Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
diana51
Registered Users
seller
seller

Car sick preschooler

Is there anything we can do to help her? Besides never driving anywhere.

Advertisement

Old 03-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Car sick preschooler

have you tried sea bands?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 AM   #3
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ginger drinks or treats with real ginger, like cookies or candied ginger. It also might work we mostly did it with a dog we had but a few friends had success with this with their kids, they gave them an electrolyte drink about 10 minutes before leaving the house. It seemed to help keep their tummies settled for the car.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
have you tried sea bands?
These work for me and used to work for my cousins that had motion sickness when they were kids. Also, I use PSI Bands which work the same way but look cooler and are easier to clean if necessary.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
mrscompgeek
Registered Users
seller
seller

As someone who used to get car sick growing up I have to say - It is miserable.(And my mom has 9 siblings and they live all over the us. So I had my share of traveling) When I was old enough to swallow pills my mom gave me Ginger capsules. Now you could do candied ginger, natural gingerale, etc. You might even talk to your pediatrician about using kids bonine or Dramamine for longer trips. Don't let them read books or watch movies in the car. That can make the nausea worse. Looking out the windows helps some. A hot car makes it worse too. Make sure she isnt dressed too warmly.
mrscompgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh I feel for her! I was always so carsick growing up and still get extremely sick from motion, airplanes, 3d movies, boats, PREGNANCY etc... Worst feeling in the world since it would happen every time we got in the car. What finally cured me was being able to drive. So maybe that doesn't help you.

This was back in the day when I could sit in the front seat, so that really helped. The other thing that made a huge difference was resting my hand or face on the cold glass of the window (or the window open and the air on my face). I would try to stare strait ahead but that is very hard when you're little. The other thing that really helped was stopping the car every half hour or so and walking around with fresh air on my face. Sleeping was also extremely nice because you can't be nauseated while you sleep. And when I was much older the biggest help was dramamine. The first time I went on a long trip and didn't feel an ounce of nausea - heaven! I wasn't miserable the whole car ride.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
7mom7
Registered Users

My kiddo has recently been saying his tummy hurts in the car too. My sis and I both got carsick easily as kids and sometimes we still do as adults. She still has to ride in the front seat or drive. I'll have to give some of these tips a try.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
krismark0
Registered Users
seller

My daughter always used to say she got carsick, but she was fine in my husbands truck or in her grandpas van. She said "well I don't get truck-sick or van-sick, just car-sick." I always wrote it off as a crock, but someone mentioned maybe she feels better in a larger vehicle, or higher up...or maybe it just rides differently.

Maybe try other peoples vehicles a couple times and see if it helps. If it does..you could consider something different.
krismark0 is offline   Reply With Quote