Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller

Something like a chicco key fit?

Is there a car seat like the chicco key fit but that is cheaper? We are strapped financially right now and I love the Chicco Key Fit but it is looking like a dream. I want an infant seat that has lots of padding, comes with infant head support, easy to buckle and unbuckle, and not gigantic so it fits nicely in a seat. I do drive an older model Suburban so if I have to take a bigger seat I guess I could.

Does anyone have any ideas? Oh, I also plan to mostly baby wear, but would like for the seat to fit on a shopping cart, just in case.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

tinytushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Seats are NOT intended to fit on shopping carts, that is extremely dangerous and shouldn't be done.

We have always been very happy with our snugride 35, I can not speak to the pricing and whether it's any better though.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
emlee
Registered Users
seller

Re: Something like a chicco key fit?

I'm not sure where you're located but if you're near me (bay area, california), I have a brand new Chicco Keyfit 30 you can buy cheap (we were expecting twins but one passed way at six weeks and so we've had this extra car seat).
emlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

emlee, I'm very sorry for your loss.

To echo Mom2Connor, it is very unsafe to put a car seat on top of a shopping cart. It can damage the car seat and it makes an already unstable vehicle (the cart) even more top heavy and unstable. Babies have fallen from shopping carts sustaining serious injuries and even resulting in death. It's a completely avoidable tragedy.

If you're on a tight budget I would look at the Evenflo Embrace 35, the Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite Plus, and the Safety 1st OnBoard. Padding does not add to safety, it's purely for comfort and I find that it really gets in the way, especially as a baby grows. Rolled receiving blankets tucked in around a properly harnessed baby provide any additional support that may be needed for a newborn.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller

I did not know having a car seat on a shopping cart was "not safe". I have not had a baby in an infant car seat in 8 years and the manual that came WITH his seat literally showed HOW to attach to a shopping cart. Glad to know that is now frowned upon.

Emlee.... Sadly I am not near you. I am located in Texas.

Monica-m- I was told by the fire station that it was dangerous to use receiving blankets for added support? He said that it was dangerous to use ANYTHING that DID NOT come with the car seat. It was his recommendation to not even buy the added head support that is made for car seats. Can anyone tell me where to find what is okay and what is not for proper use of a car seat?

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. Never thought things would have changed so much in the past 8 to 12 years since my last babies!
Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:
My manual says to use receiving blankets as long as nothing goes behind the baby. Your car seat manual will probably mention something. But no, those support things are not recommended.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytushi View Post
I did not know having a car seat on a shopping cart was "not safe". I have not had a baby in an infant car seat in 8 years and the manual that came WITH his seat literally showed HOW to attach to a shopping cart. Glad to know that is now frowned upon.
http://thecarseatlady.blogspot.com/2...his-weeks.html

http://carseatblog.com/10985/shoppin...nfant-carseat/

Quote:
Monica-m- I was told by the fire station that it was dangerous to use receiving blankets for added support? He said that it was dangerous to use ANYTHING that DID NOT come with the car seat. It was his recommendation to not even buy the added head support that is made for car seats. Can anyone tell me where to find what is okay and what is not for proper use of a car seat?
Well, I'm a CPST Instructor, so I do know a thing or two about proper use
You can double check what I'm telling you here: http://www.thecarseatlady.com/car_se...g_seats_8.html (3rd paragraph)

Do you know if the person at the fire station was a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician? CPSTs are the only people who should be checking car seats. Many well meaning policemen and firemen that are not certified try to help out but if they haven't gone through the Safe Kids class then they may not know more than you do. I have seen several dangerous installations that were done by "someone at the fire station". That doesn't mean that fire stations don't have CPSTs, just that you should make sure that the person has the proper training and follows the proper protocol and provides the proper education. Not all CPSTs are created equal but they at least get all the same training. What you're not supposed to add to a car seat is an aftermarket headrest, body support, or toys because they can interfere with the function of the harness or what the seat does in an accident. There are no crash test standards for these items to meet so their "crash tested" claims are meaningless. Rolled receiving blankets added AFTER baby is harnessed will not interfere with the harness, and if they do come out during a crash, they're not going to hurt anyone flying around the vehicle.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
tinytushi
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info. No I have no idea if they were CPST or not. I live in a very small back woods hick (he he) area. I just stopped in to talk with them because they have a sign out front that they will help with car seats.

I was wondering WHY the added head supports are not okay? The back the infant lies on is paper thin. The head support goes beside the head in the same way a receiving blanket does and the straps are not affected, right? What am I missing? Thanks for all the help. I have not had a baby in years and so much stuff has come to light that was not even thought of back then.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Thanks for the info. No I have no idea if they were CPST or not. I live in a very small back woods hick (he he) area. I just stopped in to talk with them because they have a sign out front that they will help with car seats.

I was wondering WHY the added head supports are not okay? The back the infant lies on is paper thin. The head support goes beside the head in the same way a receiving blanket does and the straps are not affected, right? What am I missing? Thanks for all the help. I have not had a baby in years and so much stuff has come to light that was not even thought of back then.
There are techs all over the state and I know many all over so if you want to get things double checked by someone I trust, let me know and I will get you in contact with someone in your area.

Not all head supports are thin. Some are big and fluffy and interfere with the straps or push the baby's head forward creating a positional asphyxiation risk. The bottom line as to why they're not recommended is that the car seat manufacturer has not tested that specific product with the seat and they cannot guarantee its safety. To use it makes your child function as a crash test dummy in the event of an accident, it's just not worth the risk. Almost every infant car seat manual has instructions in it on how to use the receiving blankets for additional support.