Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
linguafranka
Registered Users

Baby fusses & squirms

I am new to babywearing, and I really need it to work for us so I can get things done. Important things like eat enough food in the day to keep breastfeeding healthy, and do all the baby laundry!
I started with a moby, but he's got it all stretched out now. Then I tried a babyhawk mei tai, and I really liked that. Can even nurse in it. But he tends to get squirmy & fuss. I think maybe the seat is too wide for him. He prefers to straighten his legs than to sit froggy.
I know kids are all different, but I'd really love to help my little guy enjoy being worn & even nap in there. Maybe I'm too worried about is struggling & it doesn't matter? I mean he's not screaming, just acts uncomfortable. I saw a lady carrying her toddler in a SPOC on the street the other day & the kid was hanging halfway out fast asleep & limp ;-)
Any advice is welcome - how to keep him comfy OR nhow to not stress if he squirms...

Advertisement

linguafranka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
lauraz76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby fusses & squirms

I have used a Moby-similar wrap and also a Babyhawk. How old is your baby, and about how much does he/she weigh?

I use the MOby-type wrap as long as possible (DS is 4 months old at present), because it keeps them so snug and secure. Mine does stretch out, but I just wrap it more tightly so he stays up securely. Sometimes he does fuss at first until he settles in. DD used to crash out a lot more in the wrap. DS stays calm but doesn't crash out as much in it. Maybe the Babyhawk is too 'open', and he needs the snugness of the Moby?

Oh, also, after about 2 months of age, I didn't put him frog-legged anymore, I had to put his legs hanging out of it.

Keep at it! He may just need to get used to it. Babywearing is awesome!!
lauraz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
saturn
Registered Users

If he's too big for the Moby, he is definitely big enough to have his legs out. If the Babyhawk seat is too wide for him (it should go from back of the knee to back of the knee), you can try scrunching it down by tying a ribbon around the seat. You can also reduce the height by rolling it up around the waist belt, if you think that might help. Depending on how old he is, you might also want to experiment with putting his arms in or out - some babies have a preference. Finally, it may just take a little time for him to get used to it. My daughter always fussed when I tried new carriers, but eventually she got used to them.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
squirrly
Registered Users

Yep, legs out is totally ok!
squirrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
LandSalm0n
Registered Users
seller

my LO gets fussy when she is wrapped too tight.
LandSalm0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
BellaBabyMom
Registered Users

I have the same problem! DD is now 4mths and I have a baby k'tan which she will only not cry in when she's nursing, I have a babyhawk, she doesn't like and fusses, and an ergo. I just bought the ergo to try and think I might return since its similar to the babyhawk. Any advice? Should I keep the ergo and see if she'll like it more later?
BellaBabyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
saturn
Registered Users

BellaBabyMom,
Since it doesn't sound like your daughter has a preference between the Babyhawk or the Ergo, I'd say it depends on which carrier YOU like. Do you like the Ergo? Do you think you would use it? Are there other caregivers or family members who might use it?
A 4 month old may just want to be able to look around, maybe it's time to experiment with hip or back carries so she can see more. Both the Babyhawk and the Ergo can be used for hip and back carries.
saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Mine isn't a big fan. I have a baby hawk, organic ergo, boba 3g, moby, linen wrap, and like 4 ring slings and she still fights it =/

I had to buy a good stroller because she loves it. She gets touched out.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
jhallod
Registered Users

Try less clothing. DS prefers a tshirt and diaper or he gets too hot. Helped us greatly and now he loves it. Also don't try right before nap time. I would do it right after a feeding so he's happy and content
jhallod is offline   Reply With Quote