Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
lisa0842
Registered Users
seller

I just started selling on ebay. My first items sold last week. I don't know what I'm saving towards. O will probably use the extra money to pay down debt. I also need to work on spending less. But now that dd is out of diapers it should be easier. Cloth didn't really save us money. ;-)

Advertisement

lisa0842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
Hoping2BaMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No luck on finding any profitable text books at Goodwill today. I used book scout or whatever it's called.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Earning/Saving Extra Money ~~ March ~~ Think Spring!!

Ok so, rocking baby boy, actually have a few moments to post.

As my siggie says, my name is Kim, I am a mom of 4. They are actually 17, 4, 2, and 4.5 months. I am a SAHM. DH works full time for a great company, but they have been stingy with the OT lately and we do need that OT. He is on the lookout for something else, but I would prefer he stay where he is at, it really is a great place for him to be.

So there's that, plus wanting to pay off all our debts. Most of our debt is medical, and that was added to when my son was admitted to the childrens hospital last month. Those are the two main reasons for me to be trying to make money. And of course ther is just the general idea that money is a good thing lol.

Some of the things I am doing: I have an Etsy shop. Link is in my siggie. Please feel free to check it out. I just haphazardly threw it together late last year. This month I plan to retake all the pics in it, reorganize it and expand some more. Ni have a huge stash of fabric to sew through.

I also am a photographer, that link is also in the siggie. I know you wouldn't know it by looking at the Etsy shop but when I started the shop the goal was to get SOMETHING up and going. Anyway, I have one wedding already booked for June, and am working a couple other leads. This month I plan to take some new pics of my kids to share on my blog, post some more CL ads, print up some flyers to mail, and if I can come up with the marketing budget maybe sign up for a bridal show or a baby show.

Some other things I am doing are that I have a potential lead on babysitting some kids. It would be really good money but a lot of work. I don't think the lead will pan out anyway but it is worth a shot. If it does, great, if not, ok. I also have started hitting CL up in the wanted section to see I people are looking for anything I might have and can get rid of. I did find someone looking for cloth diapers, I offered up two of my green Flips because I hate green and somehow ended up with six green ones. She accepted the offer but wants to pick up next week when she gets paid. I am not counting that chicken before it hatches, it doesn't count until the money is in hand.

Dh is also in on it. He sold his motorcycle the other day, and is looking to start a little side deal of his own, flipping cars. Like house flipping but much less expensive and easier to do.

Some other little things we are doing are putting all our change in a change jar. Ours counts it and it's interestin how motivating it is to actually see the number on the jar. Also, I have started this week trying to "just save $5". Meaning trying to just spend $5 less on a particular budget item, like trying to come in just $5 under on groceries. Anything I can manage that way goes into savings.

So that's my intro in the thread.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

I've been spending my time tagging and getting ready for the kids consignment sale I'm participating in. I drop off my items on Tuesday evening and after that I will get back to listing misc. items on CL and ebay. I've been working harder at hitting swagbucks. Even though I'm not doing nearly as well as I have done in previous years (when I was spending more time with it) I am earning more than I have in months.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Oh, and I do Swagbucks, though I haven't been able to do much lately, I just can't seem to get anything to credit lately.

And, we have a community garage sale in may, so I am going to start prepping for that. Though I have discovered that the more prep I do, the less I make. I generally do better when I just throw it all on the lawn and see what happens.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #16
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
I've been spending my time tagging and getting ready for the kids consignment sale I'm participating in. I drop off my items on Tuesday evening and after that I will get back to listing misc. items on CL and ebay. I've been working harder at hitting swagbucks. Even though I'm not doing nearly as well as I have done in previous years (when I was spending more time with it) I am earning more than I have in months.
Are you in Indy? We have a consignment sale going on theist coming weekend.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #17
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Are you in Indy? We have a consignment sale going on theist coming weekend.
Nope, IL. There are quite a few kids sales coming up in the next two months in my area. I am doing one next week and then I signed up for another one next month where I will be bringing my "leftovers" from the first sale.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

It's been a busy and crazy couple of weeks here. I'm kind of frustrated, I came in $15 short of my goal last month. Oh well.

I'm lowering my goal this month, in part because I have far less to sell and in part because it is going to be a very busy month. Yesterday was my only "plans free Saturday" the whole month. So, my goal is going to be $350. I'm also thinking if I can get the budget back on track that I'll be lowering my monthly goal again next month. We could use the money, but I'm also finding it to be a challenge to juggle so much right now. Hopefully DH will agree to find some small things to do on the side.

I did make $36 today. I have another $33 pending for Friday. Encouraged by the amount of interest I've had in the last two days, so going to really scorer for things to sell.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
Tiffanylamp
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
I am looking to get some of my gentle used baby items sold, and have considered one of the local consignment sales, except they charge a fee to sell and then take about 40% of the sale price! It seems awfully high and I can not find anything better I have been thinking about doing ebay or craigslist, but have no experience selling on those sites, so a little nervous to try. I really would like to do it in one shot at a sale, but it just looks like a lot of work for not much return.

goodluck selling! Hope it is a success!!!

Happily getting my Groupon on

Last edited by Tiffanylamp; 03-03-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Tiffanylamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanylamp View Post
I have been thinking about doing ebay or craigslist, but have no experience selling on those sites, so a little nervous to try.
Give CL a try. It's a very easy platform to use. Take some pics, go to CL, click on post to classifieds and it will walk you through a couple of short steps. It's very easy to do and user friendly. If you get confident there, try ebay. Ebay is more complicated because they ask for so much information for one little listing, but even after you do it a couple of times you'll be good at it.

For the consignment, does it come around every year? Perhaps just send a handful of items and see what happens. If you like the outcome, do more next year. If not, then you know.

AFM, I got sidetracked on my one and only weekend goal (to set up the Nintendo and test the valuable game) and ended up sorting through stuff for our garage sale. I could post a thread over in Minimalist with my basement of shame. I got everything sorted by category so I can easily price it and have it all ready for the sale.

So I'm no closer to my goal for the week.....