Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
bananaclip
Registered Users
seller

perineal massage, yes or no?

What have your experiences been with perineal massage? I am giving it a go now because I really do not want to tear or be cut and stitched.

I am doing it for 8 minutes every night, on a timer because I hate it, I have carpel tunnel and it KILLS my thumbs. I should have 6 weeks of massage under my belt by due date.

Advertisement

bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
**rachel**
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: perineal massage, yes or no?

Um i say yes! It helped me so much, i did not tear with any of my 3 kids. I just had hubby do the massages for me.
**rachel** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
I recently read about a study that said it didn't work as well as was previously thought. Google midwifery and perineal massage.

My experience DD 1 - did it a bunch, usually in the shower. 6 lb baby, 2.5 hrs pushing w epi, no tearing or ripping.

DD2 - new doc. Asked him at 36w if I should start doing it. He's been an on for 30+ years. He said he thought it didn't work. He said he thought it was more about the elasticity of the skin. Didn't do any massage, because let's face, you feel like an idiot doing it. 7.5 lb baby, pushed the baby out in 6 contractions, w epi, baby's hand was by her face, no ripping no tearing.

I think that self directed pushing with contrax works so that the tissue has time to adjust is the best.

Last edited by AniMommy; 03-07-2013 at 05:03 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I'm not convinced it can work. FTR I never did it and didn't tear with any of them with the exception of one tiny, one stitch tear on the inside from a nuchal hand with my first.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

With DS, the midwife did inbetween contractions. I didn't tear.(I actually requested an episiotomy in my birth plan! Ha ha but was already crowning, so I couldn't get one! Thank Goodness!) DD, the OB literally barely had time to put on gloves to catch. (I didn't push... my body did it all) I didn't tear.
I never heard of doing it before. I thought it was something done during the birth?

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't do it and ended up with a second degree tear from my 6 lb 13 oz. DD. I had a waterbirth with self directed pushing just FYI. I think I'll give it a try with my next baby and see if it makes a difference. I had heard that perineal massage caused micro tears which is why I decided against doing it. I do believe that tearing has a lot to do with skin elasticity, coincidentally i ended up with tons of stretch marks too.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did it with DS and didn't tear but my skin is elastic. I haven't done it with this pregnancy- I asked my MW and she said it wasn't necessary since we've got one vag birth under our belt. She does use EVOO and massages when crowning.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's probably more important to do it while giving birth. If you think about it, the thing is designed to stretch and shrink, so any work you are doing on it now is naturally counteracted. I tore with my first badly, but I couldn't feel what I was doing and my doctor was an ***. I didn't tear at all with my second, I could feel the pushing, and my doctor was awesome at the massage and guiding my pushes so I didn't tear.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

I didn't do it with any of my births. DD#1, I tore (got stitches) but I had an epi. DD#2, skid marks, no stitches. DD#3, no tearing or skid marks. With DD#2 my midwives did use EVOO while crowning to help stretch, DD#3 she was out in 2 pushes and I was standing up/leaning over the hospital bed so nobody was doing any help with stretching but DD#3.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
momto2princesses
Registered Users

I did with dd2...she was 8 lbs 6 Ozs with a nuchal hand, and I didn't tear. Definitely doing it with this one.