Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

Re: March Farm/Homesteading Chatter

Jumping in, if thats okay!

Hi, my name is amanda. I live with my husband and our 8 mo daughter on a farm. Dh farms alongside his dad and grandpa (and the occassional sibling thrown in there). They do wheat, tobacco, corn, soybeans, and cattle. On top of that, his grandparents own a greenhouse that hubby and i have a partnership invested.

As a hobby, we have 27 barred rock hens and just acquired 10 new ducklings to help me in the gardens this year. My big raised herb garden is mostly well, but those chickens and ducks will come in handy for helping weed and prep my big veggie garden that seems to grow bigger each year as hubby brings me the greenhouse season's leftovers lol!

Hmm, lets see. I dont start my herb seeds til april 1st. All our veggies come from the greenhouse, and those havent been seeded quite yet (we are still working on the specialty flowers). So ive still got some waiting to do, which ive been doing by caring for the birds and putting in some time at the greenhouse.

Hoping to get to know you ladies more as the time goes by! I am jealous of those with goats, id love to have a few! Hubby says i can get some once we find a way to move my horses home (right now they all live at my parents house).

Advertisement

AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Amanda! And others! RCB - glad to have you back, and glad you had a good trip. Macy, I'm sorry about your hens! That's so frustrating! We lost 10 out of 12 chicks and 6 turkey poults one year before we lived here on the farm. We decided we couldn't get any more until we had something to keep them safe, so we talked about electric fencing, but with the kids around they make me nervous. So we decided to get our LGD, which really have been the best decision ever. It stinks to lose them though, so disheartening.
ASU...we are around. I started tomatoes and broccoli today, and will plant the peppers inside on Wednesday. I think that's it for this week on the gardening end. I started herbs a couple of weeks ago and we used them for the first time today in our dinner.
We are preparing for chicks and piglets in the next few weeks. Then my parents are going to take the kids over Spring Break for a few weeks (in April) and we're going to rent a Bobcat and put in fence posts for perimeter fencing and the garden. Need to order fencing for that, do you guys have fencing around your garden? We're looking at like 6' high I guess, to keep out the chickens. I'd so love to go less, but our chickens fly fairly high even though they are heavy breeds. They like to roost in the trusses of our barn.
We visited a christian school for A today. We will visit a public school next week. I would still love to homeschool, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. If she doesn't test into 1st grade for fall then we'll probably keep her home. T liked the christian school, which is good.
We're still trying to come up with garage plans too, arg!
Anyway, hope you guys are doing well!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
babysniffles
Registered Users

Hi, I'm new to this board, so I thought I would jump in too.

I live with my DH, kids and 1 slightly chubby black cat on only half an acre, but am working on making it as productive as possible, with hopes that perhaps, someday, we might get a little more land, one way or another.

Plans for this month are to finish moving our garden boxes to a better spot, and to build a raspberry bed. Also to get the chicken coop ship shape for when we get chicks. We don't have any chickens currently, but will be getting some after Easter. I would get them this week actually, but we are going out of town for Easter, and I don't think it would be fair to leave anyone with the responsibility of taking care of them. April is looking like a much busier month for homesteading stuff. Most of my garden going in, 3 apple trees and the raspberry bed, not to mention the chicks.

Right now I'm just focusing on homeschool, but I'm looking forward to all of things to do soon.
babysniffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi babysniffles! Welcome!
Today we have homeschool, planting peppers, watering the other plants and transplanting the herbs, puppy class, and preparing for the pigs. They're coming TOMORROW!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today we have homeschool, planting peppers, watering the other plants and transplanting the herbs, puppy class, and preparing for the pigs. They're coming TOMORROW!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
What breed did you end up getting? And where did you get them from (direct, auction)? We are most likely waiting till April. All the 4H kids have drove the prices up (the April piglets wouldn't be ready for the fair by August, so prices will drop). I'm hoping we can just all 7 from the same farmer. Did you chose electric fencing or hog paneling? We are doing paneling just so we don't have to keep the pasture mowed around the fencing.

Today DH is helping a friend butcher a cow and then sorting sheep. I'll help with evening chores (feeding) like usual. Found 2 dead pregnant ewes yesterday... they were too old and should have been sold 4 years ago, but FIL refused. Now we don't get a cent out of them... frustrating. We're getting rid of 15 old ewes when we auction the bull... even if it takes me throwing a fit to get them on that trailer. Some choices FIL makes don't make any sense. Sigh.
Our other milk cow's bag is filling out so I'm excited to have more milk. Made a gallon of yogurt and 3 balls of butter the other day. Today I'm wanting to get some ricotta made up so it can sit in the fridge and I can use it next week (better with some age on it).
Homeschooling today and doing house chores. The two little ones are feeling a bit off... praying they don't end up with the flu! The older two are right as rain. I was wanting to go to the library today to pick up a slew of things and to pay some fines too, but it depends on how everyone is feeling. We decided no tv 6 days a week (only van time, if it's too cold for them to help me with chores) and so we've been reading a ton more and I ordered a bunch of books on cd.

Have a great day ladies! Welcome to BabySniffles! We will be getting meat chicks around the same time as you (mid April)! So fun! A raspberry bed sounds so amazing! I need to try to do better with strawberries this year. Unsure of how to get more berries out of them... maybe we just don't have the soil for them???
Amanda-We are a family farm as well. THough DH's dad is not doing much these days (cancer). It's just DH and I mainly. We're working towards DH quitting his factory job so he can farm full time next year. This year will be crazy with no help, working fulltime, and doing all the farmwork come planting season. God give us grace!

Amanda- what recipes do you use for hummus? Love it, but have never made it!
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
AJH1544
Registered Users
seller

Those of you who have a milk cow, do you drink raw milk? How long does it stay good for? Does it taste different than pasteurized? How much do you get off one or two cows?
AJH1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #18
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Don't have a core but get ours from a farm, good about 10 days till 2 weeks. Depending on . How much feed and your of cow 4-8 gallons per day from what I have learned
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How do you make ricotta?
We are buying half a pig this summer, if we bought a piglet, how much do they eat and what do they eat m how long till they can be butchered?
I have about 20 chickens, when is a good time to let them in the garden or would they destroy it? I want them to rest the bus but fear they will eat the plant s
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!

Last edited by ctj101502; 03-06-2013 at 01:42 PM.
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #20
RJ6Mommy
Registered Users
seller

Life here, lets see.
bought five pregnant dairy goats last month for my kids 4-h project. most are due the middle of April.
Our 4 bummer lambs are getting butchered in 2 weeks at the same time as our two pigs.
Our baby Rabbits at now 4 and 5 weeks and all 30 are growing nicely. This weekend I have to breed two of my does so they will have babies in time for the kids to use them as their meat pens at fair.
We have 22 chicks different dual purpose chicks bought to be both meat and egg layers. Three of my hens went broody and are also hatching us chicks, we will be in chick over load. In April we should be getting our meat birds so my daughter has a meat pen at fair.
Last night we got 5 registered purebred Southdown sheep from a farm that the lady passed away and donated them to a 4-h family. That family was us. All 4 ewes were pregnant. One came over with two brand new ram lambs, two others are due any time, and one had to be left at the farm in the care of a neighbor because she went down and they were not sure if was going to lamb or was sick ither way it was not the right time to move her. The big daddy Ram is huge.
Well al that and Basketball season is still going with my sons team that will be going to championships. Baseball and softball just started and 4-h is out of control. So much going on with 6 kids, 87 animals, sports and life.
Erin married to Justin since 3/2/02 , EBF, CDing, BWing, vaxing, SAHM to 7 Kids, 6 on earth and 1 in heaven. Ruben James 9/10/99 , Robert Justin 10/5/02 , Rebecca Joy 12/5/03 , Raychel Jolee 3/30/05 , **Russell Jack RIP 12/14/06**, Rylan Josiah 7/3/08 , Ramsee Jayce 4/24/11
RJ6Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote