Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Exercise during pregnancy?

I haven't been exercising long and I've taken a month break because of ds being sick and my mom being in the hospital. I wasn't able to drop all the weight I wanted from being pregnant with ds, but me and dh are REALLY wanting baby #2. I know the doctor will want me to gain very little weight, and I'd like to keep exercising if possible. Right now I do a spin class once and week, weight lifting, and elliptical all on different days - but I was going 4 days a week. I didn't really take it easy on anything since I want to push myself. Do you think there's a good in between I can find once we are able to concieve and if I haven't dropped the weight by then?

DH works in North Dakota and we can't move there yet because of the housing crisis so it could take us a while to conceive, but then again it could take just once.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Exercise during pregnancy?

While I'm all for exercise, remember that what/how much you eat is a bigger factor for weight loss. Do your best to focus on healthy eating in anticipation of future pregnancy. Pregnancy, in many ways, can throw your exercise plan for a loop. Any bleeding and doc will tell you to stop. Morning sickness, you won't want to go. You'll be exhausted and it's a great excuse to take a nap instead of exercising.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There's no reason to stop what you're doing, even after conceiving, if you feel up to it! They just suggest not to add any new/additional exercising when pregnant, but continuing what you've been all ready doing is just fine!
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
mariesmom
Registered Users
seller

I just walked a LOT, every day. If you keep a good pace, you'll burn quite a few calories without putting much strain on your body at all. Your son would probably enjoy it too!
mariesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just listen to your body, I usually work out quite a bit when I'm not pregnant, but once I am I get very light headed right away. Even a long walk can get me dizzy. My cousin is an instructor at a gym in town and was working out 5 days a week and teaching her class, she had to do more modified moves the bigger she got, and finally was told by her dr to stop entirely because the baby started dropping. It's all about what will work for you, if you feel comfortable go for it.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, you can keep doing what you're doing, so long as you feel OK, and as long as it's non-contact.
I exercised daily before becoming pregnant, and kept it up until about 5 1/2 weeks, and then I just had to stop because I felt SO TERRIBLE! But I started feeling better at about 10 1/2 weeks or so, and am now doing my prenatal DVD (Erin O'Brien - love her!) daily.
About the weight gain - you should be able to keep it reasonable if you eat well - lots of veggies, whole grains, lean protein, etc. It might take a little more planning, but it will be good for you and baby.
All the best!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the advice! I know every pregnancy is different, but with ds I felt AMAZING being pregnant. I feel better pregnant than any other time. I am a bit tired, but no sickness what so ever. Fingers crossed baby #2 will be the same way and I can continue to work out. I pay $50 a month on my gym membership which includes the kiddie gym so I especially would hate for it to go to waste. Would yoga be an option too?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you have been actively exercising when you get pregnant you can generally continue. Just listen to you body, it will tell you if you need to slow down.

I did Pilates until 36 weeks. I ran for the first 3 months about 5 days a week and continued power walking after that.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
brandyleigh
Registered Users
seller

I think exercise in pregnancy is wonderful! Yoga is so good for you especially! I love it all...I ran with my last one til 38 weeks....this time around running hasn't been part of my pregnancy. I wish it would've (weather makes it harder) but I just feel more myself when I exercise! Good luck!
brandyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Let me first start off by saying exercising during your pregnancy is going to do wonders for you especially if you were already exercising previously. Your body will be able to tell you when to back off or when to NOT do something in particular. First hand experience with this pregnancy I've exercised 5 days a week all throughout. For the first 35 weeks I did weight lifting, spin classes, and even running. At 35 weeks my body told me to back off a tad so I did. I could no longer run at the same speed or do the spin classes to the full capacity but I could still walk briskly in an incline and spin at a lower level.
In your efforts be sure to stay away from any contact sports, be very cautious with Kickboxing moves, as well as if doing weights make sure you do it alongside a personal trainer or you research things that you can do for each trimester since this will change the types of exercises you are limited to perform. Always be safe, listen to your body and modify exercises when your body asks it of you.
Good luck