Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #31
lovewool
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: unmedicated Birth and water breaking?

My water broke during a pretty intense contraction with my first. I'd say I was about 2/3 done with my 18 hour labor. I was hypnobirthing and pretty quiet during my labor, but when water broke I yelled "It's coming out!!!" and everyone thought I meant the baby. I can't remember if it intensified my contractions after that but that labor whole labor was intense from the minute I woke up and realized I was having contractions! Was feeling contractions in front, back and down my thighs, and was vomiting due to the pain.

With my second, I went into labor for a couple hours with contractions about 10 minutes apart and then it stalled for a few hours when I got stressed about my toddler's behavior. I went to sleep and about a half hour later startled awake with a huge whammy of a contraction. When I got out of bed I realized water had just broken. It was an extremely intense labor but I think part of it was because my son had his hand up at his head and he was big.... and at some point it also turned to back labor although it didn't start out that way. I had my son a little less than 7 hours after water broke.

So I'm not sure if my water breaking intensified my labor. I just know they both really hurt! LOL Personally I am a no intervention if at all possible type person so I would have declined having my water broken had my midwife suggested it.

Advertisement

Last edited by lovewool; 03-13-2013 at 10:53 PM.
lovewool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #32
LaurenAppenzeller
Registered Users
seller

I had 2 unmedicated births and both times my water had to be broken. the first time I was convinced I didnt want that so I said no for hrs until I was dilated 9cms for ever and in tons of pain having very strong contractions and after it broke I dilated to 10 and was ready to push. huge relief! the second baby my water was leaking a little bit at home and I stayed home for another 16 hrs against the hospitals direction bc they said that if I came in they would induce, which I really didnt want, after 12 hrs of it being ruptured. I read something online by a midwife that said that the risk of infection was actually low as long as you werent being checked a bunch like in the hospital so I stayed home until I knew I couldnt stay home any longer and they broke my water right before I pushed. I was at the hospital a total of about an hour before my daughter was born. in my opinion of you are very far progressed and its holding you up its a relief but I would never let them break my water until I knew that I was really ready.
knew baby was coming like right then.
LaurenAppenzeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #33
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ds2 broke before labor and dd broke about an hour before transition. Both on their own
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #34
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

With my second I was complete and my midwives broke it, DD was born about 15 minutes later.

With my third it broke on its own, I pushed to relieve pressure and two pushes later DD#3 was out.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #35
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Tell 'Em
With my second I was complete and my midwives broke it, DD was born about 15 minutes later.

With my third it broke on its own, I pushed to relieve pressure and two pushes later DD#3 was out.
Eta:

With my second they had me start pushing right away and contractions then weren't painful at all.

With my third since I only had the two, since I was pushing anyhow the contrax part was nothing since all I felt was the pressure from her head then her body.

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #36
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
With my first my OB broke my water when I was 4-5cm. That was at 7 in the morning and the pain got very intense until he was born at 11:38.

With my second my contractions were much less intense until I hit transition. I went from 8-10 in two contractions. The on came in the room at 8:19, broke my water and ds2 was born at 8:26. Pain got worse after my water broke.

If I get another chance I will labor as long as possible with my bags intact.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
paper_girl_76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

#1 water broke on its own at 3:30AM. Contractions started at 6. Very intense and baby born at 7:20 AM.

#2, 3, 4 water broke while pushing. labors each several hours.

#5 Water broke at 2 AM. Only BH prior to breaking. Real contractions began immediately and I went from maybe 2 cm to baby out at 2:45AM. Very, very intense labor!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #38
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've had 4 unmedicated births.

DS#2 - Water broke spontaneously during transition, DS born about 10 minutes later
DD#1 - Water broken in mid labor spontaneously, but not with a big gush - more of a steady leak - DD born about 8 hours later (was about 18 hours of labor)
DD#2 - Water had not broken when I started pushing - I only pushed once with her - she was basically born in the caul, but the doctor opened the sac as DD was emerging
DD#3 - Had a major pushing contraction (first pushing contraction of that labor), started pushing (involuntarily), water broke, DD out in that same push

The odd thing was with DD1, my only labor where my water broke spontaneously not at the very end of labor, was the one labor I was terrified of my water breaking, as I was having a homebirth, and just 2 months prior, I had a friend who's cord prolapsed when her water broke during her homebirth, which resulted in a very scary emergency transfer that scared the willies out of me. I was fervently hoping my water wouldn't break until the very end. Weird that it was the only time it didn't work out that way for me (so far anyway :-)).
Old 03-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #39
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

With my son, the OB broke my water just before he "let" me start pushing. With DD, it broke on the way to the hospital, about half an hour before she was born. She was already well engaged so there was no leak until I stood but I felt the pop. In both cases, I was completely or near-completely dilated and don't remember any change in intensity of contractions.
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #40
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Baby #1: I was in the tub when it broke. I was nearing the end of transition and trying to push. For me the contractions felt more like they were "doing something" and I could more clearly tell what was going on inside. Baby was born an hour later.

Baby #2: My water broke in a big gush as I was working through a contraction. As soon as it broke, I knew it was time to get in the tub. Baby was born a little over an hour later, I think.

Baby #3: I was in the tub again. This time I was starting to push, and just like the first time, it was a huge relief! As soon as it broke, I knew what I needed to do to get her out. The contractions felt more "focused", if that makes sense.