Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
~*~Sunflower~*~
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: San Diego (/La Jolla) moms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post

We used to live there! We were in the neighborhood right by the Vons. We loved RP. Too bad the houses aren't bigger. At the time we had 2700 sq feet, and it was huge for us, but now I can't picture 4 teenagers in that house.
That is so funny - I had my now-15 yr old in the house we lived in back then, across the street from Vons in PQ! LOL

Advertisement

~*~Sunflower~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #22
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:

We live in the flight path for Lackland now, and it doesn't bother me at all. but having a plane 50 feet over my house top every 2-3 mins all day and most of the night would be hard to live with. Some of the houses advertise some quiet house thing, I guess that is soundproofing. We'll have to hang out and see what we think. We've spent quite a bit of time on NAS North Island, and there's a lot of flying there, and it wasn't an issue for me, personally.

What do you think of the Loma Portal? There is a house there that looks quite nice, but I'm not familiar with that particular section. I've mostly driven around Sunset Cliffs and gawked.

Dh says he hasn't "been impressed" with the neighborhood there, but S La Jolla and North Point Loma have a commute he would be impressed with, I think. Really, the shorter the better, he hates commuting, and I don't want him stuck in the car for an hour or more a day hating life. But with ds's issues in school, we really need to get in to a good school.
Oh yeah, even directly in the flight path you aren't going to have planes 50 ft. over your roof. Although that does happen for approaching planes in parts of downtown. Very freaky. Loma Portal is cute, although I would try to stay a block or two away from the major streets that surround it (Midway, Nimitz, and Rosecrans) just so you get a bit more quiet. Still near/under the flight path, so there will be planes flying around. But it is a very cute neighborhood in my mind. And near Liberty Station which has a nice park and a small shopping center. We are near Sunset Cliffs (probably not quite the area you gawked at though ), and that is the part of Point Loma I'm most familiar with with the great schools and weird combination of filthy rich and filthy hippie. Housing costs are outrageous, but my commute is awesome. I always drive against traffic, and unless there is a wreck, I can drive 80+ the whole way to work and back. I take the 15 and the 163, and headed the other direction it is a complete parking lot of cars, while I rarely slow down. The 805 can be kind of congested however. And the 5 is hit and miss.

Last edited by Janine; 01-15-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #23
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Sunflower~*~ View Post
That is so funny - I had my now-15 yr old in the house we lived in back then, across the street from Vons in PQ! LOL
Wow, same neighborhood, then! We were on Appalachian Way, I loved that neighborhood. Too bad the houses just won't fit us in the long term. Dh refuses to ever put an addition on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine View Post
Oh yeah, even directly in the flight path you aren't going to have planes 50 ft. over your roof. Although that does happen for approaching planes in parts of downtown. Very freaky. Loma Portal is cute, although I would try to stay a block or two away from the major streets that surround it (Midway, Nimitz, and Rosecrans) just so you get a bit more quiet. Still near/under the flight path, so there will be planes flying around. But it is a very cute neighborhood in my mind. And near Liberty Station which has a nice park and a small shopping center. We are near Sunset Cliffs (probably not quite the area you gawked at though ), and that is the part of Point Loma I'm most familiar with with the great schools and weird combination of filthy rich and filthy hippie. Housing costs are outrageous, but my commute is awesome. I always drive against traffic, and unless there is a wreck, I can drive 80+ the whole way to work and back. I take the 15 and the 163, and headed the other direction it is a complete parking lot of cars, while I rarely slow down. The 805 can be kind of congested however. And the 5 is hit and miss.
I think we will try to rent there or La Jolla and just see if we like it. I've never lived in a "city" neighborhood before, it's always been rural or suburban, so I think it will be worthwhile to try it out. We'd be neighbors! [so now you go running for the hills, right? ]

How do you think the commute to Balboa Hosp will be?

How's the weather? Too cold for a pool?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
I think we will try to rent there or La Jolla and just see if we like it. I've never lived in a "city" neighborhood before, it's always been rural or suburban, so I think it will be worthwhile to try it out. We'd be neighbors! [so now you go running for the hills, right? ]

How do you think the commute to Balboa Hosp will be?

How's the weather? Too cold for a pool?
I think that is a good idea to rent. I think it would be awesome to be neighbors. I think Loma Portal is really gorgeous, by the way, if that is what you are leaning towards. The neighborhoods here are SO close to downtown (some spots in Loma Portal and other nearby neighborhoods have gorgeous views of downtown by the way), but they still have that suburban feel. It is a nice combo. I feel like I live in a very small town, surrounded by a very large city. Part of that is probably because we are on a peninsula, so we really are a bit more isolated than other neighborhoods. But at the same time, all the amenities of downtown are just over the hill.

As for the commute to Balboa Hospital (which I assume is in Balboa park from what google tells me), I don't think that would be too bad. There are a few ways to get there. 8 to the 163, or 8 to the 5, or just taking surface streets like Harbor Drive to get there. I usually take the 8 to the 163 to get to Balboa Park. The 8 will always be in your favor during commute time. The traffic is always in the other direction. You do sometimes hit traffic on the 163 going into downtown. I would imagine that would be the same with the 5. So you would have that to contend with. But when I take the 163 to Balboa Park, I only have to be on it for a very short while, so even in traffic it isn't that bad. But from what it looks like on our traffic website right now (at 8:00 am during the commute rush), the traffic going south on the 163 isn't dropping below 60 mph. Looks like the commute from my house to Balboa park is right around 15 minutes. In my experience, the longest part of that commute is the surface streets getting to and from the highways.

The weather here in San Diego definitely has microclimates. We are a few blocks from the beach, and we have a completely different climate than just a few miles inland. For us, it is definitely warm enough in the summer for a pool. It isn't scorching, but it gets into the 70s and 80s regularly during the summer. It is warm, but also much more mild than inland. In the winter it is usually 40s or 50s overnight, and 60s during the day. We have May Grey and June Gloom here. Those are chilly months with a LOT of overcast. The grey tends to burn off inland, but can stay all day at the coast. That can be surprising to some people who assume San Diego beaches in June will be sunny. But I kind of like the fog during that time. Kind of cozy, you know.

Last edited by Janine; 01-18-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #25
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We will be there Feb 2nd
Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
ForevergreenOrganics
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Im in scripps ranch/ mira mesa!
ForevergreenOrganics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #27
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

Hi hi! I am in mission valley! Nice to meet you all
kittenbaby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
milkmombaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm moving to the area soon
milkmombaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #29
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmombaby
I'm moving to the area soon
Yeah! SD is my favorite place! 😍
Old 03-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
You guys are making me miss California, we were on camp Pendleton but I loved sd area.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote