Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
cuddlebunny_24
Registered Users

Re: Is this normal

Wow, you definitely will not have to worry about a supply issue at this point. If you are planning to go back to work (or start working, not sure if you are a stay at home mom or not) you will definitely have a stock pile to use. I pumped like once or twice at 3-4 week pp but with my job I had when my son was born I was the teacher in his day care classroom so I did not have to worry about bringing pumped milk for him, I could just feed him when he was hungry. And thankfully I will be able to this time around as well! So there was really not much of a need for me to pump. That is great that you are able to pump and still nurse your baby as well without having to worry about having over pumped and him still being a bit hungry when the nursing session is over. And it sounds like you just might need a bigger freezer. lol

Advertisement

cuddlebunny_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
AveenoBabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

I am a stay at home mom. I plan on stocking up for about 6 months and then just nurse my son (if I can stock up that much before he is 6 months old). But that way he is still getting breast-milk but I do not have to carry these heavy boobs around. Right now my boobs are heavy enough I have really bad back pain all the time and nothing seems to help. I am normally a 38 G and now i need to remeasured to find more nursing bras.
AveenoBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Honestly I would cut back on pumping until you are doing it max once per day. It's awesome to have a freezer stash but it sounds like you have tricked your body into producing for quads or triplets. I can't imagine that you will be comfortable long term not to mention when your baby starts sleeping longer stretches you won't be able to enjoy it because you'll feel like you are exploding at two hours plus your child won't be able to adequately empty you (a typical breastfed baby usually won't drink more than 4 oz. at a time) so your dependant on the pump as well. Not to mention being set up for mastitis.

I had to EP for my DD and had an oversupply which was fine when I was pumping exclusively but when I switched back to BFing her I was uncomfortable and had a hard time getting away from the pump. I also ended up with mastitis. also I was tired because my baby was sleeping 6 hour stretches but I got so uncomfortable at 4 hours I'd have to pump. So a LC encouraged me to stop pumping she said my body would adjust to my baby's demand. She said I'd be uncomfortable but to just tough it out and my breasts would adjust. It took a week but I can sleep the same stretch as my DD and my breasts are not rock hard boulders when I wake up. In your case since your supply is so huge it might take you a month to get it down by gradually decreasing.

I hope I haven't offended you but that's what I would do in your situation.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
AveenoBabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have cut back I do not pump at all at night and I do not nurse at night. We use a bag of milk each time. The last pump of the day is at 153am and then my next pump is at about 830am I also only pump about 6 times a day and breastfeed my son whenever he is hungry.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

It was just a suggestion, you mentioned your breasts are uncomfortable and pumping 6 times a day on top of breastfeeding on demand is a whole heck of a lot of pumping. Most people who EBF don't pump at all or very rarely unless they work. For example I pumped 10-11 times a day for my DD without any breastfeeding and I ended up with an oversupply. You are pumping almost that much plus feeding on demand. So it was just my opinion that you might cut back but if you are happy with your routine then stick with it.

Eta: perhaps I am also projecting my experiences on you because I hated to pump and had issues with transitioning away from it. If you like your routine and dont mind the pump then that is all that matters. A lot of women have supply issues so you are blessed to be able to provide so much milk.

Last edited by evasimone; 03-09-2013 at 11:54 AM.
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1healthylady
I'm a bit jealous. From someone who didn't take advantage of the oversupply in the beginning. I'm down to 7oz frozen at 6 months. Keep it up!! But like PP said, lay your bags flat to save space. I saw someone else on here recommend using a gift bag in the freezer and it has worked for me. just cut a slit out of the bottom so that as you stack your new bags in the top to freeze you can easily pull the oldest bags from the bottom.
Agree with this! I think I saw this gift bag idea on you tube! It worked great! I was a bit oversupply in the beginning and I pumped one side and fed baby on the other but it all even out by 3 rd month now I pump only in the morning and have 6-8 oz to freeze. As long as baby is happy and gaining weight. U should be ok.

I took over my whole freezer with stored breastmilk lol. Over 200 bags for me maybe... Lost count

Last edited by kittenbaby77; 03-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
kittenbaby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
AveenoBabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

The way the pumping started was the first day he latched on and all then the 2nd day he refused to eat at all so we were pumping to keep my milk.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #18
abbazabba
Registered Users

Your body will produce as much as you tell it to. My best friend BF her triplets for the first year with no problems. As long as you want to continue pumping that much that's great. Also milk doesn't last forever so make sure the stash is getting rotated regularly so it's not getting too old. Good work!
abbazabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
AveenoBabies
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is an update. This is part of what I have at 6 weeks postpartum I have another freezer the same size as this one with a shelf and a half taken up with more milk. How much do you think I need to feed a baby for 5 or 6 months? In the photo I have 145 bags and all are 3-5 ounces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	562931_613733208652379_2071558503_n.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	138769  
Old 03-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #20
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Once your milk supply levels out to just what your son eats your boobs will feel so much better! I know from personal experience. The only time my boobs get hard and heavy is if I miss a feeding.
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote