Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Registered Users
GD mamas, please commiserate with me

This is my first pregnancy with diagnosed GD. They suspect I had it with my boys, but it wasn't caught. The only reason they found it this time is because I didn't want to do the GTT, so I checked my blood sugar 4 times a day.

I'm 33 weeks pregnant and on twice daily insulin injections. We tried to control with diet, but I was having to eliminate nearly all carbs. I was losing weight, so I went on Metformin and even with a seriously low carb diet I wasn't able to control my sugars.

I've been on insulin now for 2 weeks and have had the dietitian tweak my diet because it's really important that I gain some weight. I'm now supposed to be eating 230g carb per day and at least 16oz of protein. Obviously that is affecting the insulin that I need. The last few days my numbers have been high or hugging the line. My insulin will be increased again.

Are there other mamas with GD that can relate? I see that there are a lot that have diet controlled or control with a bit of oral medications. Is there anybody else that is having to do insulin injections twice daily?
Anjuli, recently separated mom to Bubbles, my 5.5 year old wild man, Squidge, my almost 3 year old daredevil, and Lou, my 7 month old newbie
bumminbeachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote