Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O what do you do when you find a lost child

I found a lost child when I worked at Sears. The sweetest little maybe 2yo came down the escalator by herself. I got down to her level and offered her my hand. She took it immediately. We waited for a while at the bottom of the escalator, but when no one came looking for her, I picked her up and took her to security so the parents could be paged over the loudspeaker. She clung to me the whole time. Did not speak English, and would not speak to anyone around me who were asking her questions in her native language. Although I was not supposed to stay with her (per company policy at the time I should have left her at the security office and returned to my area), I could not leave her and stayed with her until her parents came. I took her and stood in a prominent place so her parents would not have to search for the security office. She burst into tears and did not want to let go when her parents came. Handing her back was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. But her parents were so incredibly grateful to find their little girl. I think of that precious little girl everyday and hope she turned out alright. She would be somewhere around 20 now.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
cjs0405
Registered Users
seller

Depends on place and age and reaction of child. I found 2ish yr old girl at the fair this fall. The fair is crowded. She looked lost and was crying. I knelt down and asked her if she was lost and she came right to me so I picked her up to comfort her and just stood there holding her hoping her person would see us. She did. It wS her grandmother and she was panicked and grateful. I'm sure I would handle it differently in a different situation, but that's the only one I've had experience with thus far.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It just depends on the situation. If there is an immediate danger, like traffic, I'll move the child to a safer place first and then call out for someone to get security, etc. If it's just in the middle of the store, I'd call for an employee.
My mom was driving through her small town and saw a toddler standing in the middle of an empty parking lot. She parked her car and got out. After talking to the child and not seeing a single person around, she called the police. The mom didn't show up for almost an hour. By that point the police had taken the child to the station, only a few blocks away.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote