Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #21
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 36 week appt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
They told me my GBS was negative before I left the office. Does everyone else have theirs sent out or something????
It's a culture that they have to grow, which would take a couple days. There's no way they could know before you left the office even if they did the testing right there themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
Then one time with my first (terrible OB), who knows what happened because no one told me, but I waited so long in the exam room with no pants on on the table that I sweated through the paper on the table. They say people can wait more patiently when they are informed there will be a wait and why -- that office was so rude, they just put me in there and said nothing.
That's terrible! The nurses are pretty good about letting me know if it'll be a wait or not - for example, last week my OB was across the street delivering a baby, so the nurse did weight and BPand told me he wasn't there so I could go to the lab (same building) and get that started (standard urine dip each appt, but I also have bloodwork to watch my platelets and hemoglobin levels).
I'd much rather be able to use the time doing something else, or even just sitting *not* in the exam room!

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post

It's a culture that they have to grow, which would take a couple days. There's no way they could know before you left the office even if they did the testing right there themselves.
I guess DH says he remembers they do a screen then let it grow and call if it comes back positive later, but the initial screen was negative??? Eh, I'll ask on Friday
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #23
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
Then one time with my first (terrible OB), who knows what happened because no one told me, but I waited so long in the exam room with no pants on on the table that I sweated through the paper on the table. They say people can wait more patiently when they are informed there will be a wait and why -- that office was so rude, they just put me in there and said nothing.
when I was a teen, I had to see an orthopeadic surgeon and our appts would literally take 8 hours. Some of those hours in the waiting room, some in the exam room, then xrays, then more hours in the waiting room. It was horrid.

they tried to pull that again after the surgery, but we started leaving at that point.

She was a really highly desireable doc/surgeon... but it was really ridiculous.

now that I'm being transferred to civilian care for this vbac, I am reminded of all the ridiculousness. I mean really? how many times can you call the DAY OF my appt and reschedule? They'd never let me do that to them. People always complain about military healthcare, but I don't sit in waiting rooms for hours on end or get cancelled on repeatedly. I mean, it has happened.. I went in for an appt with DD once and they took 4 hours.. but that was because they didn't believe me and decided to research everything while I was there. but luckily it's not the norm.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 03-13-2013 at 01:55 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #24
melilo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with civilian/military care. I have had very prompt care in most DRs offices I have been to.

I can recall only one place I ever had to wait more than 5-10 mins, and I don't go there anymore.

I have never been cancelled on... I have only had my dentist reschedule, but that was far in advance because they make the appointments 6 months out if it's just a cleaning.

BTW, 37 week appt today! Can't believe I'm still pregnant!

Rubber City Doula You Deserve A Doula!
DONA Trained Birth Doula
melilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by melilo
Pretty sure it has nothing to do with civilian/military care. I have had very prompt care in most DRs offices I have been to.

I can recall only one place I ever had to wait more than 5-10 mins, and I don't go there anymore.

I have never been cancelled on... I have only had my dentist reschedule, but that was far in advance because they make the appointments 6 months out if it's just a cleaning.

BTW, 37 week appt today! Can't believe I'm still pregnant!
I agree. I am a civilian and my dr's office does not do that. That said, it was a total PITA to get my Mirena out so we could conceive this little man. I think they canceled like three times?? I was so frustrated! But it hasn't been an issue at all for my actual OB appts.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #26
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post

when I was a teen, I had to see an orthopeadic surgeon and our appts would literally take 8 hours. Some of those hours in the waiting room, some in the exam room, then xrays, then more hours in the waiting room. It was horrid.

they tried to pull that again after the surgery, but we started leaving at that point.

She was a really highly desireable doc/surgeon... but it was really ridiculous.

now that I'm being transferred to civilian care for this vbac, I am reminded of all the ridiculousness. I mean really? how many times can you call the DAY OF my appt and reschedule? They'd never let me do that to them. People always complain about military healthcare, but I don't sit in waiting rooms for hours on end or get cancelled on repeatedly. I mean, it has happened.. I went in for an appt with DD once and they took 4 hours.. but that was because they didn't believe me and decided to research everything while I was there. but luckily it's not the norm.
I don't complain about military health care for the most part. I do get frustrated with tricare, but thats another story. I like my free health care too much to complain. Buuuut this happened to me all kinds of times at Eglin. And it had nothing to do with me. My dh repeatedly missed my appts because after 1.5 hours in the waiting room he had to leave for a meeting. My very first appt with ds was cancelled and i was never told. I show up giddy to have an ultrasound to find out the appt was canceled and they cant get me in for 3 weeks...
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #27
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

hehe. well, I guess it can depend on where you are for either then

am glad I'm at a small base now - things are way efficient.