Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Please tell me about Sonlight for 1st grade

I have been looking through the website, but Im still a little confused. I am starting to get a feel for the curric, but still not entirely sure what they do for science, LA and history. I would love some reviews on the curric and some insight into it. Thanks!

Beth - homeschooling, Christ loving mom to Magus '99, Malakai '01, Bastian '07, Jace '09, Step Mom to Seth '95, married to Damon, love of my life!
My last ds is pl'ed!
faiths13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Please tell me about Sonlight for 1st grade

I think you purchase the Science and LA (and Math) separately choosing between 1 or 2 curriculum they have for you to choose from. If you chat or call in they are really helpful and will answer all of your questions.

We didn't like Sonlight simply b/c it is A LOT of reading! It was hard for my kids to sit still and listen to that many books...if your kids really like reading and being read too it is a great curriculum .
Wife to DH for 8 years...Mom to 5 kiddos
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

We liked Sonlight for all the reading! I think reading is sooo important! ( This is why I think homeschooling rocks by the way, not every family works/learns the same way )
Sonlight is a LOT of reading. BUT I actually am not going with Sonlight next year. I may do the separate Science and History ect. We have a math curriculum we love ( rightstart ) and I can read to them out of our extensive library! We actually own most of the 1st grade books and I found the teachers guide to not be any better than I could have done easily on my own for Kindergarten.
Angel wife to the love of my life Brandon and mother to Scarlette 5/07 Ruby 1/09 and with #3 due with another sweet daughter in September <3

Angel Murphy Photography
asteiner18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
Registered Users

We have the first grade curriculum and this is what I have found:
- I love the reading selections but we haven't been able to keep up with all the reading which is no big deal. It makes for a great library and I'm sure we'll eventually get through all the books.
- I found that their LA was not for us. I just couldn't get the "flow" of their lessons and I also felt like I needed something that provided me with more help in teaching. We've switched to Shirley English and really like how each lesson is laid out.
- We've enjoyed their science. Great book selections.
- I love history but I found that the sonlight History program was kind of dry and at times I thought way above my child's level. I need to find a replacement. So if you find something, let me know:-)
Sassybottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Registered Users

We did Core B a couple of years ago and really liked it. There is a lot of reading but I didn't do all the read alouds, some just weren't interesting to us and I could take more time on the ones we loved. We also enjoyed the science. I didn't use their LA so no help there. In all I love Sonlight and plan on using it for years, great book selections and guides that still allow room to do your own thing.
Jesus follower, pacifist, homeschooled, homeschooling mama of 5
For there to be peace at home there must be peace in the heart. ~Lao Tzu
Leah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Registered Users

I'm using SL Core A for first grade in the fall.

Here's my plan.

4 days/week
*Core A for history, geography, read aloud, world cultures, time line, and calendar.
*Science A for science
*first language lessons for grammar
*All about spelling
*Writing with ease
*singapore for math
*reading on dd's level for reading...just reading aloud books for now...I may eventually use HOD drawn into the heart of reading, but not yet.
*children desiring God for bible and memory verses

art +math and reading is on fridays and i have artistic pursuits for fun!
Mom to a sweet girlie (3/12/07) and monkey boy (6/12/10).
momof2littles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
lady longs
Registered Users
My Mood:

We have used Sonlight for several years - so I can definitely chime in with my experience.

1st of all, I did not like their LA at all. As strongly as I could suggest this, i would suggest you find a different LA program. It just isn't structured or concrete enough. IMO

That being said, we love everything else about it. We use their readers, read a louds, and History. We do find that it is a lot of reading - which we love. But, we have always taken 2 years to do a curriculum. So, i guess that technically we only do about half the curriculum. It has been amazing. My kids absolutely love history - and I really think it's because the books they choose are so fascinating. My DD went to a private school for one semester last year and she complained to me frequently about how boring "their history" was and asked if I could talk to her teacher and show her how to make History interesting.

So, we really consider it our Literature and History component of our school (and comprehension, discussion, logic building, debating, imagination, assimilation of information and forming an opinion....etc)

We have not used their science because we had already found a science we loved, so we didn't switch. But, upon perusing it, it looks good. For science, I highly recommend Noeo.
Wife to my Easy-Breezy Husband, Mama and Teacher to my 4 kiddos: DD 12, DS 10, DS 3, DD 6 weeks

Currently working on...Leading my heart where it should go....not yelling....and practicing patience.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote