Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Pooping on the toilet? Help!

DS turned 2 in January and had been taking an interest in using the potty since a few month before Christmas. 2 weeks ago I finally buckled down with him and tried the 3 day potty training method. It seemed to kinda work with him but he still had a few accidents for the following week. The next weekend I re-did the 3 day method with him and he hasn't had a pee accident in over a week. However, he doesn't want to poop on the potty. DF claims he has a few times over the week, but he never does when I'm home, always in his underwear. I've tried naked time and I always end up cleaning poop out of the carpet. I've tried bribing him, I've tried reading, singing, snacks... I just don't know what else to do. Is there a trick to getting toddlers to poop on the toilet?

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
newmom98118
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pooping on the toilet? Help!

Totally my opinion...but he sounds like he's just not ready. I have a 3.5 year old boy. At 3 he was super afraid of the potty for reasons I never understood...we never pushed him. Then one day at about 3 yrs 4 mos...he flat out told me he wanted to wear underwear. Just like that. No struggles, probably 2 accidents, no stress. I WAS AMAZED. I've heard that if you push too hard you run the risk of turning it into a power struggle. Good luck!
newmom98118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
ChihuahuaMama13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom98118 View Post
Totally my opinion...but he sounds like he's just not ready. I have a 3.5 year old boy. At 3 he was super afraid of the potty for reasons I never understood...we never pushed him. Then one day at about 3 yrs 4 mos...he flat out told me he wanted to wear underwear. Just like that. No struggles, probably 2 accidents, no stress. I WAS AMAZED. I've heard that if you push too hard you run the risk of turning it into a power struggle. Good luck!
I didn't really feel like I was pushing him. He's always asked to use the potty himself. Then all the sudden he started asking to wear underwear like daddy. He's completely refused to wear a diaper, and will go pee all by himself. He doesn't even tell anyone anymore, he just runs to the bathroom, takes off his undies, and climbs up on the toilet and goes. He'll wipe himself, flush, then bring you his underwear to help put them back on him. I honestly feel he's ready if he's doing all this on his own.

ETA: Maybe I just have to deal with poop in the underwear for now then. I just thought if he was ready to pee on the potty on his own, he would want to poop on the potty as well.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
orangekell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Same thing happened with my son...we had to wait a LONG time before he would poop in the toilet. I kept wishing that someone would make training underwear with snaps on the sides that would make changing poopy underwear much easier!!

Good luck...
orangekell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

We stopped using diapers at 18 months. DS was peeing in the potty great but, like your LO, he kept pooping in his undies. I waited a few months to see if he would "get it" on his own but he didn't. So for 3 days straight, I watched him like a hawk, sat right next to him and the instant I saw him pause and make "the poop face", I would say "poo-poo is coming!" I kept a potty right by him at all times and I would gently but swiftly put him on the potty right away. In those 3 days, 90% of the poop made it in the potty. We would dance and sing about poo-poo being in the potty and something just clicked for DS. I don't think he was afraid of pooping on the potty, per-se but I think it was just a different way than he was used to. After having several "successes" in a row, he has pooped on the potty ever since. We've had a few poo-accidents but usually because of illness or some special reason. It's rare.

I didn't scold DS and it didn't scare him to be moved while pooping but some kids, I've heard, do get upset. DS seemed to just freeze once the urge hit him and it was like he couldn't break the cycle without me physically helping him. Every once in awhile, I still catch him playing intently with a toy and I notice he is bearing down a little and I will say "Sweetie, do you need to poo-poo?" And he will say yes and go right to the potty and poop. I think it's a learning process to figure out the urges, physical feelings and timing of it all. Be patient, mama. He will get it soon.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekell View Post
Same thing happened with my son...we had to wait a LONG time before he would poop in the toilet. I kept wishing that someone would make training underwear with snaps on the sides that would make changing poopy underwear much easier!!

Good luck...
Otter puddles have snaps on the side, and they do make the clean-up so much easier! We had 2 pairs for the few months that DS was pee trained but still pooping in his pants.