Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

Re: Switching to a frugal Lifestyle

I use coupons every then and while. When i was pregnant i was all over with cuopons, I want to get back to it after i finish my 1 year supply of dry goods (beans,rice, potatoe flakes, wheat and pasta)

This sutarday we are going to the cannery to buy food. (Dh is been saving all of his tips) He ramdomly gets tips from custumers. (does not work at a restaurant) and we are buying long term food with that. I am so proud of him. I know he really wants a surrounding stereo ($500) but he knows its more important to get canned goods for his family.

Also, i just cancelled the cable. We have not watch tv in a long time either way.

Happysmileylady: I will try to barter my baking goods, lol we will see thanks for the wonderful idea, as for phone we pay $65 for two celphones, unlimited internet,texts,phonecalls, caller id and pictures. Not bad i think, we used to pay $200 with a "bigger company"

Advertisement

babyleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

I have to work harder on selling our unsed stuff, march was not a great month for me i got $10 from swangbucks (i was there for about 4 days only) and i did not post my items for sale, or did not follow up. Hopefully today i sell a dryer and washer machine that woudl be $40 dlls extra. (they r old machines but work) I am using the extra money to buy extra food storage.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
finleyjudemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdesonia View Post
You can watch some of your tv shows on Hulu free. They are a week behind but free. (Not all shows on there but if you are cutting cable that might help you to transition)

Barter and trade- Sometimes you can find someone who is more than willing to trade you for what you need.(Example: Instead of buying used clothing for your kids... trade babysitting for hand me downs.)

Sell your junk/unneeded items on Ebay/craigslist. Always list all flaws etc... but try to sell it before you donate. You can list 50 items free on Ebay a month. You still have to pay a fee if they sell and a paypal fee. Keep those in mind when you price the item(because shipping costs are included in the % of fee you pay). Read this on how to ship: http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454378

I do swagbucks. I'm a SAHM so I have the time to take surveys /watch videos throughout the day. I typically get $25 in amazon and $50 in paypal a month from swagbucks. (More if you count Dh's account). I don't sign up for any of the free trials or anything that you have to pay for. It's not a lot of $ but it could pay your internet bill with extra leftover!

I sew. I fully admit it is a hobby and not to save $. It can save you $ if upcycle & buy only clearance fabric. I made my DD 3 dresses, 3 capris, 2 shirts, a pair of pants & a skirt out of a queen size thrift store sheet for less than a $1. (Not counting the cost of lace, elastic, thread, ribbon but I already had those things) If you already know people who sew ... like great aunts or whatever, ask them for their extras. You'll be surprised how much they are willing to give you. I swear everyone that sews has a secret hoarding tendency. We fall in love with a fabric we can't use and hold on to it for years. Years ago I asked everyone I knew if I could borrow a machine. Someone gave me an old machine for free. I used it till I bought a new one. I gave it away to someone else that was hand sewing baby blankets. You'll be surprised what ASKING gets you. (especially if people know someday you'll help them out!) I have a ton of pattens but find I use free ones of the internet more.
Please tell me about Hulu Free
Old 04-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by finleyjudemommy View Post
Please tell me about Hulu Free
Its easy... You go to hulu.com. There are tv shows & movies that you watch for free on your computer.

We don't use the tv for anything except videos. We still have a vcr & a dvd player. VHS movies are often super cheap... sometimes free at yard sales.

You can also get movies free at the library.

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

I been working on my meal planning, i spent $40 today on fresh produce and some ready to bake chicken pot, ect ect (i know,i know, chicken pot made from scratch would be better but its was only $2 dlls and it would feed dh,dd and i and i save the hasle to cook). I been starting to ask an employee at fresh and easy if they have any cupons, i got $10 off from $50 and everytime i go its get some discount, not to mention i only buy multiples of sale/clearance things in there.

We are doing good with out budget, dh had some sale and we are using that money to cover unexpected expenses and blow out money, some for food storage, some for saving. Depending on how we think at the moment that would be the best.

Dh just had a meeting at work, we were thinking we were going to pay even more for insurance, BUT we got a better plan, We are paying about the same monthly, with a $5 off from our last copay co-pay rate but a higher deductable, which is ok since we go to the dr often but not to the hospital :/ we try to get all of our physicals done and treat everything right away so that way it doesnt get worst and it gets expensive.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
ittybittycoconuts
Registered Users
seller

If your air drying clothes there's no need to put them in the dryer. The initial heating of the dryer is what uses the most energy so if your heating it up you might as well go ahead and use it! If your line dried clothes are crunchy try 2 things. 1. use less soap your probably using too much. Occasionally I wash my towels with just vinegar. You'll be amazed how much sudsy stuff comes out. 2. If there's humidity in your air or morning dew leave clothes outside overnight. The combo of light wind and dew really softens clothes. If your in a really dry climate hang them in the bathroom once dry and shake them out well before you put them away. This is my second year without a dryer it's totally doable you just have to plan ahead a little more
ittybittycoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybittycoconuts View Post
If your air drying clothes there's no need to put them in the dryer. The initial heating of the dryer is what uses the most energy so if your heating it up you might as well go ahead and use it! If your line dried clothes are crunchy try 2 things. 1. use less soap your probably using too much. Occasionally I wash my towels with just vinegar. You'll be amazed how much sudsy stuff comes out. 2. If there's humidity in your air or morning dew leave clothes outside overnight. The combo of light wind and dew really softens clothes. If your in a really dry climate hang them in the bathroom once dry and shake them out well before you put them away. This is my second year without a dryer it's totally doable you just have to plan ahead a little more
Thanks mama! I put in the dryer mostly towels. I use lil soap but this time i will do vineger n hopefully that way they feel soft. We have hard water+very hot weather.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyleon View Post

Thanks mama! I put in the dryer mostly towels. I use lil soap but this time i will do vineger n hopefully that way they feel soft. We have hard water+very hot weather.
Wait? What about organic prefolds? May i do use too much laundry soap
Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #19
AngelBee
Registered Users

K...I just signed up for swagbucks and spent 45 minutes TRYING to do surveys. I was denied from every single one.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
K...I just signed up for swagbucks and spent 45 minutes TRYING to do surveys. I was denied from every single one.
AngelBEE: The more you update your profile, (add info about you, you answer simple questions and it woost a few swanbucks) the more swagbucks will send you email w survey you will mostly like to be qualified, i have done 3-5 surveys so far. But, as right now it is not worth my time, since i have many things to sell, and i sick baby, so i do not have much time free. However, we use our computer often and istead of using google i use swangbucks and so doees dh. that makes up $5 dlls a week as right now (not trying much but only searching from there) not bad since i got them as amazon gift cards and i will buy someonething we need (a floor fan or something like that) Google does not give me anything so i am happy with my $5 dlls weekly, I will be sharing my budget that we have for you mamas to help me out