Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me understand...

I make and sell carriers. Ring Slings to be more specific. I wouldn't price one as high as $100, but that's because I am not really planning to buy fabric and put in the work that would require that. If I priced one that high, it would likely be a custom piece involving very specific fabric, embroidery and pockets and all sorts of fancy bells and whistles lol.

Generally, I price according to the fabric costs and the work involved. I have one that is as high as $70, because it required quite a bit more work to get the details. I generally price them around $50 each. That reflects the costs of materials, plus the time involved with making them and other costs surrounding them, like machine maintenance, shipping costs, etc etc.

I haven't made a mei tai yet, though I want to. I have a pattern, but it is kind of intimidating to me, it seems to be quite a bit more work than a simple ring sling. I can understand why a mei tai costs quite a bit more.

(eta, when you look at my shop you see some $35 slings, those are clearanced because I want to get rid of them. I need to rearrange that so they don't pop up on top.)

Advertisement

Last edited by happysmileylady; 03-18-2013 at 08:13 AM.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It really is more understandable if you think about it as another type of stroller, rather than a piece of fabric. There are cheap, shoddy strollers that work for a few quick trips, moderately-priced strollers that work pretty well in most situations, and high-end strollers with extra convenience and comfort features.

The formula I see a lot for WAHM pricing is 2x(materials + labor)=wholesale, double again for retail cost.

I have spent from $0 - $180 on various carriers, and the most expensive one is DEFINITELY the best. I would pay double what i did for that carrier, its just so comfortable and well-made (and, yes, stylish).

The "free" Seven sling is a POS, if you hadn't heard I think you generally get what you pay for and WAHMs can only sell what the market will bear - if people are willing to pay $600 for a handwoven, hand-dyed, panda-kissed wrap scented with organically-grown gooseberries, more power to them!