Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #31
mariesmom
Registered Users
seller

Re: what got you through transition (natural birth)?

I was a weenie during transition and made them give me an epidural... which I totally regret now. I went through 5 hours and 15 minutes of labor with no drugs, then during transition I was going crazy with pain, NOTHING helped at all, and my midwife thought that my daughter was positioned wrong and that I'd be in labor for a while longer still. So I got the epidural and 15 minutes later my daughter was out. I feel like a total cop-out and with the next one am definitely planning on going all natural...

Advertisement

mariesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #32
birdinhand
Registered Users

I seem to have more transition -like intensity and anxiety when I hit second-stage; transition is more like the rest or labor.

With my first pushing felt kind of good -- pushed for 3 hours and then they pulled him out with a vacuum. He was 9#, 8oz.

With my second, he was posterior and asynclitic, didn't rotate and came out that way, and it NEVER felt good to push. My midwife would put her fingers inside me to give me an idea of where to push to, because I didn't have an urge at all. I pushed for 90 minutes. He was 9#, 9oz.

With my third, he was also posterior with a nuchal hand. I started pushing and each time I had to stop because it hurt so bad. Then I would try another position. I was only half-committed to pushing because it hurt in my lower abdomen. My midwife finally had my try squatting next to the bed. It hurt so bad I had to stand up. She poppoed out a foot pedal for me to lunge with. As soon as I got into a lunge (all the same contraction with the squatting, standing, then lunging) I felt him turn and drop. I said, "He's coming!" but it was probably more like "HEEEEEEEE'SSSSS COOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!!" My midwife peeked up beween my legs (now I was just standing with both feet on the floor, thinking, "I think he is going to fall on the ground. But I think it's going to okay"). My midwife coaxed me back into bed and he was born in the next contraction, easily. It still never felt good to push, I think because both he and #2 weren't putting the right pressure on my cervix for me to feel that fetal expulsion trigger. He was 8#, 2oz.

What helped me the most was being in the Jacuzzi tub through most of transition. Then rocking in a rocking chair until it was time to push.

Last edited by birdinhand; 03-17-2013 at 07:29 PM.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #33
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehands View Post
I think I have a high pain threshold or something, because I pretty much could be a poster girl for hypnobirthing. I get hyper-focused and kind of curl up inside myself emotionally. I don't talk much or vocalize much. Just focus on the breathing, etc. There is always one point in my labors where I think, "If I were at the hospital, I would SO take the drugs." And then I remind myself that I'm not, and they're not available and move on.

Just for the record, when they make it seem like hypnobirthing is some magic pill that makes labor orgasmic and all the pain go away, they are lying. (Okay, fine, MAYBE it really does work that way for some women.) Just because someone isn't screaming or freaking out doesn't mean it still doesn't hurt like *$ll, because it does. LOL
I think me and you labor similarly. I actually said the exact same thing to myself about the drugs during labor I told my DH to expect screaming, swearing, and all sorts of drama during transition. But I didn't have any of that and I can't really pinpoint when transition was exactly to be honest.

I did moan loudly and deeply during my labor and I made my husband squeeze my hips for hours. Pushing actually felt good because it was a break from the contractions.

I tried to do hypnobabies during labor and it didn't work for me. I actually just focused on relaxing as much as possible during contractions and at the end it was just take each one as it came.

Eta: even though I labored pretty calmly I am definitely not graceful. I threw myself on hands and knees with every contraction. I don't really think its possible for me. Lol

Last edited by evasimone; 03-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #34
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

breathing, moaning through contractions working baby down through that, knowing you are very close to the end and baby is almost there. although at that point I always feel like it is never going to end lol and then baby comes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #35
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I videoed some of my last birth, and watching myself during transition was so funny (though not at the time, of course)
I sounded drunk. At one part, I was at 9cm and I said "Has my water broken yet?" And before she could answer - "Whatever. Break it, just break it. Now."

Last edited by bigmamakelsey; 03-20-2013 at 04:52 PM.
bigmamakelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #36
AtLeast
Registered
Formerly: rli***t
seller
seller

This thread had me watching my birth video today too!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #37
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had my 3rd non-medicated birth a month ago. I got through transition by breathing REALLY deeply and closing my eyes, grabbing onto the bed rails, moaning here and there (I was semi-upright, on my left side). While still up and walking around I'd lean against a wall or the bed, sway back and forth a bit. The shower was great, too! I don't like the pain, obviously, but apparently I'm very calm/quiet while in labor.

Visit my Etsy shop, Gwendylicious!

Last edited by karlitacat; 03-20-2013 at 06:15 PM.
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #38
birdinhand
Registered Users

The thing about labor is, you are a storm inside -- tornado, tsunami, hurricane -- all raging inside your head and your body. Many women feel totally unglued on the outside, too (and some are, and that's perfectly fine, too). So when they see how they actually were, it doesn't match up with how it felt while in the torrent of it all.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #39
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
The thing about labor is, you are a storm inside -- tornado, tsunami, hurricane -- all raging inside your head and your body. Many women feel totally unglued on the outside, too (and some are, and that's perfectly fine, too). So when they see how they actually were, it doesn't match up with how it felt while in the torrent of it all.
That is totally true! After a few of my uneventful, relatively quick, med-free home water births, my midwives went on and on about what a lovely peaceful birth that was, and they wish every birth could be like that, etc., etc., and while I know that things went about as well as could possibly be expected, in my head I was like "WHAT?! LOVELY AND PEACEFUL?! Are you KIDDING ME?! That was terrible and painful and I am SO GLAD IT'S DONE!"
Old 03-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #40
Queensasha17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This thread is so interesting...i will be having my first in june and am really worried that I wont have many options in the hospital as far as being stuck in the bed vs being able to get up or move around at all or being able to shower etc. Do you ladies know if they ever let you do that stuff? The hospital I am delivering at doesn't have birthing tubs or anything and my ob and I haven't discussed anything about delivery yet.

Married to my USAF hubby, the love of my life.

iso: os swaddlebees simplex, 40F/DDD nursing bras

Last edited by Queensasha17; 03-20-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Queensasha17 is offline   Reply With Quote