Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt

I'm curious, what is your opinion on Jenny McCarthys story? ER testimony is that her son profoundly regressed and became autistic after receiving a specific vaccine as a young toddler and that through intensive therapy (biomedical I believe), he was 'recovered'. I do not know if she considers him still autistic or not, just that he 'recovered'.

I know there are many who claim this to be true for their children, I only used Jenny as the example since her story is known to many.
Well I think Jenny Mcarthy had an agenda so.....

I don't believe vaccines cause autism, therefore her son was either born autistic and still is or something attributed to his autistic like behaviors. Just because he had certain behaviors and a diagnosis does not mean the diagnosis was correct.

I don't believe autism is caused by heavy metals etc. your brain is either NT or autistic. There are many disorders that can mimic autism so I think in her case it was a misdiagnosis.

Advertisement

Last edited by ktmelody; 03-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Interesting thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

I know nothing about this aba stuff. Can u guys give me the cliff notes on that?

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
mamasab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I'm a bit over ABA being called a cure. I have had my kids in ABA therapy for 3 years and I've never heard anyone refer to it as a cure. There is not a single ABA therapist that I know that would call it a cure, most of them don't believe autism can be cured.

For what it's worth, I don't think autism is "curable" in the way most people consider the word. My goal with ABA is for my kids to learn how to do some things that are innate in "typical"people, but they have to be specifically taught in order to function to their best ability in society. We've had huge success with ABA (lowered aggression, potty training, play skills) but my children are very clearly still autistic.
mamasab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Autism and "cure" for it... ABA treatment/CARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasab View Post
I'm a bit over ABA being called a cure. I have had my kids in ABA therapy for 3 years and I've never heard anyone refer to it as a cure. There is not a single ABA therapist that I know that would call it a cure, most of them don't believe autism can be cured.

For what it's worth, I don't think autism is "curable" in the way most people consider the word. My goal with ABA is for my kids to learn how to do some things that are innate in "typical"people, but they have to be specifically taught in order to function to their best ability in society. We've had huge success with ABA (lowered aggression, potty training, play skills) but my children are very clearly still autistic.
Just for the record, I'm not sure if you saw the video, but in it they refer to the boy being cured. They also said that the therapist predicted it will take 4 years of 30 - 40 hours of therapy a week to "cure" him - and it came true (all this according to the video).

How many hours do your children get?
Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know how many groups make the claim that ABA will cure autism now but it was bandied about a good deal around the time Kearnan was originally diagnosed. It was one of a few newer therapies to hit the scene at that time that were supposed to cure ASD children. It seems Kearnan was diagnosed right at the beginning of the surge of understanding of autism and diagnosis. As I mentioned in my last post Estimates jumped from 1 in 200 to 1 in 100 children in maybe 2 years from his diagnosis and I hate to be cynical but it seemed like everyone was eager to cash in on parents who just wanted to "fix" their children. When you first hear your child is autistic it is like your world falls apart (or maybe that was just how it was for me). Even though you have been dealing with the behaviors for years maybe having the label is world altering. Now you have people on all sides telling you if you just do this, give your child this supplement or feed them this diet they will suddenly be well and it is hard to sort it all out. Kearnan was diagnosed right at the height of the DAN! movement, when ABA was just getting popular, Floortime, Play Therapy, Movement Therapy, Music Therapy, Horse Back Riding had just sort of hit the scene, Oxygen therapy, Chiropractic treatments, GFCF diets, GAPs diet, Leaky Gut, plus traditional therapy, none of it was covered by most insurance companies and you felt like a horrible parent if you didn't do it all.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #17
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
No. I don't think there is a cure. I think that people who state they have been cured never had a child with autism.

Therapy, diet changes etc can all help children with autism adapt to the way our society works but it cannot cure it. My dd has a mild form of autism, she receives therapy at school to help her learn how to socialize and integrate. So once she learns those skills she will still have autism but have the tools to help her socialize the way NT people do.
Yes. Exactly what she said.
I have a sister who was diagnosed pdd as a toddler, but outgrew a lot of her behaviors as she learned communication and coping strategies. It would appear that she was "cured" for a lot of people, and she never received an educational or adult diagnosis as she also has cerebral palsy and received services anyways. However, I am positive that she has some level of aspergers. She's brilliant with language and terrible at math, super awkward socially, struggles with processing sudden emotion, and has a tendency towards obsessions. I would say she very successfully learned coping strategies, but definitely not cured.

My experience as a special Ed teacher supports that as well.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
I'm curious, what is your opinion on Jenny McCarthys story? ER testimony is that her son profoundly regressed and became autistic after receiving a specific vaccine as a young toddler and that through intensive therapy (biomedical I believe), he was 'recovered'. I do not know if she considers him still autistic or not, just that he 'recovered'.

I know there are many who claim this to be true for their children, I only used Jenny as the example since her story is known to many.
I've read quite a few reports that her son may actually have Landau-Kleffner syndrome rather than autism.

And again, I fully agree with what Katie said.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #19
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatblack View Post
Just for the record, I'm not sure if you saw the video, but in it they refer to the boy being cured. They also said that the therapist predicted it will take 4 years of 30 - 40 hours of therapy a week to "cure" him - and it came true (all this according to the video).

How many hours do your children get?
ABA is something that can be done nearly full time, outside of "therapy." just like anything, the more consistently it is applied, the More results you will likely see. It's really just an approach to understanding the causes and consequences of behavior and providing feedback to modify the behavior to whatever is better for the kid. It is effective, but certainly no cure. Plus, it doesn't address communication as much as many kids with autism need. The kids with severe autism often lack effective communication which results in a lot of the behaviors we see.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Disclaimer: I don't have a child on the spectrum. I was simply drawn in by the word "cure."

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I don't know how many groups make the claim that ABA will cure autism now but it was bandied about a good deal around the time Kearnan was originally diagnosed. It was one of a few newer therapies to hit the scene at that time that were supposed to cure ASD children. It seems Kearnan was diagnosed right at the beginning of the surge of understanding of autism and diagnosis. As I mentioned in my last post Estimates jumped from 1 in 200 to 1 in 100 children in maybe 2 years from his diagnosis and I hate to be cynical but it seemed like everyone was eager to cash in on parents who just wanted to "fix" their children. When you first hear your child is autistic it is like your world falls apart (or maybe that was just how it was for me). Even though you have been dealing with the behaviors for years maybe having the label is world altering. Now you have people on all sides telling you if you just do this, give your child this supplement or feed them this diet they will suddenly be well and it is hard to sort it all out. Kearnan was diagnosed right at the height of the DAN! movement, when ABA was just getting popular, Floortime, Play Therapy, Movement Therapy, Music Therapy, Horse Back Riding had just sort of hit the scene, Oxygen therapy, Chiropractic treatments, GFCF diets, GAPs diet, Leaky Gut, plus traditional therapy, none of it was covered by most insurance companies and you felt like a horrible parent if you didn't do it all.
I think this applies to many diagnosis of this nature: ASD, ADHD, ODD, OCD, and many more. Before the diagnosis there's this sneaking suspicion of just not being a good enough parent. Then the diagnosis tells you that there's nothing you can do well enough to "fix" your child. You feel like your child is "broken." The idea of a "cure" for your child is so appealing and plays on our parental fantasies of being able to "fix" our child. And the companies selling it know it!

Anywho, that is what brought me into this thread. Now I shall go back to lurking and reading.