Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
marzi2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: For the love of reading group! ~FEBRUARY~ *Join us!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by threestraycats View Post
how do you like the orchardist? it is on my list...
I like it quite a bit! But for whatever reason, (maybe because it's on my Nook which I forget to charge or because I started reading it while still in grad classes), it's taking me awhile to get through it. The time period and location makes it particularly interesting to me.

Advertisement

marzi2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #22
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzi2013 View Post
I like it quite a bit! But for whatever reason, (maybe because it's on my Nook which I forget to charge or because I started reading it while still in grad classes), it's taking me awhile to get through it. The time period and location makes it particularly interesting to me.
good to know, thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #23
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

I have been mostly busy visiting with my mom this month! My siblings and I flew her up here to WI from TX for an extended vacation and she was able to stay just shy of a month. It was great! So my reading was a little slower this month. I did read The Woodcutter by Kate Danley for my ill book club (1st meet up is this afternoon). It totally reminded me of the tv series, Once Upon a Time. It was a good, fast read. I have The Valley of Horses on audio waiting, but decided to go back and listen to the last half of book 1 again to freshen my memory, so that's playing on my iPod. Right now I have Divergent and Outlander going, both of which are pretty great.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #24
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I finished Dolores Claiborne yesterday. It was a nice quick read. So that was the fiction so far. We have a lot of Ursula Le Guin and Isaac Asimov... but I can't. My husband will love me to death, but I simply just can't. There isn't much else fiction wise in the house as I never buy the books I read. The library overwhelms me. I want a read that is GOOD but literary too at this time. Any ideas? I'm really out of the loop as to what is good literature and a good story. The last time I paid attention was in 2008, I think.

For now, I'll stick to the journal articles until I can make up my mind where to go.

Last edited by vatblack; 02-24-2013 at 03:27 PM.
vatblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #25
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

And just a silly question that is going to sound nostalgic:

When I was a child, and the power went off or we went camping (without power in the 80s), I used to curl up with a book. What do you do if all your books are on Nook or some tablet? How long does a charge last?

How many paper and ink books do you guys still use? I still use that exclusively. No tablets in this house yet.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #26
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
I finished Dolores Claiborne yesterday. It was a nice quick read. So that was the fiction so far. We have a lot of Ursula Le Guin and Isaac Asimov... but I can't. My husband will love me to death, but I simply just can't. There isn't much else fiction wise in the house as I never buy the books I read. The library overwhelms me. I want a read that is GOOD but literary too at this time. Any ideas? I'm really out of the loop as to what is good literature and a good story. The last time I paid attention was in 2008, I think.

For now, I'll stick to the journal articles until I can make up my mind where to go.
I'm sure you've found something by now as I'm seeing this late, but what about a nice classic? Jane Austen is great and I get sucked into her stories pretty quick. Or maybe some Kate Morton? Her Forgotten Garden was really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
And just a silly question that is going to sound nostalgic:

When I was a child, and the power went off or we went camping (without power in the 80s), I used to curl up with a book. What do you do if all your books are on Nook or some tablet? How long does a charge last?

How many paper and ink books do you guys still use? I still use that exclusively. No tablets in this house yet.
My Nook lasts about a month if I read on it every single day. Since I also read paper books (love them still!!) my Nook charge lasts quite a bit longer than that. If I know I'll be on vacation or away with the Nook, I just charge it up to full and I know I'll be good. I tend to read on my Nook during the day while the kiddos are running around and I'm up and down often helping/playing/cooking/etc. It's much easier than trying to keep track of a bookmark. Or the kids will purposely take my bookmarks out, etc. Also, I'm always under a nursing baby these days, so one-handed reading is pretty darn handy. I do still read paper books though. Finished one today, in fact! (Divergent - good read!)

Old 02-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #27
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
I'm sure you've found something by now as I'm seeing this late, but what about a nice classic? Jane Austen is great and I get sucked into her stories pretty quick. Or maybe some Kate Morton? Her Forgotten Garden was really good.

My Nook lasts about a month if I read on it every single day. Since I also read paper books (love them still!!) my Nook charge lasts quite a bit longer than that. If I know I'll be on vacation or away with the Nook, I just charge it up to full and I know I'll be good. I tend to read on my Nook during the day while the kiddos are running around and I'm up and down often helping/playing/cooking/etc. It's much easier than trying to keep track of a bookmark. Or the kids will purposely take my bookmarks out, etc. Also, I'm always under a nursing baby these days, so one-handed reading is pretty darn handy. I do still read paper books though. Finished one today, in fact! (Divergent - good read!)
Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into the two books you mentioned. I actually found an Afrikaans book I'm reading now. Most Afrikaans books are literary (that I own) because the friend who sends them on to me reads snobbishly (in a good way - ), so I got my literary fix there. It is only a novella though.

I am so the odd reader out when it comes to Jane Austen. Her stories irritate me and I don't get the joy from them others do. I know I'm supposed to understand that getting a man was the only way for most women to secure a healthy life back then, but I still get too angry at the fate those characters have. And each and every time they end up with the RICH guy. I read all of them though, had to for English lit! Maybe in another 10 years I'll give them a go again.

I hope to read the ones you've mentioned soon.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #28
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i finished the widow's war by sally gunning. very good read.

then, i read the virgin cure by ami mckay. this i could not put down!

such a good one!

now, it's listed on spot's corner to fund my new books coming
Old 03-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #29
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

I started a March thread - come on over!