Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
sundayrose
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How to help a child poop on the toilet?

My daughter is 3 and wont poop in the potty either. I have a hard enough time to get her pee though so not sure it's just a poop problem. My sisters daughter had to be put on Miralax because she refused to poop on the potty and became ashamed if she got messy. This combo caused some serious constipation issues. I like the idea about cutting a slit in her panties, so they are still on....at least initially to get her used to it. It's a worth a try..I may try that too!

Advertisement

sundayrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
ljustice1968
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter would go hide in the closet and refused to poop in the potty long after she tinkled in it regularly. I finally bribed her with ice cream, then there was no going back for her. But I think it just happened because she was ready. Also I gave her a favorite book and some privacy to just sit there. I agree with the mamas that say to watch for cues or use their regular timing (after nap, after eating), then say, 'it's time to go sit on the potty' and just go try. She'll get it eventually. Important not to get too stressed about it or she'll pick up on that. Good luck, Mama!
ljustice1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I always miss DD's poop signals because she almost always poops when she wakes up, either from napping or in the morning. I think that she is most relaxed then, and she isn't consciously holding it in. I think during the day, she just doesn't want to poop in her undies (or the toilet) so badly that she won't relax enough to let it out. She will talk about it until she is blue in the face, but will.not.allow herself to poop. I think this may just be a "time cures all" issue.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #14
mommaroo2Lou
Registered Users
seller

Have you tried putting the little trainer potty in her room while she naps so she could maybe get on it herself when she wakes up? You mentioned she didn't like it being in her bed, which could be motivation for her to choose another spot when she wakes up and feels the urge. In my experience which, which is limited to two toddlers who both trained shortly after turning 2, once they get a couple poops in the toilet and not against their skin they realize they prefer it and don't go back. You just have to make it happen a few times. With my daughter I used the baby monitor again and ran in as soon as I heard her awaken to catch it.
mommaroo2Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

we cheered and retards and constantly tips ours thatno one extra top be around someone smelling like poop....
Old 03-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #16
joyfullyliving
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressagemom
My DD is almost 3, and has been peeing in the toilet for almost 2 months. She WILL NOT poop in the toilet, though, which is very frustrating. She recognizes when she needs to poop, but she will not let it come out unless she is wearing underwear. I've never had this issue with any of my older children, and I'm sort of at my wit's end with it. She has never liked pooping, and has always held in her poop until the very last second possible. She is not constipated, she just doesn't like to poop. Any thoughts?
Sounds very familiar. We had the same problem with our 3yr old. I read the online book Oh Crap Potty Training that someone on DS suggested to me. My DD is tiny. If I thought she needed to go I'd put her on the potty chair with a big book under her feet and a book to read. Then I'd make an excuse to leave. It worked! Now she runs to the bathroom by herself and calls me when she's done. She gets stage fright most of the time when we are away from home, but she has gone other places. And I'm sure she will grow more comfortable as she gets older.
SAHM to S 10/09 and A 8/11 and expecting #3 1/14 and wife to my

Blessed. Thankful.
joyfullyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #17
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I wanted to post a quick update. Dd has, in the last few weeks, pooped in the toilet 3 times. She is still very hit-and-miss, but she is making progress. Most importantly, she is *trying*, which she was not doing before. She is distressed when it goes in her underwear, and cannot be changed quickly enough. So yay! Forward progress!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
coquelicot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yea! Steps in the right direction! Just keep with it, it'll happen!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #19
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

I think her success was a total fluke. She has decided that she will.not.poop in the toilet. At all. End of story. I got so frustrated with her that I made her go back to diapers. She wasn't happy, but I told her tough luck, pal. I'm tired of cleaning poop out of underwear. When she is ready to be a big girl instead of a baby, she can have her underwear back. I think when she decides she wants to poop in the toilet, she will not have any more accidents. She will just do it cold turkey. (FWIW, my mom said I was the same way wrt to many things, including potty training, thumb-sucking, pickiness about food, nail-biting, etc. Apparently, she gets this from me.)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #20
Solcatia
Registered Users

I need to try the nakkies during the weekend and see what happens. :-D It's time!
Solcatia is offline   Reply With Quote