Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #621
Squeaky McMurdo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ****Winter**** Chicken Moma chat thread. Join in the chat!

Got the humidity figured out thanks to you ladies. Also got the temperature back down to 100. The motor on the turner was working too hard because I had moved the trays over to make room. I'm only hatching 12 eggs so I just took all the extra trays out and the temperature went down.

And I didn't think my husband was going to be excited about this endevor, but on the way home he was talking about keeping a rooster so we could raise our own meat and now he's open to the larger breeds. Woohoo!

I'm already contemplating fencing in the front yard and keeping 2 flocks.

Advertisement

My ISO/IHA I'm looking for a Cosco Pronto cover in "Cars" preferably.
Squeaky McMurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #622
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I know, crappy mistake right? Glad I sucked it up and replaced it though. Here's the listing I bought the lav's from, the blue/lav will be sarahs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lavender-Ameraucana-Hatching-eggs-6-/190805707636?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STR K%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=2MxaHbIFxi%252B9BKYfyli 426BEAsE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
No, not a crappy mistake. Aw, it happens hun. It's a huge learning curve. I was to slow on the link and missed it. I'll have to see pics of the babies. I'd wait a little on Sarah's. I just set more and I think it may be the bitter cold she's having. No luck. I think I have tossed just over half, between you and I. You may want to wait a little while before talking to her about sending more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmonkey View Post
Just candled our eggs...out of 48 shipped eggs, 20 for sure have a chick growing in there, 3 had detached air sacs and were bad, and the rest of them are back in the bator for a day 14 candling, and if nothing is going on, they are going over the hill with the 3 that will go tomorrow.

I will catch up on everyones babies and fun coops tomorrow
I hope you get better visibility. Sometimes tinted eggs are just super hard to see. Hang in there Moma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky McMurdo View Post
Got the humidity figured out thanks to you ladies. Also got the temperature back down to 100. The motor on the turner was working too hard because I had moved the trays over to make room. I'm only hatching 12 eggs so I just took all the extra trays out and the temperature went down.

And I didn't think my husband was going to be excited about this endevor, but on the way home he was talking about keeping a rooster so we could raise our own meat and now he's open to the larger breeds. Woohoo!

I'm already contemplating fencing in the front yard and keeping 2 flocks.
And here we go! Now you have the support, we prob have another hatchaholic here, hehe! Arn't they fun!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 AM   #623
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, overnight I'm ready for my chicks to be out of the house. They're about 4 weeks old now and fully feathered. Well, we think they're four weeks. We've had them two and the feed store has been getting chicks in for 3. We took the biggest oldest chicks they had and they were already getting their real feathers in when we got them. And you could see three distinct ages of chicks in the brooders so we think they get a shipment a week whether or not all of the last shipment had sold, so we think these were left overs from at least one to two shipments back. And they are STINKY! Up to now we've been able to clean their crate every 1-3 days and it really hasn't smelled much. Yesterday morning we cleaned it because it stank (we thought maybe we left it to long) and by yesterday afternoon my whole basement STANK. We've had a lamb two dogs adn five chicks down there for weeks and you wouldn't have known. And yesterday even after cleaning and bleaching everything in the AM it reaked so badly by evening you could smell it from the front door. What can I do? We've always been raising them later in the year when it was warm enough that we could just put them in the coop with a heat lamp at this stage. They have pretty much outgrown the tote we're using as a brooder (they're huge). They smell to high heaven (again we have no clue why they were fine yesterday) and we have no idea what to do with them. When can they go outside? We put them outside in their tote during the day yesterday just so they could get some fresh air, and they didn't huddle or shiver so that's good. Also at what point can they go in with our current hens. Last year was a little different. We only had two Wellsummer hens and they were very aloff, and NEVER went in the coop. So when the babies got to this stage we put them in the main coop and the two girls we had left them totally alone. The three girls we have this year though never leave the coop. So I'm a little worried my new chicks would get picked on. Any ideas on what to do? I'm pretty tolerant of animals in my house but the smell is to much and I don't have time or energy to clean it every 6-8 hours to keep the smell at bay.

Last edited by slimy72; 03-03-2013 at 06:50 AM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #624
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is the problem I had. Too young for the coop, too big and stinky for inside. I use cedar only indoors now, it helps. I stir it up with a stick thing daily to keep the chips fresh and aired out. It's just that rank age. They also start to get crowded and start to pick at eachother. This is why I had do brainstorm and I came up with the queen box-spring frame brooder. The whole end is enclosed with a light and a hanging branch perch. I cover the run with clear plastic at night and in bad weather. It's all wired, then the coop part is plywood and tin roofing. It's not pretty, but works for this odd age. I just flip it over and clean it out between batches.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/ho...cled-boxspring
Can you toss together something? All you need is some leftover materials like the fence and plywood. If you won't use it again, who cares what it looks like, kwim. Do you have a barn? Ideas?

AFM-I think we are snowed in. I need chick food, my meds, and shavings! Dang, when you really need to drive you finally get the snow. I also had someone to meet to buy a jacket and I have to deliver eggs.
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #625
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Well she's already sending them. I think they're from a different pen so maybe I'll get better luck this time. Darn. I'm setting some of my own eggs this time too.

For chicks, as soon as they have all of their body feathers they can go outside, this time of the year I leave a heat lamp on at night. I have an old kid's playhouse I have set up for growout. I'm going to have to figure something else out though, or make the roos their own house because our roo is going to live there instead of with the girls. Better for everyone that way I think. I have heard repeatedly that wood stove pellets are good for the brooders, absorb smell and compost easily. I might try it this time when my shavings are gone. I swear the medicated chick feed makes them stinkier than normal food too.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #626
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wanted to try the pellets, but I know my big gals will eat them. I worry the young ones will try.

FX for a good hatch.

Get this, Ray had me set 2 doz eggs last night! He see how well they do now, lol.
He let me pick assorted red chicks at ts too! Got 6!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #627
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, here's what I have available, you ladies tell me what you think. Our regular coop that has my three hens in it is wired for electricity and we already keep a heat lamp going all the time except on the warmest of days. So we could put a second lamp out there, but the hens are in there and they seem awfully young to mix. We do have our old turkey coop. It has a house and a run and it's sitting empty. It doesn't have electricity but dh could probably run an extension cord out to it and they could have a heat lamp or two and the house and run to themselves. We do have a barn and it has electricity, but the lambs are currently occupying it and there really isn't room for the chicks, and it's a three sided shed not fully enclosed. But can have tons of lights. We also have the unheated garage, and some rabbit cages that are currently empty they could go in. But the rabbit cages have wire bottoms and I don't love that for chickens but maybe it would be ok short term. So what do you think, what's my best option? These things need to get out of my house asap.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #628
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and I"ll go add shavings to their tote until we figure out what to do and see if that helps. I only have sawdust though from the wood shops saw not actual cedar shavings. Will that still work? We use it inthe bottom of our lambing barn and then cover it with straw.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #629
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG!!! HELP!!! I just watched one of our maran hens lay an egg, snuggle up to it, then eat it and then when she jumped out of the box she took the egg left overs with her and all the other chickens ran over and gobbled up the rest of it!!!! WHAT IN THE WORLD!!!!????!!! What do I do? That would explain the low amount of eggs we've been getting. Now what. I've always heard once an egg eater always an egg eater. but if they are all eating then what?! Oh gosh, I'm kind of freaking out.

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #630
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

OH no. Well any normal hen will eat a broken egg. But the egg eater is bad news. I would isolate her, and go get some game bird grower (22-23% protein) feed and start trying to get as much protein in them as you can. Black sunflower seeds are good for that too. Sometimes it's a nutrition thing. The isolated hen I would put pinless peepers on to see if it stops her.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-pinless-pe...item1c3012c318

There's also theory that curtains over the nest boxes can deter that behavior as well, but if she's eating it right after laying I don't know if it would work.

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/02/eg...treatment.html
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote