Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

Please help with constipation/rash issue!

We go to the doctor tomorrow afternoon, but not really sure what they can do, in the meantime, my DS is miserable

About a week ago he stopped being regular. It got progressively worse to the point where he was assuming the labor birthing position used in most hospitals to try and poop. He is straining and wimpers and gets his blankies when he has to poop. Yesterday and the day before he also told me a spot in his gut hurt. Last week and over the weekend I tried apple juice, clementines, dates, yogurt, and raisins. All of these usually work within a matter of hours at most. No change. So I call the doctor and they say to try prunes, and I have DH bring home prune juice and baby food.

That was yesterday afternoon. He had prune juice and baby food with supper, and then prune juice and a little bit of the baby food this morning. He has moved more today, but it is still not soft. His BMs are also now so acidic that it is making his bum VERY raw and it bleeds when I wipe him. He is currently going every 20-30 minutes but just a tiny bit each time. He will cry and tell me his bottom hurts after he goes, and then we go to change where he completely melts down and throws a fit because he knows it hurts to get cleaned up.

I have tried CJs, Grandma Els, and straight lanolin and not much is keeping him comfortable.

I need any and all advise you can give me. What do I do next? What can I put on his bum to keep him comfortable? Should I bother with going to the doctor? Should I get a laxative? Enema? Use Vaseline for diaper cream and cut up some fleece for liners? Please help me help him!

Advertisement

babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Please help with constipation/rash issue!

How old is he? I'd be comfortable using a glycerin suppository on a very young child and I find they work very quickly for hard stool. I had to use them on DS2 pretty often because we were unaware of food allergies causing him GI issues. If he's passing hard stool, not liquid stool I think that's actually a good sign. If it is liquid I'd be more concerned because that can mean he has an obstruction and stool is kind of leaking around that to get through. Severe diaper rash could be making him hold it in so I'd cut up liners and put the good stuff on him. We use Dr. Sheffield's diaper ointment...it's cheap and you can get it at Dollar General or other dollar stores but it works way better than the expensive stuff. You can also do baths with baking soda in the water.
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Glycerin suppository would probably be a good thing to try. As for his bottom, what worked best for us was Boudreax's Butt Paste (not sure I spelled that correctly).
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
babymakes3.4.5....
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ok I'll pick up a suppository tomorrow :/ We did an oatmeal bath tonight and I put coconut oil on his bum and let him run around naked for a bit and reapplied lanolin. I'll have to pick up some heavy duty diaper cream tomorrow and fleece it up lol! Thanks so much ladies! A little bit of support has really lifted my spirits
babymakes3.4.5.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Cherbear013
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I highly recommend enemas, gets all the putrefied poop out and removes toxins.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd ask the dr for something for the bottom rash. We have been given Vusion ointment (it's a cream but called ointment, go figure) but it's been very helpful for extreme diaper rash. Good luck. For on the shelf products, I like Desitin but only the purple & white package, the maximum strength.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls (10, 13 & 19) & 1 sweet little guy (3)

Last edited by ssand23; 03-21-2013 at 07:41 PM.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote