Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Help arranging Omega, Nauti, and baby RFing.

I'm thinking about switching up carseats. Currently, 5-month old is in a infant seat. She's a big/long baby, so I'm just about done lugging her around in the seat, so it's getting close to time to possibly upgrade her to a convertible rear-facing. My 4-year old is in a Nautilus, FF only. 2.5 year old is in a convertible Omega Elite (I think).

Is 4 year old ready for just a booster? If so, I could buy a new booster, move the 2.5 yo to the Nauti, and move baby into the Omega (after switching it back to RF).

I'd prefer to leave 4 year old in the full Nauti, so should I buy a second Nauti for my 2.5 year old and give Omega to baby?

Or leave the 2.5 yo and 4yo where they are and buy a new RF convertible for the baby?

Size doesn't really matter, baby has her own row and the other 2 have plenty of room between their seats.

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help arranging Omega, Nauti, and baby RFing.

When does the convertible expire? How much do the 4 year old and 2.5 year old weigh? How much room above the 2.5 year old's shoulders if you put the harness on its highest allowable setting (which for some AOE seats is the second-highest headrest setting)?
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you have no plans of rear-facing the 2.5 year old, then I'd pass the AO down, assuming it's not about to expire or something, and get that child a Nautilus (or Harmony Defender, Evenflo SecureKid). I am uncomfy boostering most 4 year old, especially boys, who tend to develop impulse control later.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
When does the convertible expire? How much do the 4 year old and 2.5 year old weigh? How much room above the 2.5 year old's shoulders if you put the harness on its highest allowable setting (which for some AOE seats is the second-highest headrest setting)?
Convertible is 2020. The other I can't find easily but I'm sure it's a while, I just bought it maybe 3 years ago?

4 year old is 40 lbs. 2.5 is 30 pounds. The 2.5 yo has a few inches left, probably 3 or more, it's not even on the tallest setting yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess71903 View Post
If you have no plans of rear-facing the 2.5 year old, then I'd pass the AO down, assuming it's not about to expire or something, and get that child a Nautilus (or Harmony Defender, Evenflo SecureKid). I am uncomfy boostering most 4 year old, especially boys, who tend to develop impulse control later.
I think my 4-yo is mature and responsible enough for a booster but she honestly doesn't know the difference so I figure I'll keep her in an actual seat for as long as feasible. No harm until she outgrows it, right?

I guess the next step is seeing how well the baby fits in the AO? She's a chunk, she'll be at least 20 lbs by 6-months old.

By getting the 2.5 year old the Nauti, it means it will last her longer, right? Rather than getting a second convertible for the baby and leaving the 2.5 in the convertible, which she'd outgrow in a few years, right?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
Convertible is 2020. The other I can't find easily but I'm sure it's a while, I just bought it maybe 3 years ago?

4 year old is 40 lbs. 2.5 is 30 pounds. The 2.5 yo has a few inches left, probably 3 or more, it's not even on the tallest setting yet.

I think my 4-yo is mature and responsible enough for a booster but she honestly doesn't know the difference so I figure I'll keep her in an actual seat for as long as feasible. No harm until she outgrows it, right?
Yup, no harm in a harnessed seat. As far as we know, a harness and a booster are equally safe for children who are old enough (at least 4 for skeletal maturity), weigh enough (at least 40 pounds), and use a booster properly (which is an age/maturity thing, and usually happens around age 5-7).

Quote:
I guess the next step is seeing how well the baby fits in the AO? She's a chunk, she'll be at least 20 lbs by 6-months old.
Yes, the AO is not known for being a good fit on little babies, so there is a chance your baby won't fit in it properly yet. Put the straps on their lowest setting and make sure they are at or below shoulder level for the baby. If they're still above her shoulders, then keep her in the infant seat a while longer. You can just leave it in the car if it's getting too heavy to cart around.

Quote:
By getting the 2.5 year old the Nauti, it means it will last her longer, right? Rather than getting a second convertible for the baby and leaving the 2.5 in the convertible, which she'd outgrow in a few years, right?
Yes, a nautilus will last your 2.5 year old MUCH longer than the seat that she's in, and longer (as a harnessed seat) than the vast majority of convertibles. Plus, since you can use it as a booster when the harness is outgrown, you can definitely get many years of use out of it. (The AO has a booster function as well, but should NOT be used as a booster, EVER. It typically provides a terrible seatbelt fit. Just FYI. )
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post

Yes, the AO is not known for being a good fit on little babies, so there is a chance your baby won't fit in it properly yet. Put the straps on their lowest setting and make sure they are at or below shoulder level for the baby. If they're still above her shoulders, then keep her in the infant seat a while longer. You can just leave it in the car if it's getting too heavy to cart around.
)

I stuck her in and it might have just been an ooch high on her shoulders, but not by much. She looked tiny in it compared to get infant seat, but I think it gave a decent fit considering she's only 5 months. I'll get through spring and switch it up then when she's 7 or 8 months old and fits slightly better. I just wanted to figure it out so I could plan ahead and know what to expect! Thanks !