Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

hemangioma on the face

my 20 month old DD has a red hemangioma on the tip of her nose.
the drs said it would go away when she was a year and it hasn't. not even any sign of it getting smaller. it is raised. we want to look into getting it removed to reduce the risk of scaring. (step DD had 2 on her head that they let go away on their own, it took until she was 7 and they left scars on her head that are bald)

anyway, would we go to a plastic surgeon or a dermatologist for this?

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

My 12 yo dd had a huge one on her back as a baby. It did go away. But before then there was a doctor at Arkansas Children's that was absolutely remarkable at surgery on them. I can't remember his name now but will try to find it. He had people coming from all over the country for surgery, he was that good!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Google. Dr. Milton Waner. He is now in NY. We would have traveled to have him remove our daughters but it did start getting smaller by about 13 months old. And hers was about 4 inches long and 2 wide. It was right across her spine. They thought is might have caused tethered spinal cord but after an MRI we found it didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
KLJ07
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: hemangioma on the face

My ds (16.5 months) had a dime sized hemangioma on his forehead. His doctor said it should be gone by the age of 4-5 but could go away much sooner.

And sorry, but unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question.
KLJ07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
jasminegrl
Registered Users

my daughter had 2 small ones on different parts of her face, and they are almost non-existent now, they were raised and slowly went down, shes 3 now and has just a slight trace if you look for them. Personally how large they are would affect if we got them removed or now, my daughters we would not have because of how small they were. Kids are kids though and will wind up with scars regardless.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

One of my sister's twins has a couple...one on her head which is covered by hair and one on her labia. She is 3 years old and they have not gone away or gotten any smaller. Her pediatrician has referred her to Children's Hospital in Little Rock, AR (they live in OK) to have the one on her labia removed. My sis hasn't called yet. I live in AR and it is an amazing hospital.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
slyeates
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My DD has a small one on the back of her head. It has just started to fade in th past month or so. Good luck mama.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

My DD has one on her forehead and it has started fading, but I'm using topical Timilol drops on it. Have you done any treatment or have you just let it run its course?

There is a drug Propranolol that is used to help shrink and fade the mark. It does require a hospital stay while they run tests to make sure it won't cause any side effects (it is a beta-blocker) The results I have seen have been good!

Friend of a friend's son had one on his cheek. She first used the topical Timilol (she is the one who told me about it) and then went on to have laser surgery on it. There is a risk of scaring with the surgery, but sometimes the scaring from the laser will end up being less than the scaring from the hemangioma.

I would make an appointment with a dermatologist to have it looked at. Try to find someone who is knowledgeable about hemangiomas. My DD's derm. wanted to just do the wait and see approach (just like her ped did) but I wanted to use Timilol, so he prescribed it. It was odd though, when I took my DD in to see the after hours doctor when she had croup, the ped there wanted to contact my DD's regular ped about getting her a referral to see a great dermatologist who is wonderful at treating hemangiomas. Unfortunately, my DD's ped never got us that referral I really don't think my DD's ped thinks you should treat them. So make sure you find a doctor that feels that treating it is a good option.

Good luck!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_just_me
There is a drug Propranolol that is used to help shrink and fade the mark. It does require a hospital stay while they run tests to make sure it won't cause any side effects (it is a beta-blocker) The results I have seen have been good!

Good luck!
This is may not be accurate in regards to the hospital visit. My dd had a pencil eraser sized one next to her eye. Ped referred us to an opthomologist. Because the spot was near her eye and if continued to grow could affect her eye, he put her on propranol. There was no hospitalization required. I think this might have been true when they first started using the med for kids about 5 years ago.

We used it for about six months. She was 6 mos when we started. There were no side effects. The hemi. was almost gone after 6 months of treatment. Now at 2.5 the spot is completely flat and smooth with no scaring or droopy skin. There are a few blood vessels visible but I think they will eventually fade as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2054973881.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	137506
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-633718834.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	137505  

Last edited by AniMommy; 03-19-2013 at 11:40 PM.
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote