Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
sailalong
Registered Users

Question Best carrier for bad back

Hey guys. I'm new to babywearing and am currently using a baby bjorn carrier for my ~10lbs 3 week old. The issue is that it seems to put most of his weight on my upper back and this is making me quite sore. I would like to find a carrier that puts most of his weight on my hips if this is possible? Thanks!

Advertisement

sailalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
starbeam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best carrier for bad back

baby bjorns and carriers like it are the WORST for your back! i think the MOST supportive carrier is a good woven wrap (look up didymos wraps or bbslen wraps or natibaby wraps), but they can be spendy and are a little more difficult to use, although once you get the hang of it they're easy.

if you want a simpler carrier with buckles, go for an ergo, boba, beco, or kinderpack. they all cost about the same, so lot of the choice is what colors they offer. they all put the weight on your hips. i have an ergo for sale in excellent used condition since we like our wraps best. pm me if you're interested
starbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

I have very weak shoulders and I find woven wraps to be the most supportive carriers. There is a learning curve, but well worth both the time and price!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
clarinetb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree, woven wraps can be used from newborn through childhood and while they have a bit of a learning curve they have tonnes of different says of using them and it makes it a lot easier to change which muscle groups you are using as you get tired or sore, just by adjusting how you tie a bit.

Mei Tais and allt he buckle carriers (soft structured carriers) have waist and shoulder straps, so you're putting weight on your main trunk rather than just 'hanging' from your shoulders like you get with the Bjorn.

A couple of other things, in general front facing out isn't recommended, but especially if you're already having other issues I'd skip it for sure. You put a lot more strain on your own back and pelvic floor in that position, which isn't any good
When you get to back carries, vary how high baby is on your back to see where it is most comfortable. Very small babies should be very high on your back but as they get older there is some variations. It may be counter intuitive but often higher on the back is easier on back problems. I tended at first to keep the waist straps pretty low, like at my hips, because it made me feel it was taking more pressure of my lower back where I had problems, but the more I looked at things and tried people's suggestions, I do find higher back carries a lot more comfortable overall.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

checkout youtube.com you can find reviews on the carriers people are mentioning and how to put on a woven wrap.

We used a ergo and a strechy boba wrap and I loved them both. I hope with #2 I manage to get a woven wrap to try.

I just got a preschool kinderpack I'm hoping to get my son up in it soon

Good Luck!
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
katjoy
Registered Users
seller

woven wrap
katjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
sweetDD
Registered Users

My Mood:

How about the Action Baby carrier? It has a strap that can be criss-crossed so baby's weight is evenly spread on the back plus it has a hip belt for added support. I had a backache before(on my first carrier) but when I've used the ABC there is no more backache even for after a long hours of wearing.
sweetDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #8
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Woven or kinder pack. My sis has horrible back issues and only uses a kp.

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone
Old 03-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
sailalong
Registered Users

An update for you guys. I got a beco 4g off ebay and LOVE it! It transfers his weight onto my hips very effectively and I now feel like I can walk around with him for hours without my back getting sore/tired.
sailalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I love my 4g, even for my almost 3 yr old....good choice!

sry 4 abbrev, im 1 hnd-ed typng & nak frm my iPhone