Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Singapore or Miquon math? Which? Use them together? Advice please!

These are the two Im looking at... I was going to do Miquon with MEP, but now Im thinking maybe Miquon with Singapore would be better?

Im really sold on Miquon but it worries me a little that there are only 3 years of it, and I don't want to have a rough transition in 3 years from one math to another.

Would Singapore and Miquon be overkill for first grade? I definitely don't want to overwhelm ds with math!

***If we use singapore and ds is starting 1st grade, should he take the assesment test or just start with 1A?

Advertisement

Last edited by threelittlehoneys; 03-05-2013 at 09:40 AM.
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Signapore or Miquon math?

We use Miquon as a supplement to Saxon. I love it but i can't see it as the primary math cirriculum. It is very visual, which helped my son understand the concepts but then saxon helps to take it from there.

i've not used singapore
Old 03-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
tink90
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another vote for Miquon, but we unschool so I'm not sure if you want something more "structured". My kids are very visual and hands-on and understand cuisenaire rods much better than a bazillion problems on a piece of paper. It's too abstract and meaningless...

*.~.~.*Petalheads*.~.~.*
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1484149
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Petal...61515813886015
tink90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
babysniffles
Registered Users

We use Singapore. I have liked it so far. It gives good guidance to me teaching, and my daughter likes the manner that everything is presented.
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink90 View Post
Another vote for Miquon, but we unschool so I'm not sure if you want something more "structured". My kids are very visual and hands-on and understand cuisenaire rods much better than a bazillion problems on a piece of paper. It's too abstract and meaningless...
No, Im not worried at all about problems on paper. Im really sold on Miquon, the only thing holding me up from just going ahead with it is Im worried about the transition in 3 years. Since it's such a different approach to maths, I don't want my kids to struggle with whatever we use after that.

I REALLY want to use Miquon. Signapore looks good too though, and it goes up to grade 12... So at this point Im thinking about using them together but geez, thatll be a ton of math and ds will only be in 1st grade. LOL. Not sure what to do!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote