Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:58 AM   #1391
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

Subbing for future reference, thank you!

Advertisement

RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #1392
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamastesh View Post
Best thread ever.
Agreed
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #1393
Raspberry Kisses
Registered Users
seller

This thread ought to be made into a sticky!
Raspberry Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #1394
missrachelk
Registered Users
seller

hello - is anyone out there? LOL

This thread is so helpful! I would love some advice about stink, stripping and ammonia.

My DD is almost one year and overall we've had no major issues. BUT we are dealing with some stink and ammonia lately, and I've not been able to shift them yet. Most annoying / pressing is the stink. Once she pees in a diaper it will smell like poo / barnyard / FUNK. Overnight diapers are the only ones that smell of ammonia and she hasn't had any rashes from them to date, so I'm not really sure if it's an 'issue' or just normal.

I use pockets with prefolds / flats / hemp to stuff. A couple BG freetimes thrown in the mix too (these are particularly stinky)

I am thinking from reading here and elsewhere that I have residual bacteria in the diapers (not getting clean enough in the first place) but maybe I have buildup??

I started out with Charlie's soap and encountered similar stink issues in my newborn fitteds a couple months in. So I switched to All free & clear (my prior detergent of choice for regular washing so I figured I'd give it a try) Since then I've alternated between those 2 but not tried anything else. Oh I have added Nellie's oxy booster (use it occasionally to soak and in each load if I remember)

My routine (after reading this thread I switched to all HOT) is full wash cycle with no soap, extra heavy cycle with soap (one scoop charlies, to the first line on the all cap), then a rinse. Regular old style top loader. I don't have particularly hard or soft water.

I have boiled and sunned my inserts, soaked in oxy, and added the oxy to the regular wash and none seems to help. Today I boiled my inserts again and soaked the pockets in oxy, then added the inserts to the soak once they were 'cooked'.

What else do I do to strip? If that's what I need anyway.
HELP!

I am going to Target tomorrow and am thinking of picking up some tide, if I can find unscented (I can't stand scented laundry)
missrachelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 PM   #1395
Kenner82
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by missrachelk View Post
hello - is anyone out there? LOL

This thread is so helpful! I would love some advice about stink, stripping and ammonia.

My DD is almost one year and overall we've had no major issues. BUT we are dealing with some stink and ammonia lately, and I've not been able to shift them yet. Most annoying / pressing is the stink. Once she pees in a diaper it will smell like poo / barnyard / FUNK. Overnight diapers are the only ones that smell of ammonia and she hasn't had any rashes from them to date, so I'm not really sure if it's an 'issue' or just normal.

I use pockets with prefolds / flats / hemp to stuff. A couple BG freetimes thrown in the mix too (these are particularly stinky)

I am thinking from reading here and elsewhere that I have residual bacteria in the diapers (not getting clean enough in the first place) but maybe I have buildup??

I started out with Charlie's soap and encountered similar stink issues in my newborn fitteds a couple months in. So I switched to All free & clear (my prior detergent of choice for regular washing so I figured I'd give it a try) Since then I've alternated between those 2 but not tried anything else. Oh I have added Nellie's oxy booster (use it occasionally to soak and in each load if I remember)

My routine (after reading this thread I switched to all HOT) is full wash cycle with no soap, extra heavy cycle with soap (one scoop charlies, to the first line on the all cap), then a rinse. Regular old style top loader. I don't have particularly hard or soft water.

I have boiled and sunned my inserts, soaked in oxy, and added the oxy to the regular wash and none seems to help. Today I boiled my inserts again and soaked the pockets in oxy, then added the inserts to the soak once they were 'cooked'.

What else do I do to strip? If that's what I need anyway.
HELP!

I am going to Target tomorrow and am thinking of picking up some tide, if I can find unscented (I can't stand scented laundry)
Anytime you smell "barnyard" "poop" or "funk" the problem is that there are still tiny particles of poop and pee in your diapers (ew, right?) It's totally not necessary to do a full wash cycle without soap, all you really need is an initial rinse to get off most of the ickies (though it's great that you're doing everything in hot, or warm if that's not an option!) Otherwise your wash routine sounds fine. You want to make sure you're not washing too few or too many diapers at once (too many and there isn't enough room to move around and let the water and soap penetrate, but too few and there isn't enough friction going on between the diapers to help work out the yuckies) but your best bet is probably just to up your detergent (if you're smelling poop in the diapers, the problem is NEVER to use less detergent! I wish people had stopped telling me that was the solution to everything when I started with cloth diapers!) Ammonia smell in overnight diapers (or in the diaper pail) is totally normal. Ammonia is the breakdown of urine and it'll happen over time but is sped up by lack of air flow (diaper pail!) or heat (which is what happens when a diaper is worn on a warm body for 12 or so hours!) If you have ammonia stink out of the washing machine or after the diaper has been peed on, then you can worry (though in my case, that just means I need more detergent. So ammonia doesn't always mean detergent buildup, either!)

Anyhow, long story short - try more detergent
Kenner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #1396
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Also, you can try a regular ol bleach wash, double rinse.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #1397
missrachelk
Registered Users
seller

Thanks!!! If I bleach should I take out the pul and just bleach the inserts? If it won't hurt them I'd rather 'treat' everything.

I stripped them by boiling my inserts with a little dish soap then doing a long hot oxy soak. Then a wash with detergent and a bunch of rinses. I did 2 cycles of this to get all of my diapers stripped. There are some inserts still to be done so ill probably do another round this weekend.

So to be more efficient would I be better off to do:
Rinse, wash with soap, rinse?

If I add more soap to the one wash will I need to add extra cycles/ rinses?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #1398
missrachelk
Registered Users
seller

Oh and how many is a good load of diapers? I use pockets with prefixes and flats and hemp inserts. I think maybe I've had too many.

i wash every other day already - I don't wanna wash every day!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #1399
missrachelk
Registered Users
seller

Oh and how many is a good load of diapers? I use pockets with prefixes and flats and hemp inserts. I think maybe I've had too many.

i wash every other day already - I don't wanna wash every day!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #1400
babyleon
Registered Users
seller

I just subscribed to this thread lol
babyleon is offline   Reply With Quote