Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #41
Britches~in~Stitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: HS Check In March 4-19

We haven't done any school yet. I'm so tired, and dd is always fighting/pushing her bounds. I'm trying to remember that I want to hs for good reasons. Right now I feel like a break would very welcome. I don't want to fight over oatmeal, and math, and reading, and.... Dd says she wants to hs, but I wonder if she doesn't miss ps more than she's letting on.

Advertisement

Britches~in~Stitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #42
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysweetseven View Post
Kristin,
I can completely relate to what you are thinking. When we started to HS the kids after DD's 3rd grade year, in part a large reason was the drama in her particular class. The following year we started to HS the kids then 6th, 4th and 1st. DS went back to PS after 1 year, he switched schools and he LOVES it now. He hadn't been particularly happy with his class either. DD has met alot of girls at my sons new school and wants to go back next year as well, she will be in 7th grade. DH thinks she should go too. She is doing great at home and I worry about how things can change when she will go back. So far DS that is currently in 3rd grade has no want to go to PS, but I wonder if that will change. ??? It's such a difficult decision, and all we want is to do what is best for our kids. HUGS.
Thanks. I'm glad to know that others struggle with this. It seems that often, families feel drawn to hsing and they never have to decide which path is the best for them. I would like nothing more than to hs all of them, but I'm not sure that's the best for DD1.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #43
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

So glad I'm not alone! We're moving back home in a month and ds1 says he's wants to go back to public school since his friends are there. Im not sure what to do.

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #44
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacandy View Post
I'm losing My patience today and second guessing why I even chose to homeschool. I also am wondering if I am teaching him enough. I felt like he was learning a lot more in school.
I struggle with having patience too.

AFM: We had a field trip this morning with our HS group so we're probably not going to do much school today, if any. I think we are all tired from having to get up early and get out the door. I have no idea how PS families get up and ready so early each day. It's stressful!
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #45
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mom7 View Post
Lyn1270 how do y'all do CC over the summer? Just review?
yep...just review. In July, I will prob start going into Cycle 2 a little to prepare them for the next year. I cheat a lil' and give them an intro to the material before the year starts. my DS2 can get a little anxious if he's not prepared, so that's what we do. plus, i usually tutor, so i have to know the material and I use my kids to practice on LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacandy View Post
I'm losing My patience today and second guessing why I even chose to homeschool. I also am wondering if I am teaching him enough. I felt like he was learning a lot more in school.
patience is a daily struggle....daily
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #46
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we have decided to change CC communities. I feel REALLY good about it. The one we will be attending next yr is 10 minutes from home (as opposed to 30), is on Mondays (instead of Thursday), and it starts at 9:30am (instead of 9). plus, the church is donating the space, so we will be able to save $120/yr on facility fees! woot!

as for today....it was CC day so that's all we did. DS1 didn't go as he was up all night vomiting O.o i think it's gonna be an early night for this tired mama, esp since DS1 didn't stop vomiting til 4am and I had to get up at 7am to be ready for CC on time. oi....it's been a long day.

Last edited by lyn1270; 03-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #47
R055ANA
Registered Users

Lyn, I hope you did make it to bed early and that your DS is feeling better. I am very happy for you about finding a better CC community. It seems like everything is a plus w/ the new location. Congrats!

7mom7, I totally feel the same way about wondering how brick and mortar school parents do it. When I schooling parent says to me I don't know how you do it, I respond w/ the same comment. I don't know how they do it, getting the kids lunches, uniforms, homework all set and getting them up and out of the house on time on a daily basis. We do camp in the summer for a few wks and we are so tired by the end of the 2 wks. We couldn't do it Sept thru June.

Things over here are fine. I went to the library for the second time this wk. I had to go to this branch to pick up some holds. My older 2 girls have been working on a jigsaw puzzle they got. My 8 yr old finished listening to the audio book of the Cricket in Times Square. She loved the story. They also worked on letters that they had to send to friends. Tomorrow the older 3 girls are going on a trip to the SPCA. They will be getting a tour and then doing an animal craft. My youngest is too young to go by 6 months so we will hang out in the area doing something else. My oldest DD has been trying to write more in her notebooks because she has SO many that are blank. She writes a page or more about what we did/are doing each day. Not sure if she wrote a page for today. She tends to love to write more on the days we go out, says she can't think of stuff to say when we just stay home.

Sorry to all of you who are struggling w/ decision to HS or have your DC return to brick and mortar school. As parents we are always second guessing ourselves wondering what we should do. It is has to be harder when our children are saying they would prefer to go back to school. Hugs to all of you struggling.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #48
7mom7
Registered Users

Lyn1270, another CC question for you. Do you use the timeline cards with your own kids or just when teaching the class? I'm thinking about purchasing them but I'd mainly want them to correspond with the history sentence we are memorizing. Right now memorizing the timeline isn't a huge focus of mine so I wouldn't really use them with regards to the song.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #49
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I chaperoned DS's prek field trip today. Is it terrible to say that I miss being in a classroom? There are obvious things I don't miss--obnoxious parents who think their children are perfect or those that have unrealistic expectations of their children or the teacher, IEP meetings, mundane paperwork documenting every time anyone sneezes, etc. But, I DO miss the kids. I miss listening to "kid conversations" and helping kids achieve more than they thought they could. I miss managing the choas and getting things accomplished in spite it, the commraderie of other adults who are sharing the same experiences.

I love homeschooling, so I don't want to give that up, but at the same time, I'm tired of being tied to my house (I actually spent the last several days praying that someone didn't die before this afternoon, so the person watching the dc kids didn't cancel for this morning-how pathetic is that?) I think I'm just having a small pity party at the moment.

Oh, and when parking this morning, I hit the prek teacher's car. I've never hit anything before (except deer and they jumped in front of me)! She took it really well-hope that doesn't end up costing too much.

I think I might need to take up drinking!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #50
7mom7
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
I think I might need to take up drinking!
I feel this way every Friday for some reason!