Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Art mama's Avatar
Art mama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,108
My Mood:
How do you know when you've purged enough?

I keep going through clothes and dishes and getting rid of more stuff. I feel like I'm drowning in stuff. And I haven't even started on the bathroom and art room...

Advertisement

Art mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
tabitha84's Avatar
tabitha84
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boise, Id
Posts: 230
My Mood:
Re: How do you know when you've purged enough?

I think it's a life long process. Because more stuff will always be coming in, especially with kids. So you always have to be evaluating what's junk, what's getting used, etc.
__________________
Wifey to a handsome EMT . SAHM to Alex (2007) , Everett (2009)
and Fletcher (2013)
tabitha84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
passthepickles's Avatar
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Mitten!
Posts: 1,157
My Mood:
Re: How do you know when you've purged enough?

I think you just know. I have reached the point where I don't have much left to get rid of, but I have a permanent spot in my garage where goodwill things go and when something isn't being used, it goes. I am much more discriminating when it comes to bringing new things into my house or keeping things. When my kids get a "junk" toy from a friend or relative, I know that the initial excitement will wear off in a week or two and when I ask them if they have anything for Goodwill, they will inevitably hand it over. When it comes to hubby and I, we just don't bring things home anymore. We like our house the way it is and do not enjoy having to sort through clutter! If you feel like you still have too much stuff, you are probably not there yet. I have been on a minimizing kick for nearly three years and I am *just* finding the sweet spot.
__________________
~Shannon~
married to Dan the man (5.24.03) and lovin' my babies, Hayden (5.10.04) Wilder (8.12.08) and Callan (6.24.11)
passthepickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Blessed2005's Avatar
Blessed2005
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,397
My Mood:
Re: How do you know when you've purged enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art mama View Post
I keep going through clothes and dishes and getting rid of more stuff. I feel like I'm drowning in stuff. And I haven't even started on the bathroom and art room...
I feel you Mama. I was on a quest to clean and declutter our entire 1080 SF home before the arrival of baby #3 in April. I need our home to work in my favor instead of against me with another little one and minimal space. Did too much and gave myself contractions and landed on bedrest . Now I am stuck looking at junk and depending on DH being the mom and dad, cook and bread-winner, cleaner, etc. No more decluttering is getting done until I can get back on my feet. Hopefully at 37 weeks I can bust my butt and finish the rooms that are left undone before Abel arrives. I can't stand all the crap laying around anymore!!
__________________
Ashley enjoying life with my husband and best friend Ross . SAHM to Sterling(7), Evie(4) and Abel(1). Life is GREAT!
Blessed2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
P!nkPepper's Avatar
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Midwest
Posts: 9,584
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by passthepickles View Post
I think you just know. I have reached the point where I don't have much left to get rid of, but I have a permanent spot in my garage where goodwill things go and when something isn't being used, it goes. I am much more discriminating when it comes to bringing new things into my house or keeping things. When my kids get a "junk" toy from a friend or relative, I know that the initial excitement will wear off in a week or two and when I ask them if they have anything for Goodwill, they will inevitably hand it over. When it comes to hubby and I, we just don't bring things home anymore. We like our house the way it is and do not enjoy having to sort through clutter! If you feel like you still have too much stuff, you are probably not there yet. I have been on a minimizing kick for nearly three years and I am *just* finding the sweet spot.
This^^^^

I started purging in 2011 & I am getting closer but only with my stuff, my 15 mo's stuff & my 5 yos stuff. The hardest part is getting my extended family on board.

Jodie ~ mama to Big K, Medium K & Lil' k
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 AM   #6
Punkin's Avatar
Punkin
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,566
My Mood:
Re: How do you know when you've purged enough?

When you can be anywhere anytime in your house and feel at peace by what surrounds you...and what doesn't!
__________________
Mama to 4 at home +1 Dancing with Jesus: DD10, DD7, DS6, DS 3
My trade thread!
Bless your family with Usborne Books!!

Last edited by Punkin; 03-04-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Punkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
I_am_Blessed's Avatar
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
Formerly: Beth's_Mommy
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,734
Re: How do you know when you've purged enough?

For me, it's a constant cycle. Currently, I am at a point where I am happy with what I have left and have no desire to purge anything else - except DH's movie collection, but he refuses to get rid of any Over time, new things will trickle in and within a few months, I will have to go through and purge again. I would love to get to a point of nothing new coming in, but with kids/holidays/grandparents, I don't see that happening.
__________________

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

I_am_Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #8
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central New York
Posts: 3,837
My Mood:
I'm totally overwhelmed too... I spent all weekend purging. We ended up with 8 full-sized garbage bags full of clothes and toys and clutter, to be donated today! My house is so CLEAN that I don't really know what to do with myself today, haha!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
I_am_Blessed's Avatar
I_am_Blessed
Registered Users
Formerly: Beth's_Mommy
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,734
Re: How do you know when you've purged enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebymommy View Post
I'm totally overwhelmed too... I spent all weekend purging. We ended up with 8 full-sized garbage bags full of clothes and toys and clutter, to be donated today! My house is so CLEAN that I don't really know what to do with myself today, haha!
That's great! I love that feeling of coming home from a donation drop off, and how empty the house feels. I have a closet stuffed with 3 large bins of consignment stuff the first weekend of April, and I cannot wait until that is gone, because that closet will be empty minus a couple bins of toys we rotate out for the kids.
__________________

Mama to 3, soon-to-be-4

I_am_Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
jessicanashville's Avatar
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Boring Indiana
Posts: 2,880
My Mood:
Re: How do you know when you've purged enough?

I have been going through my house for the last year and I am on my second time through everything. I am just to the point where it is feeling breathable and I don't feel like I have a million things to go through all the time... I want to get to a good point and then maintain. I have the mindset I will always have things to get rid of because I have kids... Clothes they have outgrown... Toys they don't play with etc
__________________
Single, working 2 jobs mama to 3 boys Jace (7), Myles (4), Kip (6months), I ship once MAYBE twice a week.
ISO/IHA:http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...1#post16975682
My store:https://www.etsy.com/shop/PeriwinkleParsnips
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.