Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #51
B's Mommy
Registered Users
Formerly: All Fleeced Out
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: When does the weightloss kick in?

For me, there is no "luck" about it. The initial baby weight I gain (about 15-20lbs above pre-pregnancy weight) falls off very easily, but unless I actually make an effort, I do not lose weight while BFing. I don't think the act of BFing itself will make most people lose weight, because it's easy to eat too many calories, but it sure is nice that I get to eat 500-700 extra calories a day and lose weight. I've lost 55lbs so far from my highest non-pregnant weight in about 15 months, but I was pregnant for 9 of those months, and lost about 15lbs until about 20 weeks due to morning sickness, then gained 10lbs above pre-pregnancy weight (actual weight gain from lowest pregnancy weight was 25lbs). But anyways, I use MyFitnessPal (on both my computer and phone) and track every single bite I eat, and my exercise. I have 1300 calories as my "baseline", then I eat 200 extra calories a day for nursing my toddler, and then I eat 15 calories for every 1oz I pump. My pumping calories vary from about 300-500 calories a day depending on how many pumps I can get in. I also HAVE to eat back any exercise calories or my supply suffers. So I'm currently doing Jillian Michael's Body Revolution and I run, and my HRM tells me exactly how many calories I burn, so I add that in, and get to eat those too. Most days I average 1800-2200 calories a day that I get to eat, and I'm losing at about a 1-1.5lbs a week rate. If I stop tracking my calories though, I overeat and don't lose any weight (and will probably gain again like I did during dd1's first year.) Tracking isn't too hard for me anymore - it's just part of my lifestyle. I do have a day once a week where I don't track and can eat pretty much whatever I feel like. It has only improved my weightloss, but I don't binge or anything, I just eat when hungry and get to eat things I don't normally eat because it isn't worth the calories, like cake. Lol

Advertisement

Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #52
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

what exercise do u do? lots of water. some dont loose like i didnt with my second versus lost well with first baby. hboping once i can get out in spring will help me....
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #53
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

i know someone 5' 5 to 6' & she lost fast & well with walking like i die with my oldest but others i know have to work really hard to loose.... try adding cardio....
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #54
HotPotato1010
Registered Users

My Mood:

Firstly, big hugs. It's frustrating when you want to lose, but it's not coming off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Weight gain and weight loss are about calories in and calories out. It's not genetics, it's not anything else. I recommend actually counting all of your calories, carbs, sugars, and proteins for a single, average day, just for some perspective.

I also recommend eating less, as in as close to zero sugars, more fiber, and a lot more protein.

Weight loss is 90%diet, 10%exercise. Pay attention to exactly what you're eating.
I totally agree with this 100%!

Weightloss is all about what you are eating, not how much. Choose the right foods and you can eat as much as you want. I used MyFitnessPal to track what I was eating and it was really eye-opening. I also researched what foods were filling but healthy. Instead of chips, choose a handful of almonds.

When I was breastfeeding Eva, I used nursing as an excuse to eat anything I wanted. I learned that breastfeeding is NOT a substitute for healthy foods and moderate exercise.

Now, I am nursing my second child and I am down below my pre-pregnancy weight because I'm making the right food choices. I haven't started exercising yet.
HotPotato1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #55
crunchycrossfitmamaof2++
Registered Users
Formerly: smalltownmama
seller
seller

My Mood:
I'm struggling with weight loss but know its my fault. I have a 2.5 yo and a 5 week old so I don't have time or energy to do much once I have all housewife duties done
crunchycrossfitmamaof2++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #56
kjlarson
Registered Users

I exclusively BF 3 babies, and each time gained approx 50 lbs during pregnancy. Each time, I was between 9 and 12 months postpartum before it really started coming off. Of course, you should eat somewhat healthy, and try to get in some exercise. It's actually hard for me to post that because I hate exercise, and am NOT prone to partaking regularly. That said, even getting out for a brisk walk with baby in stroller is great for both of you. I do remember doing that a lot with my first in a cheap jogging stroller. No other kiddos to take along, and the pneumatic tires on a stroller make it so much smoother to push, and ride in. If this is your first, relish it. Be patient with yourself, and good luck!
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #57
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I'm really excited to read Mother Food. (I just ordered it.) Its supposed to have some great information about foods that encourage milk supply. I'm hoping I'll be able to lose weight while breastfeeding by creating a healthy diet out of foods that support lactation.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #58
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

For me, 6 months both times was the magic number. However with my second, I've held on to extra poundage whereas with my first it just melted away. Coincidentally my second is a big, chubby baby and my first is exceptionally skinny. I've had to work to get these extra pounds off after my second but breastfeeding definitely has helped. Especially since I've been counting calories...those extra calories burned while BFing are nice.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #59
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Weight gain and weight loss are about calories in and calories out. It's not genetics, it's not anything else. I recommend actually counting all of your calories, carbs, sugars, and proteins for a single, average day, just for some perspective.

I also recommend eating less, as in as close to zero sugars, more fiber, and a lot more protein.

Weight loss is 90%diet, 10%exercise. Pay attention to exactly what you're eating.
Good post. I noticed I was constantly starving and gaining weight so I got on My Fitness Pal and recorded my calories one day. I was eating so many and so poorly! So many empty calories as well. I was starving so I'd eat something junky that made me feel full instantly. It's been 2 months and I've gone from 122 to 113 lbs. I count my calories but more importantly I'm paying more attention to my food choices. I also exercise daily now but my diet could still use improving. I'm getting there though; slowly but surely. I have noticed a dip in my supply since counting calories though even though I factor in 300 or 400 calories a day for BF. However my nursling has become quite distracted and is dropping feedings. It could be my supply drop has lost her interest or she's just losing interest and that's why it's dropped but now she only nurses when she wakes up, at nap time, at bed time, and once in the night. I don't mind though. I'm enjoying the weight loss and she's happy with her 4x a day.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #60
MakingHome
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This time around, I'm using MyFitnessPal. The main thing I'm focusing on is using my calories carefully. Trying to have a large salad everyday helps me use my calories well. The days I don't do that are the day I struggle to get under my calories. Well see how it goes this time, but I've already lost an additional 7 pounds (in three weeks) beyond the weight I lost immediately at birth.

I aim to encourage Christian women at Making Home.
MakingHome is offline   Reply With Quote