Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby's first foods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4liam View Post
I was also thinking of skipping the rice cereal too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiiki
Rice cereal is a joke, just go with pure foods.
Yeah, just mash up some rice. You can use regular oatmeal too. Just put the dry oatmeal in a food processor to make it a bit finer if you're worried about it being to thick.

Advertisement

NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Both kids we did mashed up avocado mixed with a little bit of breast milk, then moved on to other things likes bananas, sweet potatoes, pears, peaches, etc. We never did the cereals to start.

DS wasn't big on the purees, so I didn't push them too much, and then he just preferred bits of food.

DD just started solids, so we're just starting with some purees, but we'll follow her lead. She seems to like food more than he did as a baby, so we might be able to try more since she's more interested.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #13
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

6 mos or a little older no cereal started with mashed bananas, avocado, sweet potato, really ripe pears applesauce etc and now at 8 mos she can gum almost everything and her first tooth is on its way in. she eats a lot off our ate too. she loves blueberries cut in half broccoli peas loves any fruits or veggies
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

We always do organic esp produce unless its something like mango or something not easy to find organic in the stores we shop at. also she eats non organic out to eat and we arent weird about it. I just buy organic if I have a choice e between the two.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

We did baby led weaning, which was great. Her first food was mango at 6 months, and the look on her face was absolutely priceless. For 6 months she'd been stuffing things in her mouth and now they had taste! and texture! and fragrance!

After that, she ate squashes, avocados, pasta, rice, potatoes, steamed veg, cheese - basically, we'd make our own meal without salt, and then give her a portion. I'm vegetarian, so she didn't get much meat, and she was eating eggs by about 10 months old (no history of egg allergy on either side of the family). Apparently you should wait to start them on veg from the nightshade family - tomatoes, eggplant - until after they've assimilated other foods. We didn't bother.

I confess we did BLW mainly out of laziness. I did do a course in baby first aid though, just in case of choking.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #16
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

8 mo, or a bit after. I give him anything, he loves cheese, pita chips, bananas, apples....whatever his 2 yr old brother is eating. Oh and also the pasta plus noodles, stuff like that. We don't ever do purees, rice cereal, etc. And I only cook things that would normally be cooked.

Not sure what you mean by going completely to solids bc I typically breastfeed for 2 yrs or more, depending on if I get pregnant. Once a baby has one bite of solid food, a bottle of anything other than breastmilk, etc, they are no longer considered ebf.