Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
PSA: DH shaving oil replacement!

DH shaves his head so we spend a pretty penny on it :-)
At Christmas his boss gave all the guys little shave kits from The Art of Shaving (that really $$$ place in $$$ malls) with pre shave oil, shave cream, after shave lotion, etc. well of course DH really liked this pre shave oil and asked me to get more for him.
So I looked at the ingredients - thinking I could find a drugstore version - castor oil, olive oil, and lavendar eo.
Ummm, we have all that. Actually I use a castor oil-almond oil combo on my face (ocm) so I told DH to tey that. Well he likes it more than the original!
I put tto and lime eo in the next batch to minimize the lavendar old lady smell :-). Just thought I would share!

Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: PSA: DH shaving oil replacement!

What is pre shave oil purpose? My dh shaved also and yes we buy razors and barbasol to often and always looking for a more cost effective solution, he just doesn't like anything else
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not sure of the "scientific" reasoning. We put the oil on and let it sit for a few mins. Then DH follows with shaving cream, but I am a strictly-water kinda gal. Sometimes I will shave with some body wash if I think of it. It seems to soften the hair a bit, and protect the skin.
DH's shaving is much more noticeable, and there is a visible difference without little nicks here and there, and it seems like he gets a much closer shave. I can actually feel the difference.
My shaved areas are not generally in-your-face lol, but I think I get a closer shave, and my skin feels soooo good after, of course. It's not really replacing the shaving cream for DH, though - the thought of buying that stuff retail, over and over and over, almost caused me to break out in hives.
Maybe a cute DIY gift for the men - to match the ladies' bath bombs and bath salts, lol.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

I have used coconut oil to shave with before, but it gets the razor a bit gummy. I have castor oil and olive oil (and sesame and safflower, too!), so maybe I'll try doing a mix of them instead.

DH uses an electric razor. Usually as he's driving down the road on his way to work. He has to have regular razors and shaving cream for deployments, but he has yet to actually use them.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Oo...this sounds divine. do you just do half castor oil and half olive oil? or what ratios would you recommend?
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I have been doing 1/3 castor oil and 2/3 almond oil, just bc that is what I had been using on my face and it's soooo convenient for us to be using one mixture for everything. The $$ oil was olive oil, idk what ratio, but the almond oil is a bit lighter.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds great. Just to warn you though, I included lime oil in my OCM mixture once, and it seemed like a great idea at first until it chapped my face and turned it red a week in. Not so gentle on the skin!

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH shaves his head, and he just uses soap and water...and we have super hard water. It seems to do the job just fine.