Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #21
mekat
Registered Users

Re: 16 month old in body cast

Can't give you any advice on the cast dos and don'ts since I haven't dealt with that but I have experience with special needs car seats. If his insurance is private this will fall under your DME benefits. If it is medicaid you should have zero problems. They just hand you the car seat you need upon discharge. How it worked with DS's medicaid is they just out right bought my son his special needs car seat device and it didn't matter that he only needed the safety harness for less then a week. It is quite simple from an insurance perspective; The hospital cannot discharge a child until they have a safe way to go home which means they have to make sure you have a car safety device that works with your child's medical needs. Insurance will pay up quick if it means avoiding a longer inpatient stay. Even DS's medicaid had zero wait time for approval and they notoriously take their sweet time processing DME claims in this state.

The one issue is the nurses will help you get your child into the car but they legally can not install the seat for you so I would find out which car safety device they discharge a child with so you can read the manual in advance. The harness they handed me worked nothing like a regular car seat install and I was trying to read the manual while my son was crying and the nurses standing around waiting for me to install the stupid thing so they could go back to their other charges. I'm pretty sure I did a crappy installation job. I did the best I could under the circumstances but if I had to do it all over again I would come into the situation a bit more prepared.

Advertisement

Last edited by mekat; 02-25-2013 at 10:52 PM.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #22
CASMama711
Registered Users
Formerly: chmom77
seller

Bumping for more advice because surgery is in a week and a half!

If anyone has a Cast Cool or any other gear that might be helpful and you're willing to sell it cheap, please PM me.
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
CASMama711
Registered Users
seller

Bumping for more advice because surgery is in a week and a half!

If anyone has a Cast Cool or any other gear that might be helpful and you're willing to sell it cheap, please PM me.
CASMama711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:34 AM   #24
CASMama711
Registered Users
seller

1 week until surgery bump