Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies

I saw those are barnes and noble the other day, I thought they looks super cool! Do the kids play with them often? are they sturdy??
We have some and our kids play with them daily. They are very sturdy. I bought a 100-piece set, and they got used so much that we've since bought a 36 and 42 piece set too. They are expensive, but if there was one toy in our house that I would save in a fire, it would be these. We also have Magformers and those are equally fabulous although we use them for building different things than what we build with the Magnatiles.

Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Out kids mostly play with the Magnatiles/Magformers, wooden blocks, play kitchen/play food, play"silks" (ours are not silk since we are a vegan family, but same idea), small wooden train set, Hot Wheels, balls, Schleich animals, and My Little Ponies. All of those things are played with by both my son (2) and daughter (4). We have other toys too, but the vast majority of the time, the kids are playing with something from the list above.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toys?

My son will be 3 in July, and we have a baby. For our baby we don't have a ton, a lot of my son's toys will be shared with her anyway. We just have a basket of some baby toys for her.

Let's see, my son's toys... he mostly plays with blocks, balls, and books. We have a bin of balls underneath a small basketball hoop in our living room and they get played with a lot. We have a storage thing with 3 drawers and each drawer has a different type of block. The basic wooden blocks get the most play (he stacks them and makes up games with them).

He loves his Alphabooks, those are in a small bin and he became very interested in them from a young age. Now he pretends they are cards for the Price is Right, haha. But they are very well worn at this point and he still plays with them daily. Our baby was holding one today, too, so I can tell those will continue to get used for a long time.

We have some Schleich animals that he likes. Some toy cars & trucks (simple, nothing electronic). A lacing toy with wooden farm animals. The Melissa & Doug clock with the wooden shapes/numbers. A pounding peg thing (DS doesn't play with that anymore, though). A ring stacker (also outgrown, but sometimes he'll still play with it for a few minutes, and DD will be interested soon so I'm not putting it away). Let's see, we have a few dolls and stuffed toys. Oh! And he has a bowling set that he really likes to set up and play with. He's over the wooden puzzles so those are put away until DD is ready for them.

He has a Rody horse that is starting to get more use. We have a little trampoline inside right now, too, since it's winter and I wanted something he could get some energy out on. He jumps on it occasionally, but also likes to sit on it while he plays with things, and he recently started pretending it was a boat. That will go in the basement once it warms up and come back in next winter.

We have a few things that are put away that he doesn't have free access to, but that he can ask for (coloring books, art supplies, musical instruments, sensory bin items like rainbow rice, play dough, etc.). He can actually get to them if he wants to, but they aren't in the play area.

In his bedroom he only has a few toys (some toy dinosaurs, some musical instruments, a few stuffed animals). He also has those large cardboard blocks up there.

Gosh, this sounds like a lot! But our play area is pretty simple and organized. Oh, he also has a toaster and some play food, and DH is building him a play kitchen that I'm excited about. So that will be joining us soon, and I think he'll like it a lot because he's starting to play pretend, and then DD will be able to use it, too.

My son is really into game shows and pretending that he's on them and playing made up games, so a lot of things just get used that way. We could probably put quite a bit away and he'd still be okay, but I do like to have them available for him because sometimes he'll surprise me and want to do something else (like this morning, he played with his cars for awhile and so I was glad they were available, even though they don't get played with daily). Our baby is 7 1/2 months old, so I know it won't be long before she becomes interested in some of the toys that are available. Most of them are pretty open-ended.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Janine
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacandy
What are magnatiles? I'm also wanting to get some tegu blocks. That could motivate me to purge.
I imagine you could break them and get them out, but it would be extremely difficult and require a hammer or saw. There is no way my kids could break them.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toys?

We have a room of toys, but it's a lot of a few things, if that makes sense. We have tons of dress up, a kitchen/kitchen toys, a doll house/ dollhouse toys, and giant builder blocks. And a few misc, dolls/stuffed animals/ smaller figurines. Between the mix they kids stay pretty entertained, they'll play for hours.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

So I've started downsizing toys that are out. A lot are packed in my garage from moving and I'll get to those after we move again in 3 weeks. I ordered a set of tegu blocks for a shared Easter basket gift! Now I can just grab a few pieces of candy and Im done! I'm very interested in these magnatiles! We have birthdays in July and sept so I think those would be good gifts.

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote