Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
HS Weight Loss Thread- March

Support for homeschooling moms trying to lose weight

Advertisement


Last edited by 7mom7; 03-04-2013 at 02:41 PM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: HS Weight Loss Thread- March

I've almost talked myself into joining WW...maybe even tonight! I'm thinking maybe I should do it while I've got the courage. I know if I'm paying for it I'll stick with it and I'm feeling like I need the accountability.

I've been trying to track calories on MFP since December but without the accountability I'm not very good at it. I'm also trying to exercise once a day for at least 30 minutes. My biggest food issue is portion control. Also, boredom with food. I get bored with the same things day in and day out which usually leads to take out of some kind that is full of fat and calories.

Last edited by 7mom7; 03-07-2013 at 04:59 PM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fort Huachuca, AZ
Posts: 509
Re: HS Weight Loss Thread- March

Hi. This is just what I need! I have put on about 30 lbs in the last two years and I need to get it off.

Height: 5'4"
CW: 171
GW:140-145

I definitely have a problem with over-eating. We eat really healthy; but I end up eating too much. Finding time to exercise is hard...my kids don't nap, and are up from 6am to 8:30pm. Since we homeschool, and my dh is deployed, that is constant mommy-kids! Going to try running on the treadmill after they go to bed, but am worried that I won't be able to go to sleep afterwards...but I haven't been too good about getting up early either! I want to lose the weight before my dh gets home.

Thanks for starting this!
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
Kätzchen's Avatar
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,554
I'm homeschooling and losing weight, though, it's not typical weight loss, just cutting, rather.
I'm 5'4" 105lbs, cutting to 100, then lean bulking to 110.

I weight lift and stick to cardio. I'm currently eating at 1270 cal a day and shoot for 120g protein, under 60g carb, less than 20g sugar. I am still nursing my 19mo on demand, so I really like to pay attention my intake quality.

I do 40min of cardio 3x a week, which is running 5mi three times a week. I lift on the off days.

I really like this bit of advice for anyone looking to get in better shape.

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

__________________

Last edited by Kätzchen; 03-04-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: HS Weight Loss Thread- March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
I'm homeschooling and losing weight, though, it's not typical weight loss, just cutting, rather.
I'm 5'4" 105lbs, cutting to 100, then lean bulking to 110.

I weight lift and stick to cardio. I'm currently eating at 1270 cal a day and shoot for 120g protein, under 60g carb, less than 20g sugar. I am still nursing my 19mo on demand, so I really like to pay attention my intake quality.

I do 40min of cardio 3x a week, which is running 5mi three times a week. I lift on the off days.

I really like this bit of advice for anyone looking to get in better shape.

http://liamrosen.com/fitness.html

I'm really interested in strength training but I don't know when I'd have the time to hit the gym. DH lifts and I talked with him last night about how I could make it work but we couldn't figure out a solution. We have PX90 but its too crazy for me. I did 30 Day Shred this morning. Do you do weights at home or at the gym?
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
Kätzchen's Avatar
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7

I'm really interested in strength training but I don't know when I'd have the time to hit the gym. DH lifts and I talked with him last night about how I could make it work but we couldn't figure out a solution. We have PX90 but its too crazy for me. I did 30 Day Shred this morning. Do you do weights at home or at the gym?
I do it at home, but I have put a lot of money into it as it has become a huge hobby. I recommend a pull up bar to anyone starting. I'm not very "in" on the trendy workout routines, but the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe is definitely something that has broken down the fundamentals of strength training for me. I do 100% of my lifting/etc with my 19mo nearby (safely!). To me, it's just a lifestyle I have come to really enjoy.
__________________
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
lyn1270's Avatar
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 6,062
My Mood:
Re: HS Weight Loss Thread- March

hi all! i've done WW in the past and had loads of success. but i've tried in the last yr and was just a miserable failure. not until after i stopped going did i find out it was due to some health issues. i got very sick w/gallbladder issues in the fall, but now I have it mostly under control. I've had to switch to a vegan diet in order to manage, but it's actually been easy and I feel so much better.

okay...so starting stats...

5'8"
SW 197 (in january)
CW 188
GW 160ish

I'm not really focusing on a number right now. I know that sounds insane, but with my health what it was, I really want to focus on feeling good and eating well. I have noticed that as I've changed my diet, my cravings have almost completely gone away and my self control is improved. As my diet improves, I am focusing more and more on portion control and better choices. I never made horrible choices before, but I didn't realize how sick I was until October. Had I not been so busy w/kids and other obligations, I would have paid more attention to my body and my health and what kind of choices I was making because of that.

I do find that for many of us mamas, the hardest part is just energy and lack of sleep, particularly if your LOs are still little or don't sleep through the night. For me, I have 3 LOs (8y.o., 5y.o., and 3y.o.). 2 of them are yet to sleep through the night. Add that to me working as a WAHM at night and HSing and then all the church obligations...well...tired just creeps up on ya So, I am hoping, that as God changes my season, I will have more sleep and more energy and be more healthy over all. I am looking at this as a life long process not an immediate cure
__________________
WAHM Super Mommy to 3 Amazing Boys & Super Wife to a Fiddle Playing Fool
Etsy
GALLERY
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: HS Weight Loss Thread- March

Lyn I'm right there with you. My kids eat a very strict diet which is healthy but much higher in fat than what I need. I do not take care of myself as far as sleep goes. I WAH as well, nearly FT so I tend to work at night. I too am looking for health more than a specific number but I'm also looking to get my confidence back. I hardly recognize myself at this weight. Glad to have another HSer that WAH on this journey with me.

You really got my wheels turning about WW. Many women very close to me have lost a lot of weight and maintained it with WW. I haven't been to a meeting in 7+ years. Online didn't work for me. I have 4 months until the big b-day. Really hoping the WW accountability will help me reach my goals.

Last edited by 7mom7; 03-04-2013 at 04:05 PM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
lyn1270's Avatar
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 6,062
My Mood:
Re: HS Weight Loss Thread- March

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Lyn I'm right there with you. My kids eat a very strict diet which is healthy but much higher in fat than what I need. I do not take care of myself as far as sleep goes. I WAH as well, nearly FT so I tend to work at night. I too am looking for health more than a specific number but I'm also looking to get my confidence back. I hardly recognize myself at this weight. Glad to have another HSer that WAH on this journey with me.

You really got my wheels turning about WW. Many women very close to me have lost a lot of weight and maintained it with WW. I haven't been to a meeting in 7+ years. Online didn't work for me. I have 4 months until the big b-day. Really hoping the WW accountability will help me reach my goals.
I love the WW program. And the new one is really so much better. I think my main problem w/WW when I started going last August was that I didn't realize I was sick, so my body was just rejecting everything. Once I started getting healthy, I think I would be able to do WW just fine. But now it's a $$ thing. I can't justify the expense thing right now (took over finances from DH...hot.mess.).

and I totally understand about not recognizing yourself anymore. before I had my boys, i was SO fit. I ran 6+ miles 3-4 times/week. I worked out 2hrs or more a day. I did yoga an hour a day, 4x/week. I was in SUCH good shape. Then I had the boys...and I had them when I was old LOL (in mama yrs anyway LOL). then came the nursing...and sick babies....and working at home....and babies that don't sleep O.o....and all that comes w/being Super Mommy Now I've embraced who I am and that God has me in a different season. Now I don't so much want to be a super model as much as I just want to feel good and be healthy and be able to comfortably wear all the clothes in my closet

so glad you started this thread!!
__________________
WAHM Super Mommy to 3 Amazing Boys & Super Wife to a Fiddle Playing Fool
Etsy
GALLERY
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
7mom7
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 615
Re: HS Weight Loss Thread- March

Okay so I just attended my first WW meeting in SEVERAL years. I only thought I was fat back then. My SW back then is my GW now I can see already that what I've been missing is protein, lean protein to be correct. I'm a carbaholic to put it mildly and counting calories doesn't take into consideration that none of what I'm eating is fueling my body. Favorite snack idea they suggested was fat free cottage cheese with salsa...I ran to the store to buy some right after the meeting. DH said ewww, until I made him taste a chip...it was delicious! Next on my list is finding a healthier tortilla chip so I can consume all the salsa and cottage cheese that my heart desires!
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright © 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.