Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

What allergy medicine do you use?

DD and DS both seem to have seasonal allergies that are starting to flare up. I've given them benadryl and it seems to help, so I was going to try one of the "non-drowsy" allergy meds to see if they would work.

So if you've used claritin, allegra, and/or zyrtec. Which one worked best for your kiddos? DH has pretty bad allergies and none of these have seemed to give him relief, so I'm worried they won't work for the kids either. I also hate to have to buy all of them to try, so I figured I'd start with the one that most people recommend.

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #2
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What allergy medicine do you use?

Benedryl is a quick fix and meant to bring down hives, etc. immediately. Claritin and other meds like it are meant to be taken on a daily basis and are slow released, meaning that they work for 24 hours, unlike Benedryl (which works only 4 hours, I think). For seasonal allergies, we use liquid Claritin for my DS. If he has a bad reaction to food or even pollen, I will give him Benedryl until the hives disappear.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD and I both use Singulair and Flonase (as needed)- both prescription. You might want to have your dh ask about singulair. I tried everything and most only managed to keep from getting a sinus infection, but didn't do anything for most symptoms. Before Singulair I was on 3 prescription meds year round just to keep from getting sinus infections- still had bad symptoms (I am allergic to pretty much everything you can breathe in, plus highly sensitive to most chemical smells and perfumes). I take singulair year round with claratin added during high pollen times and occasional flonase. But it is one of those things where there is no middle ground. It either works like a miracle drug or it doesn't work at all. For me its a miracle. It is quite expensive though, there is a generic but its still pretty expensive if take year round. Some ins companies will make you prove you have taken several other drugs first before they will pay for it for allergies (it was created as an asthma drug, but was approved about 7 years ago or so for allergies).

As for the OTC- I have heard Zyrtec works well. I have never tried it without singulair. Allergra did absolutely nothing for me so I never tried it with dd. And claratin works so-so for me, but causes irritability so I have never given it to dd for that reason. Singulair can cause irritability in kids too, but we haven't had an issue with it. You might be able to get away with a nasal spray. Sometimes that works well. I have never tried OTC sprays, but dd can get by most of the time on just an occasional spray of flonase. It helps in a pinch for me too, but won't work (for me) long term without another med.

Unfortunately you may have to buy all of them to try. Every person is different and for some reason allergy meds are not one stop shops like a lot of medications. One could work great for one person and not at all for another. Since I have heard a lot of good things about it though if I were going to start dd on OTC allergy meds I would start with Zyrtec. But we are quite happy with our scripts.

Benadryl is reserved for hives in our house too. Its not really meant to be used as a maintenance med, but rather for acute symptoms or short term use.

Last edited by jbug_4; 03-07-2013 at 08:08 AM.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Zyrtec at bedtime. We've also done Claritin, but Zyrtec works better.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
7mom7
Registered Users

Benedryl for allergic reaction, both of my kids have food allergies. Zyrtec for seasonal outdoor allergies. NatraBio whenever needed and for sinus congestion.

http://www.natrabio.com/allergy/alle...nus-unflv.html
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Tharen takes Claritin because it is available in ODT without being a child's med with flavors and dyes. Kearnan and I take Zyrtec. I actually prefer Allergra D but I can't take it anymore, it started causing heart palpitations after I started Topamax.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
33andunder
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Benedryl is the only thing that works for us. DD has seasonal allergies, but clears her throat in reaction to the "stuffiness". Benedryl calms her down enough so that she does not feel the need to clear her throat.

By the way, I hate this time of year. It is so frustrating