Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talk to me about 2nd grade curriculum

Ok, so I'm looking for 2nd grade curriculum for my DS...he has ADHD/ADD so I have to keep that in mind. He's not a stronger reader or strong in Math. I am looking for something Christian based/Bible based and that is VERY easy to follow. I am leaning strongly towards a box curriculum b/c we are expecting a baby over the summer and I need something where it is all laid out for me. I don't have to include Science or History b/c I am pretty sure we are going to do a tutorial that will cover that next year...math and language arts are my main concern. We used Funnix this year and it's worked pretty well and has 'clicked' with him, but doesn't have the Bible side. We tried www.time4learning.com which he liked, but I found it lacking. We have tried Sonlight before and he hates all the reading. We tried Math U See and it didn't 'click' for him for whatever reason...so what would you suggest?

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Talk to me about 2nd grade curriculum

Well, I was going to suggest Math-U-See, but if you've already tried that and it didn't work, I don't really know. I know a lot of ladies really like My Father's World, so that would probably be worth looking into.

However, if Funnix is working and is just lacking Bible, I would consider simply adding Bible instead of going with a whole new curriculum.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am afraid that he will be 'bored' with Funnix by the time we get to 2nd grade. He was excited about the possibility of trying something new. I have been looking into MFW Adventures for 2nd grade. I have also been looking a little at Christian Light Publications...I just don't know if he would benefit from the worksheets or just do it to been done with it and not get anything out of it? I thought about HOD too, but I can't really figure that one out...I like the BJU videos, but it's SO EXPENSIVE!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #4
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MFW might be the way to go. You can mix it up and skip around as you need to. For reading and phonics we use Rod & Staff. It's cheap and to the point. No fluff. We can get in and get it done. It's worksheet based, but the lesson aren't usually too long. the cool thing is that their reading lessons are Bible stories, so they are getting Bible & reading at the same time. And Rod & staff requires little to no prep time on my part. They have a math program as well, but I have never looked into it. For math we use mammoth math. again, no fluff. just to the point. get in, get done. for all the other stuff, we just read books, do random experiments, and participate in a Classical Conversations community.

take a look at progressivephonics.com It might be good for him as well. oh, and reading eggs. it's a cool little on-line reading program. my DSs all love it. you can get a 14 day free trial. and if you look around different places offer discounts for them. it will give him a test and then start instruction based on how he does.

oh, and i agree about time4learning. DS likes it but I was not impressed.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
HeatherDanae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm doing christian light publications (for LA and math) and HOD for next year. I also have an ADHD child (who will be going into first grade) and I love how I can use HOD's box sections to not overwhelm him with school all in one sitting but take it by bite chunks thoughout the day. It's all laid out for me with very little planning ahead. And he loves christian light pub! He feels such a great accomplishment when he finishes a workbook. I like how it's laid out so he can become more independent and know what's expected of him.

Also, biblical teaching and character building is all throughout both curriculums.

Last edited by HeatherDanae; 02-28-2013 at 06:19 PM.
HeatherDanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would recommend My Father's World or Heart of Dakota as well. Not sure on math though...
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think we've decided on CLE for the time being...it's cheap enough that I've found some stuff used so we are going to start with 1st grade this year and see how far we get .

T
Old 03-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas for all you input!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
ACSNMama
Registered Users,br>Formerly: Mrs***08
seller