Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #221
photocat
Registered Users

Re: Paleo Chat Jan, Feb & March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnsmom View Post
Help! My stomach is bloated and in pain on paleo. Did anyone have die off symptoms? For paleo fast food, fish can be cooked really quickly in a hot pan, with some sautéed spinach or greens. Eggs are fast. Smoothies too. I also do one big pot of soup a week.

If you've significantly increased your intake of veggies that could be causing the bloating. Other suggestions, use more cooked veggies and less raw, chew them well, maybe try some digestive enzymes. Apparently a sudden increase in coconut oil consumption can upset some people's stomachs too.

But yeah, you might need to go stricter with the auto immune protocol.

Not fun, hope you feel better soon.

Advertisement

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #222
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I had to back off the raw spinach and green apples. I ate brown rice and felt better really quickly. This is of no help to me if I end up feeling worse.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #223
photocat
Registered Users

I would make scrambled eggs and cook your spinach in that. Also, I soak brown rice, then cook it and lace it with butter. I give it to my kids but I do sneak some myself too.

Perhaps stay away from raw veggies and have more of them cooked? And green apples could be problematic, I don't generally eat greens (here they are granny smiths apples) because I find they tend to upset my stomach a little.

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #224
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As far as grains go, rice is pretty innocuous. It is empty carb, but there really isn't anything in white rice that is considered bad for you.

ITA - Raw veggies-- especially broccoli and cauliflower-- really make me bloated. Apples, I don't have a problem with, but I eat red, not green. Part of the Paleo diet, I think, is really listening to what your body is telling you and learning what you can and cannot tolerate well.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #225
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

Im planning on smoothies for breakfast is there a paleo Type protein powder i can put in the smoothies?
Old 03-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #226
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What about portion sizes for children? I can't seem to figure this out. When I read the lists of recommended foods on paleo sites, I see things like "half an apple" or "1/3 of a banana." If that's enough (natural) sugar for an adult, how is it not way too much sugar for a child? Guess I'm just a bit confused... I'm just thinking "out loud" too

The "eat until you're satisfied" does make sense to me.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #227
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
As far as grains go, rice is pretty innocuous. It is empty carb, but there really isn't anything in white rice that is considered bad for you.

ITA - Raw veggies-- especially broccoli and cauliflower-- really make me bloated. Apples, I don't have a problem with, but I eat red, not green. Part of the Paleo diet, I think, is really listening to what your body is telling you and learning what you can and cannot tolerate well.
Yes, I was trying to avoid all grains, but after feeling much better after eating brown rice I am going to keep eating it sparingly. I am eating green apples because I am trying to eliminate yeast and they have less sugar than red. I feel much better after avoiding spinach and apples for a few days.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #228
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel j View Post
What about portion sizes for children? I can't seem to figure this out. When I read the lists of recommended foods on paleo sites, I see things like "half an apple" or "1/3 of a banana." If that's enough (natural) sugar for an adult, how is it not way too much sugar for a child? Guess I'm just a bit confused... I'm just thinking "out loud" too

The "eat until you're satisfied" does make sense to me.
Personally, I feed them until they are full. I try to start with meat and veg and follow up with fruit, but my kids eat a lot of fruit. I'm honestly not overly worried about it. They are growing and active. I try to limit it for me (when not pregnant), but I am not nearly as active as they are.

Also, I eat whole apples and bananas LOL <3
Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #229
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
Personally, I feed them until they are full. I try to start with meat and veg and follow up with fruit, but my kids eat a lot of fruit. I'm honestly not overly worried about it. They are growing and active. I try to limit it for me (when not pregnant), but I am not nearly as active as they are.

Also, I eat whole apples and bananas LOL <3
Same here, usually. lol
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #230
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I swear I am going broke eating this way! How are others dealing with it? We have spent over $200 this week on food and are now running out of stuff. I am in a high COL area but geez. How much does your family spend per week?