Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:
He's tired!!!

I've always had a chronically cranky and high needs kid. He's the kind of kid that needs a GOOD amount of sleep to function, but simply doesn't. He'll be 20 months soon.

When with me and DH he naps avg 1.5 hours.. sometimes 2. He goes to bed at 7:30 (pushed back a couple months ago when he shows signs of clearly not being tired at 7) and is awake every morning by 5:15.

We've tried earlier bedtimes, later bedtimes, stretching out his nap.. I get that he has an internal clock. I HONESTLY wouldn't care -- IF he could be an overall happy kid with this amount of sleep. But he's not. On paper it might seem normal, but for him - it's at least 2 hours short of what makes him okay.

The end result is a full day of tears, temper tantrums, throwing things .. everything is a battle. We have good moments, never good days. On the RARE occasion he gets a good nap and a decent night's sleep, he's 180 degrees of difference.

Can't make a kid sleep.. what we are supposed to do? We're all miserable.

Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: He's tired!!!

What wakes him up at 5:15? Is it light? Noisy? Is he hungry? You might need to feed him a snack right before bed, get a good roller curtain + hanging black out curtain to block any light, and white noise to block any outside noise. If you already have all that and he's waking up at10 hours, then I would look into his diet for the problem, honestly.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's not light or hunger - although he's constantly eating - We never pull him from his crib until 6 a.m... and he usually just hangs out, plays with his animals, etc. until we go get him. So breakfast isn't until after 6 every morning.

As far as noise, we do the absolute best we can. He sleeps with white noise. Our house os tinyyyy.. and his bedrooms backs up against the bathroom. We're both as quiet as possible when we get up (we both work full time), but I also realize at that hour his sleep is the lightest.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

How does he act at daycare? Is he sleeping there? Better or worse than at home?
Old 03-19-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
How does he act at daycare? Is he sleeping there? Better or worse than at home?
Always angelic at dc. But I've posted that before. Almost never cranky. Naps 2.5/3 hours on schedule.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeclothmomma View Post
Always angelic at dc. But I've posted that before. Almost never cranky. Naps 2.5/3 hours on schedule.
Aren't they always? It's peer pressure. I have kids that will nap for me for over 2 hours, but at home, they scream and cry. They will eat most foods for me, but eat only goldfish crackers at home.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
Aren't they always? It's peer pressure. I have kids that will nap for me for over 2 hours, but at home, they scream and cry. They will eat most foods for me, but eat only goldfish crackers at home.
Yup lol
Truly annoying