Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
From nutramigen to...?

Ds is currently on nutramigen and I'm not sure what to switch him to when he's a year. I guess we could see if his dairy sensitivity has passed but barring that, what next? I thought soy sensitivity went hand in hand with dairy.

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
blackberry75
Registered Users

Re: From nutramigen to...?

Hemp and flax milk are really healthy. I don't personally like the taste of the hemp, but it's not bad. The flax, if you can find it, is pretty good.
blackberry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
Ive never heard that soy went with diary sensitivity. Ds is on nutramigin and his ped said we could try soy-if I wanted-at 6mos. The ped that saw ds when his problem with dairy showed up almost put him on soy but decided to go with nutramigin b/c ds was super duper gassy. Are there studies saying the 2 can be connected? I'd be interested in reading them

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My girls were both dairy and soy sensitive/allergic. There are definitely connections but I'm not sure the exact number, a quick search came up with kellymom.com: "A significant percentage of babies with cow’s milk protein allergy will also react to soy. Most dairy-allergic babies will also react to goat’s milk or sheep’s milk." I didn't look too far into her sources but it rang true for both my girls.

We just tried to eat a really balanced diet after they were weaned from breastmilk around 18 months. We cook with almond milk and occasionally they drink that but I just make sure they are getting their calcium, fat, and protein from other sources. Mine couldn't (and still can't) have cheese, yogurt, etc. Is your guy able to tolerate any of that? If so you can probably easily use those to supplement in place of milk. Almond milk is really lacking in most nutrients other than calcium and we haven't had luck finding hemp or flax locally that isn't outrageously expensive.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
7mom7
Registered Users

I've done a ton of research in this and for us coconut milk is the best option. It is high in multi-chain fatty acids and coconuts themselves have MANY healing properties. Soy would be at the very bottom of my list. Soy is highly genetically modified and has phytoestrogens which may act like estrogen in the body and may disrupt hormone levels.

Last edited by 7mom7; 03-05-2013 at 08:50 PM.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

You could try something like almond milk or rice milk. My DS outgrew his milk allergy by the time he was a year old, so he just went to milk. Some people continue to give formula, they just mix it up and put it in a cup instead of a bottle. A girl I nannied for was severely allergic to milk, but not soy (confirmed by a RAST test).

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I would recommend an almond or coconut milk. True dairy protein sensitivities are often, but not always, accompanied by some degree of sensitivity to soy as well. Soy milk isn't the greatest healthwise either, I've heard. Also, you don't have to magically cut off formula at 1 year. You can keep the formula and slowly transition as well.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I would recommend an almond or coconut milk. True dairy protein sensitivities are often, but not always, accompanied by some degree of sensitivity to soy as well. Soy milk isn't the greatest healthwise either, I've heard. Also, you don't have to magically cut off formula at 1 year. You can keep the formula and slowly transition as well.
we're sort of desperate to get away from formula since we spend over $200/mo on it
Old 03-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ask your ped to do a RAST allergy test (it is done with a simple blood draw) and find out if there is a true milk allergy or not. Then you will know for sure what you are dealing with.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
melfinn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do both coconut and almond milk, both vanilla flavored bc that is my personal preference. Chocolate seemed to candy like but I think that is just an old concept in my head! DS loves Almond milk but it is a little more expensive, about 60 to 70 cents more a half gallon which adds up with all he is drinking! I also have a preference in brand as of now. We like So Delicious. The other main brand, silk seems so greasy and has way too much added calcium for the amount DS drinks in a day. When washing Silk bottles they were covered with a greasy film? So Delicious has done us good so far.