Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

ambleside online

I think we're leaning towards ao for history next year. My question is what year would i start? DS will be third grade so would we start there? Or at year one since first time we will be using this style? Any additional tips or advice on using this method? TIA

Advertisement

fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: ambleside online

I'd probably start at 2nd or 3rd grade. DS1 is a sensitive kid so he finds some of the books too scary (even though they really aren't, it's more action or suspense that he calls scary). That would be my only reason for starting a grade below but with DS2 it wouldn't matter because he likes "scary stuff," lol! DS1 thinks Toy Story, Cars 2, and several PBS Kids shows are sometimes scary I still think it's good for him to experience some of the more mature books and identify with the character's feelings. He's almost on the border of being too sheltered even though he's kind of done it to himself.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it really depends on how you feel about staring "in the middle" of the cycle. I have not taken that close of a look at year 1 or 2 to tell you what they look like for history but I know 3 picks up some where in the middle so if you are the type that likes to start at the very beginning your options are either to buy the books and then make it up for yourself as you go or look at year 1 and see if you can use it. I am using almost all of AO for my boys but I started my 6th grader at year 3 because he is SN and I wanted him to feel that he could read the books on his own. I didn't feel the books at year 6 were grade appropriate for a child who had not been doing AO from the beginning and already had some learning needs going in. With history I bought the suggested books but started at the beginning instead of in the middle if that makes sense. I don't like picking up in the middle of history. Not that it would matter too much, AO is on a cycle so eventually it would repeat itself (in the later grades). I don't know that I find AO that strong in history, we are considering using our old method instead, but that is just me.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
fiveofhearts
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I think it really depends on how you feel about staring "in the middle" of the cycle. I have not taken that close of a look at year 1 or 2 to tell you what they look like for history but I know 3 picks up some where in the middle so if you are the type that likes to start at the very beginning your options are either to buy the books and then make it up for yourself as you go or look at year 1 and see if you can use it. I am using almost all of AO for my boys but I started my 6th grader at year 3 because he is SN and I wanted him to feel that he could read the books on his own. I didn't feel the books at year 6 were grade appropriate for a child who had not been doing AO from the beginning and already had some learning needs going in. With history I bought the suggested books but started at the beginning instead of in the middle if that makes sense. I don't like picking up in the middle of history. Not that it would matter too much, AO is on a cycle so eventually it would repeat itself (in the later grades). I don't know that I find AO that strong in history, we are considering using our old method instead, but that is just me.
What history method is that? History/social studies is the one area I'm still looking at for next year. I did great in those in school but i just learned facts and quickly forgot them after i got my A. I want something that brings it to life more.
fiveofhearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have been using www.lessonpathways.com for history up until now. I just created an account (it is free) and assigned all of the pathways from 1st grade on then arranged them in roughly chronological order. We work through week by week reading the information, doing projects and playing games as they are assigned but if we get really interested in something that is presented a particular week we may stop and spend more time on it. I usually have my oldest do a naration or project of some sort once a month on something we have studied in history.

The problem I am running into in AO is that many of the books presented for the history program are not necessarily historically accurate.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Kristi26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Is your DS a strong reader or would you be reading it all to him either way? The year 3 stuff requires having a strong reader from the looks of it. If it were me and I wanted my 3rd grader to work on his/her own, I'd start at year 1. It would allow them to work on their own, as I said, but it would also allow them to start from the beginning.
-Kristi,wife(5/02), , HSing, CDing,SAHM to Andrew(1/00), Lukas(2/03),Lily (1/06),and Ian (5/09) !Sweet Gwen, stillborn, 12/26/11, angel baby 7/08 Free History plans and more here: http://themommywriter.blogspot.com/
Kristi26 is offline   Reply With Quote