Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Do minimalists decorate the house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epanouie View Post
Here is what our house looks like, before getting rid of everything and moving in suitcases to SE Asia!

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...p?albumid=3407
That is awesome and truly inspiring. Makes me not want to post pix of my house, LOL.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity ladies!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo

That is awesome and truly inspiring. Makes me not want to post pix of my house, LOL.
Aww, don't be so hard on yourself! My husband was born a minimalist, I think, and I was conditioned into one because my dad was (is) a true hoarder and I couldn't wait to get away from all that! so anyway, I'm just saying we come by it pretty naturally. What inspires me is you mamas who are taking steps to clear out your homes and feeling so great about it!!
epanouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
ClothDiaperFashionista
Registered Users
Formerly: azzmeg
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Here is what our house looks like, before getting rid of everything and moving in suitcases to SE Asia!

I don't know your story. What are you planning to do in SE Asia? How many kids to you have? Sounds like a great adventure.
ClothDiaperFashionista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #15
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperFashionista

I don't know your story. What are you planning to do in SE Asia? How many kids to you have? Sounds like a great adventure.
Thanks! I am just counting down the weeks to our new life! I don't even care that our house hasn't sold yet...we own it outright, so it's not a huge financial burden.

My husband spent the summer there to get TEFL certified so he can teach English (he is a teacher in a small Classical Christian school currently). We don't know yet exactly what life will look like for us there, but we imagine this: he'll teach English, I'll do all the normal mom stuff (plus have a new baby 7-8 weeks after arriving!), and we will all be learning the language for at least the first year or two. I have four children, plus the one more on the way I just mentioned. My boys can't wait to see all the new animals, plants, etc. My 6 year old can't wait to see snakes. Pit vipers, to be exact. Yeah, sorry buddy, but I'm hoping for the exact opposite there...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

I minimally decorate
Before I started this journey to minimalism my house/apartment was PLASTERED with pictures. Now, I have 1 picture of each of us on the wall. They are 16 by 20" close up shots of our faces. They are fun. Other than that......nothing but a mirror.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #17
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

I minimally decorate
Before I started this journey to minimalism my house/apartment was PLASTERED with pictures. Now, I have 1 picture of each of us on the wall. They are 16 by 20" close up shots of our faces. They are fun. Other than that......nothing but a mirror.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #18
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, I am going to take the plunge and post pics of my house. I am not a true minimalist, and it is of course a WIP. And full disclosure I don't minimize books or art supplies. My kids are extremely avid readers and don't like e-books, and they are also really into art. So I figure while some parents have a closet of sporting equipment, I have a bookcase of art supplies.

This is the main floor of my house. There are four rooms around a central staircase, the family room, the library (which would be classified as the formal living room in a real estate description), the dining room, and the kitchen. I posted the pics of my kitchen not too long ago in a kitchen thread here, these are the rest of the rooms.

Dining room:

The pictures are from trips we took so they aren't just random decoration.
In the back, on the left is a sofa table with a hamster cage on it.
On the the right is a 2x2 Expedit bookcase with board games and puzzles in it, and a plant and a beta fish tank on top.

Since it's clear all the time, we use this as our game and puzzle center. We've got a hot game of Clue going on ATM. What you can't see is in the corner on the right is a full size palm plant.

Library, right next to dining room:

Frame on the left is candids of the kids.
Four frames behind chairs are paintings I did.
Like I said the kids are extreme avid readers. So they each have a chair to read in. I used to have a smaller rug, one lamp, and two less comfortable chairs, but they fought over them all the time. And the room was very dark after sundown. So DH agreed to upgrade, get three comfy chairs, two floor lamps, and a bigger nicer rug for our Xmas present to each other. Now I can sleep in every Saturday, and wake up to them quietly reading in their chairs. I think the rug makes the room.

This is the view from the dining table.
In the corner in the back, is a small desk with a laptop that the kids share. It also has a lamp because again the room is dark at night. The picture above balances out the bookcase on the other side of the window you can't see.
In the interest of being authentic, every day I pile all the books they get out in the middle of the floor and they put them away. That is one day's worth of books from two kids (one is sick).

Other side of the room. The smaller bookcase is 80% photo albums from the pre-digital era that I will scan someday (yes I got them out of the basement of shame, LOL). The other two are library books, which we keep separate from our books.
The big bookcase are our books. We used to live in an area where fines were a dollar per day per book, but down the street was a Half Price Books where I could get any number of kids books for a dollar. Bottom row reference, next up board books and early readers, next two big kid books, top row adult books I can't get at our library.
And another big retro lamp cuz it's dark. And a full size plant. The picture is a print DH and I picked up on travels. There is a tray on top of the little bookcase of kiddo "treasures".

Family Room:

On the mantel, religious artifacts, a clock, and two pots that carry the colors from the library. Above is frame with a head shot of each of the kids.
On the hearth are the speakers that can't go anywhere else. And the fireplace screen. Box of tissues since it's allergy season here.
On the entertainment center, a big plant and the TV. Inside, baskets of blankets, the electronics, and a basket of DVD type stuff.

Other side of family room. Full disclosure, kid with tummy virus and the house is still this clean. Sofa, end table with lamp (and her books), four pictures of the kids on trips with one of four sentences from our family mission statement (idea from here). Four pillows.

View from sliding glass door, looking into the library. Left is the art supply bookcase. Two plants and a pitcher on top, mostly to keep us from dumping stuff there. On the right, floor lamp, bucket for stuff that doesn't belong in that room, and the fireplace tools. You know, because there is no room on the hearth because of the stupid speakers. Also, I do have a brightly colored blue and green graphic print fabric panels I can hang on the art bookcase and the entertainment center if I am expecting company. Or if I don't want to look at the stuff.

The rooms are not white, but they are all the same color. Betcha didn't notice that every floor in each room is different - that's because the wall color is all the same. Ditto with the same white curtains in every room. Those are $10/panel IKEA curtains. The rods cost more than the curtains, LOL, but they are substantial and look expensive. There is a definite lack of coffee/end tables, and it is intentional. Makes it bigger and less surfaces to dump clutter on.

So there you have it. One day, the kids will all be teens and plugged into e-readers, and that big bookcase will be repurposed as basement storage. I doubt the art supply bookcase will go away, just get filled with more sophisticated supplies instead of playdoh, shaving cream, etc. The board game bookcase will hold scrabble/pictionary/outburst/etc and 1000 piece puzzles instead of Sorry/Clue/Operation and 100-300 piece puzzles. The pictures will likely change over time. Other than that, I don't see a whole lot of change going on there, except maybe less stuff.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
epanouie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylchoo
Okay, I am going to take the plunge and post pics of my house. I am not a true minimalist, and it is of course a WIP. And full disclosure I don't minimize books or art supplies. My kids are extremely avid readers and don't like e-books, and they are also really into art. So I figure while some parents have a closet of sporting equipment, I have a bookcase of art supplies.

This is the main floor of my house. There are four rooms around a central staircase, the family room, the library (which would be classified as the formal living room in a real estate description), the dining room, and the kitchen. I posted the pics of my kitchen not too long ago in a kitchen thread here, these are the rest of the rooms.

Dining room:

The pictures are from trips we took so they aren't just random decoration.
In the back, on the left is a sofa table with a hamster cage on it.
On the the right is a 2x2 Expedit bookcase with board games and puzzles in it, and a plant and a beta fish tank on top.

Since it's clear all the time, we use this as our game and puzzle center. We've got a hot game of Clue going on ATM. What you can't see is in the corner on the right is a full size palm plant.

Library, right next to dining room:

Frame on the left is candids of the kids.
Four frames behind chairs are paintings I did.
Like I said the kids are extreme avid readers. So they each have a chair to read in. I used to have a smaller rug, one lamp, and two less comfortable chairs, but they fought over them all the time. And the room was very dark after sundown. So DH agreed to upgrade, get three comfy chairs, two floor lamps, and a bigger nicer rug for our Xmas present to each other. Now I can sleep in every Saturday, and wake up to them quietly reading in their chairs. I think the rug makes the room.

This is the view from the dining table.
In the corner in the back, is a small desk with a laptop that the kids share. It also has a lamp because again the room is dark at night. The picture above balances out the bookcase on the other side of the window you can't see.
In the interest of being authentic, every day I pile all the books they get out in the middle of the floor and they put them away. That is one day's worth of books from two kids (one is sick).

Other side of the room. The smaller bookcase is 80% photo albums from the pre-digital era that I will scan someday (yes I got them out of the basement of shame, LOL). The other two are library books, which we keep separate from our books.
The big bookcase are our books. We used to live in an area where fines were a dollar per day per book, but down the street was a Half Price Books where I could get any number of kids books for a dollar. Bottom row reference, next up board books and early readers, next two big kid books, top row adult books I can't get at our library.
And another big retro lamp cuz it's dark. And a full size plant. The picture is a print DH and I picked up on travels. There is a tray on top of the little bookcase of kiddo "treasures".

Family Room:

On the mantel, religious artifacts, a clock, and two pots that carry the colors from the library. Above is frame with a head shot of each of the kids.
On the hearth are the speakers that can't go anywhere else. And the fireplace screen. Box of tissues since it's allergy season here.
On the entertainment center, a big plant and the TV. Inside, baskets of blankets, the electronics, and a basket of DVD type stuff.

Other side of family room. Full disclosure, kid with tummy virus and the house is still this clean. Sofa, end table with lamp (and her books), four pictures of the kids on trips with one of four sentences from our family mission statement (idea from here). Four pillows.

View from sliding glass door, looking into the library. Left is the art supply bookcase. Two plants and a pitcher on top, mostly to keep us from dumping stuff there. On the right, floor lamp, bucket for stuff that doesn't belong in that room, and the fireplace tools. You know, because there is no room on the hearth because of the stupid speakers. Also, I do have a brightly colored blue and green graphic print fabric panels I can hang on the art bookcase and the entertainment center if I am expecting company. Or if I don't want to look at the stuff.

The rooms are not white, but they are all the same color. Betcha didn't notice that every floor in each room is different - that's because the wall color is all the same. Ditto with the same white curtains in every room. Those are $10/panel IKEA curtains. The rods cost more than the curtains, LOL, but they are substantial and look expensive. There is a definite lack of coffee/end tables, and it is intentional. Makes it bigger and less surfaces to dump clutter on.

So there you have it. One day, the kids will all be teens and plugged into e-readers, and that big bookcase will be repurposed as basement storage. I doubt the art supply bookcase will go away, just get filled with more sophisticated supplies instead of playdoh, shaving cream, etc. The board game bookcase will hold scrabble/pictionary/outburst/etc and 1000 piece puzzles instead of Sorry/Clue/Operation and 100-300 piece puzzles. The pictures will likely change over time. Other than that, I don't see a whole lot of change going on there, except maybe less stuff.
Very pretty and well organized!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
crystallion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

crystallion is offline   Reply With Quote