Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: what got you through transition (natural birth)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
The thing about labor is, you are a storm inside -- tornado, tsunami, hurricane -- all raging inside your head and your body. Many women feel totally unglued on the outside, too (and some are, and that's perfectly fine, too). So when they see how they actually were, it doesn't match up with how it felt while in the torrent of it all.
Totally!! It's so funny, after my first birth my DH, my mom, and myself all wrote a birth story. And they were all completely different, haha! I could have sworn I was screaming during pushing, but apparently that didn't happen. I was just moaning in a really lazy/tired way

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #42
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensasha17 View Post
This thread is so interesting...i will be having my first in june and am really worried that I wont have many options in the hospital as far as being stuck in the bed vs being able to get up or move around at all or being able to shower etc. Do you ladies know if they ever let you do that stuff? The hospital I am delivering at doesn't have birthing tubs or anything and my ob and I haven't discussed anything about delivery yet.
both of my deliveries were in a hospital. Never stuck in bed. With DS we walked the halls with the portable monitors even took a bath when laboring. With DD it was much more intense and quick that as soon as they were going to get the bath ready for me she was crowning.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #43
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
This thread is so interesting...i will be having my first in june and am really worried that I wont have many options in the hospital as far as being stuck in the bed vs being able to get up or move around at all or being able to shower etc. Do you ladies know if they ever let you do that stuff? The hospital I am delivering at doesn't have birthing tubs or anything and my ob and I haven't discussed anything about delivery yet.
Ask. I think most accommodate that. There is no need for constant electric monitoring assuming you have a low risk pregnancy. Just ask to be checked on with a doppler instead then you'd be free to move around. I know some hospitals let you shower too, if you they don't have a tub.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #44
Queensasha17
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies will definitely talk to them and see what they say. I think I just need to be more direct with my ob that I need her to answer my questions. She just rushes me in and out, haven't gotten any good talking time about how her deliveries normally go.

Married to my USAF hubby, the love of my life.

iso: os swaddlebees simplex, 40F/DDD nursing bras
Queensasha17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #45
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Definitely ask and push for as much freedom as you can manage. If you are low-risk, then there is no reason that you should be stuck in bed on constant monitoring. If that's going to be mandatory, then I'd consider switching hospitals and/or obs. Moving around in labor is what helps your baby move down and helps you progress. Changing positions will help you cope with contractions. Also, I'd highly recommend a doula!
Here's a list of the benefits of a doula at your birth:
http://www.bellybelly.com.au/birth/d...h#.UUrzFTeRe8A
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #46
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Shifting my weight back and forth and low moaning. Any moving around really helped as long as I could focus on something else.

And I read on here one time something that became my mantra during labor:

I can handle any amount of pain for 90 second. This too shall pass. So right as I was peaking I'd tell myself I can handle this, it's almost over. One contraction at a time. Over and over and over.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #47
kkleinman
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Transition did not last very long with this baby. I was squatting in a hot shower holding on to a bar on the wall while bouncing and moaning.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #48
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I can't even pinpoint when things switched from active labor to transition with any of my 3 deliveries. I do know that with all three though, I had to handle the contractions the same way... room had to be silent... nobody touching me. I had to go into my own head and tell myself things like "I just have to get through this one, then I get a break." and "If this is the worst pain possible, then it's not going to get worse." I did notice with my most recent delivery (just because it's fresh in my mind - 5 days ago!) that in between contractions I noticed I was holding my breath, NOT intentionally. Then when a ctx hit I started to mentally lose it and wanted to scream/freak etc... I'd make myself pay attention to my breathing and I'd take a huge inhale and then slowly through pursed lips let it out... that let me regain my composure each time. I also made low "cooing" sounds (as hubby dubbed it). As for position, I found that being upright and letting gravity help really was beneficial. I recall with my first, I was lying in the bed not knowing what to expect (since it was my first) and I would have 1 ctx and then really enjoy the break in between... to the point I was falling asleep and wake up realizing I was "in hell" and go through another ctx ... repeat ad nauseum. Then my MW said things were stalled and I was just prolonging it - she wanted me up. I got to the side of the bed to squat and within 2 ctx, things picked up and she wanted me back in bed to get the baby out. Knowing that going into my next two, it made me empowered that there was something *I* could do to help speed/slow things down as I desired. So with DS, I used the squat bar in the bed. With this one, I thought I'd want to squat by the bed since I really didn't like the bar the last time... but I ended up laboring on the ball the whole time from 4-9.5cm... that was upright enough to make things go fast - then I got into the bed (so they could check me... I wanted to use the tub if I wasn't close)... standing from the ball to get into bed was so uncomfortable that I decided once I was in the bed that I would use the bar instead of getting out again to squat.
So I guess... leave your options open. What works for one person won't work for everyone. And even for one mama - what works for one delivery won't necessarily work for subsequent deliveries.

GL mama!

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:04 AM   #49
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OP I see that you are Catholic too, what really helped me with my last 2 labors was to pray a Hail Mary with each contraction, until they got too long and then I switched to the Memorare. I really felt like I was uniting myself with Mary. I also thought of different prayer intentions to offer the pain up for. My 3rd was born while the March for Life was going on, and it was awesome to be able to focus on that.

Normally my transition is sort of fast, I go from 8-10 in just a few contractions, but hang out at 8 for a while before then. During those few intense contractions there is definitely some yelling, but more as release and not loss of control.

I did have some pretty intense back labor with my 3rd where she just would not turn, but aside from that, while it was obviously painful and hard, I didn't feel frantic when I was focusing on praying.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #50
ambivalent_amy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
I got through it by yelling and crying and acting like a big baby...all three times. I'm committed to natural births, but I'm not graceful about it AT ALL.
Pretty much this. LOL