Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

leapster2

I bought two leapster2 game systems for my older dds at christmas (used). They work ok, sometimes. About 60% of the time when you go to select "cartridge game" the unit will turn itself off or restart. On the occasions it accepts the cartridge it works fine until you want to switch games. Does anybody else have this problem? Is there a way I can get it to accept the cartridges easier? Can I be cleaned or something along those lines?

It's really driving me crazy and it is irritating to my kids. They don't really understand why it's not working just that they're getting frustrated that they can't play the game they want. Since I bought them used I'm not sure there's anything that Leapster would do for me. And I don't want to pay retail to replace them, but my kids love them and would be really upset if we got rid of them.

Advertisement

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: leapster2

Mine do the same thing. I got them and the games used. All the new games work great most of the time. The used games it is hit or miss. I have cleaned the machines and cartridges with a q-tip dippen in alcohol. Makes it work for a bit.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
PrettyinPink89
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son got one new for his birthday 2 years ago and is just now having the same issue. I am wondering if they just stop working after awhile .
PrettyinPink89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I will try the alcohol, thanks kimmie!

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
ADORABLE WINTER HATS FSOT!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Honeybee1999
Registered Users

Ours do the same thing. We have an original leapster and a leapster 2. The original is the worst offender and the leapster 2 acts up more with old games, so I think it is an age thing. You can try using a rubber pencil eraser to remove corrosion from the metal contacts on the game cartridges and the console, but I had trouble getting an eraser in there. The thing that works the best for us is to blow hard on the contacts in the cartridges and in the console before inserting the cartridges very firmly into the console. Don't know why it works but it does. Most of the time.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have luck sometimes blowing out the cartridge area with a can of air. But we've gone through 4 leapster2s over the years because they eventually get so unreliable about reading the games that the kids get really frustrated. I personally would never buy a used leapster2 because I find them to have such a short life span.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote