage that puts me in?
According to what I read, 6% .
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
nettepoet
Registered Users
seller

41w1d exactly with both previous babes, home castor oil induction with both.

with #1 i had an OB and was under pressure to deliver or face an induction in the hospital when i wanted (and got) a natural birth. with #2 i had midwives/homebirth but i was impatient and since castor oil worked for me the first time with no issues, i couldnt resist.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Nope. But then I didn't make my due date with either of them either. With my first my OB was trying to pressure me into a section, I insisted on TOL, and the TOL I got at 39 and 2 from what I know now was a joke, which he then used as proof that I needed a section, so I gave in. With my second I was showing signs of going pre-eclamptic, and the symptoms were slowly but steadily getting worse, so I consented to another induction, only this time they actually tried to induce me rather than just cause really intense contractions to scare me into a section, and with some conscientious effort I was able to have my VBAC.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #19
lovnliss34
Registered Users

My Mood:

My second babes water broke and i went into labor, my third i was 41 weeks 6 days, contractions started, mw tried to break water, but it didn't break until baby was coming out my first babe, my son, didn't want to come, and he too is still a mamas boy
lovnliss34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #20
Cortney
Registered Users
seller

With #1 I was induced at 42 weeks 3 days.
With #2 I went into labor on my own at 41 weeks 3 days.