Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
Formerly: sahmto3boys
seller

My Mood:
How does Math in Focus compare with the regular Singapore Math?

Other than price, how does Math in Focus- The Singapore Approach compare to the regular Primary Mathematics Singapore books? It seems like MIF would be easier to teach and is modeled to US standards.

I'm wondering if anyone has used both and can compare them.

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How does Math in Focus compare with the regular Singapore Math?

Has anyone used Math in Focus?
Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
steph_marie9
Registered Users

I'm interested in the answers to this too. I've never taught either, but DD is using MIF (1st grade) right now at our local Catholic school. We're planning on homeschooling next year, and are tentatively planning to use Singapore Math Standards Edition. I looked up the cost, and was floored by how much more expensive MIF was, mostly because the Teacher Guides are pricey, and for the other programs, you can get a much cheaper home instructor's guide instead. I just couldn't see paying that much more, when the approach and content is so similar. That said, I'm a science/math person, so while I do want some guidance in teaching effectively, the math itself does not intimidate me at all. Maybe my answer would be different if I wasn't into math. :-)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Luvingmy4boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well after looking at some reviews and a blog it appears that you can teach MIF without the teacher's edition in those early grades and teach out of the student text which cuts the costs very comparable to Singapore Primary Mathematics. The student text does provide the examples, hands on activities, review, etc. I'm considering MIF now that I've seen this. It seems laid out so much better and more presentable to the student.

The Teacher's Manual is more for having the answers to the workbook and can be found used for much less $ than new.

Last edited by Luvingmy4boys; 03-12-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Luvingmy4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

I'm bumping this old post b/c I am very interested to see if anyone else has experience!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
MagnoliaWhisper
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is my first year of teaching singapore math, but personally I like it.

BUT, I will preface it with, this is EXACTLY how I learned math. When I was in K-3 the USA went through a phase of trying to teach metric system, and such, and this was the exact same way I personally learned math my formative years. So this is just awesome for me to teach, cause this is what I know.

For me it's easy and comes natural...I am not sure how it would be for people who weren't taught this way though. But, still it seems logical to me.
MagnoliaWhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Search for MIF threads on the other board. You'll get a lot of results. I remember your question about Singapore from other there.

I haven't used both. I looked at MIF and even though the method is similar, it looked pretty different. I didn't care for the look of it. But, that was just me.

Do remember, that it is not actually a Singapore product. Many people get that confused. It's put out by the makers of Saxon, not the publishers of Singapore Primary Math.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
hac1224
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We just started MIF this year with K, 1st, and 3rd. Honestly, I don't care for it, especially the 3rd grade. I consider myself a math geek, and the way they are teaching mental math almost confused me. I also didn't realize it was Common Core aligned until after we started it.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hac1224 View Post
We just started MIF this year with K, 1st, and 3rd. Honestly, I don't care for it, especially the 3rd grade. I consider myself a math geek, and the way they are teaching mental math almost confused me. I also didn't realize it was Common Core aligned until after we started it.
What does common core actually mean? Just making sure all kids learn things at same grade level right? I don't have any problem with aligned (aligned to anything) products bc I taught public school. All curriculum is aligned to something to keep it consistent among classrooms and schools in the district. The beauty of homeschool is that you can breeze through what your kid knows and slow down when they are stuck. You ont have to worn first grade material when your child is ready for third grade. Correct me if I'm wrong? I don't get the big deal with common core?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
Search for MIF threads on the other board. You'll get a lot of results. I remember your question about Singapore from other there.

I haven't used both. I looked at MIF and even though the method is similar, it looked pretty different. I didn't care for the look of it. But, that was just me.

Do remember, that it is not actually a Singapore product. Many people get that confused. It's put out by the makers of Saxon, not the publishers of Singapore Primary Math.
I looked over there. I found some reviews but I can't decide. Where are you guys able to flip thought the book? I want to see more than one sample lesson. I like that MIF seems really easy and straightforward to teach! I think my dd could thrive in any math program! I need something easy to teach! Elementary math shouldn't make ME want to drop kick the guide! LOL
Old 08-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hac1224 View Post
What did you use before? I already have Singapore and am debating trying MIF. I wishi could flip though it! I don't want to us it just to look at it and then have to mail it back!