Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #31
**rachel**
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: *March Gardening Thread*

i love this thread! we have a lot of yard space out here, im going to read all your post because i actually want to have a successful garden this year. lol. we have tons of wild rabbits out here. do you even recommend planting a garden??

Advertisement

**rachel** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #32
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd totally still garden with wild bunnies Check out Square Foot Gardening, thats what I'm doing, it has a ton of solutions for "pest" control
Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
Strawberries are pretty hardy.. is it still in it's original pot you bought it in or did you replant it? If you cover the "crown" it will die. Mine haven't wilted during 100 degree heat or snow. They tolerate most things well, except over watering or being planted too deep.

ETA: wait a sec, you just bought that plant! Take that sucker back to the store for a replacement! LOL
I replanted it in a recycled milk jug. It was in one of those biodegradeable pots. I will check and see, maybe I did bury the crown. I tried to keep the new soil level but you never know.

Heather- Wife to 1, Mom to 5!
80lbs lost & counting!
Sent using DS Forum
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #34
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by **rachel** View Post
i love this thread! we have a lot of yard space out here, im going to read all your post because i actually want to have a successful garden this year. lol. we have tons of wild rabbits out here. do you even recommend planting a garden??
oh yeah, for sure! You're just going to have to find a way to fence it in or grow it high enough up off the ground that they can't reach it. How big a garden and what kinds of things were you thinking of? If you want just a few types you could put them in those 12 inch pots and set them on top of a picnic or patio table.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #35
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrossTheUniverse View Post
I replanted it in a recycled milk jug. It was in one of those biodegradeable pots. I will check and see, maybe I did bury the crown. I tried to keep the new soil level but you never know.

Heather- Wife to 1, Mom to 5!
80lbs lost & counting!
Sent using DS Forum
I think either way I'd take it back. It shouldn't be having trouble after just 3 days from the crown being buried and if you repotted it The day you bought it, it should be over the transfer shock by now.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:50 PM   #36
Kala
Registered Users

Hey everyone!! My name is Kala. We (DH, my 10 month old son and myself) live in SE Ohio on about 14 acres. Enjoying reading everyones posts!

I started some broccoli, onions, lettuce, spinach and oregano today. Woo hoo! Really hoping to get the greenhouse up this weekend. I NEED to get outside. I'm probably jumping the gun a little on some of our seeds but I wanna experiment with the greenhouse a bit and figure out how much of a growing extension it'll give us in the spring and fall. It's our first year having it and I am soooo excited!
Kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #37
missc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctj101502
Gonna revamp our chicken ideas, move them to garden, then do new area for garden. We have a back acre that would be perfect for garden, but we are to far for hose to reach. We have a pond near it, how and what could we buy/build to have water pumped to garden. Cheapest and easiest ideas?
We have used 12V water pumps in the past transfer water. The best one we had came from Northern Tool, I believe it was $90ish. We started with cheapo pumps ($30-40) from harbor freight, but they only did well in warmer weather and when they didn't have to push up hill. It's a decent option to push water, just make sure the "pull" is short, but the pump should push water at least 1 hose length (as long as its level ground) with good pressure. We ran our pump off of a deep cell battery (charged by solar panels) or our truck battery. Let me know if you want more specifics, I can find them.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #38
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missc View Post
We have used 12V water pumps in the past transfer water. The best one we had came from Northern Tool, I believe it was $90ish. We started with cheapo pumps ($30-40) from harbor freight, but they only did well in warmer weather and when they didn't have to push up hill. It's a decent option to push water, just make sure the "pull" is short, but the pump should push water at least 1 hose length (as long as its level ground) with good pressure. We ran our pump off of a deep cell battery (charged by solar panels) or our truck battery. Let me know if you want more specifics, I can find them.
Any Links where I can buy? What about gas operated? Would love solar panel though. The only up hill would be from over the bank of the pond, I would want 2 lengths of how, found a pinetrest idea that was pvc pipes shaped rectangle and holes thorough it as a large sprinkler, wanting to do something like that
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #39
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Found two more houses I really liked. It became a toss up between yard with grass and so-so kitchen, or awesome large kitchen with tons of counters nd cupboards but zero grass and tiled yard. I use the kitcn every ingle day, so no garden yard won. Sigh. Back to container gardening. There is one little corner that isn't tiled, where a couple lemon trees and small palm tree things are growing. I might be able to grow 1 or 2 vines of something, or maybe carrots and broccoli during winter, but not sure if it will work with the tree roots. I did not like container gardening too much last year, so I will definitely need to scale back my plans. But I'll still be saving DH build a bunch of hanging things for lettuces and herbs
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #40
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I bought three blueberry bushes this week, and I think I'm going back for one more! I got two highbush "misty" and a O'neal for cross pollination. Had a hard time locating different varieties, most places had only misty. The O'neal is already covered with fruit.

Super cold and windy today, no gardening going on for me. Rain all night turned to snow flurries in the early morning. Clear right now but we're supposed to get more snow tonight. UGH. Hope it doesn't damage my berry plants.