Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
kokerson9's Avatar
kokerson9
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Sanitizing Washer Advice

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now, full of such great info! Love it!


Well anyways, we got a new Samsung TL HE without an agitator a month ago. I still haven't settled into a good wash routine, DH work stuff wasn't coming clean and was smelling stinky still. I had been having problems with rashes with our old washer, doing 3-4 extra rinses making sure all the soap was rinsed out. But after getting our new washer I was still seeing periodic rashes using powdered Charlies Soap. I started adding some liquid Calgon (we have hard water) and didn't really notice a difference. Then I started trying different detergents (7th Gen, Planet and finally Tide Ultra). I also was adding some Ecover softener periodically and to our regular clothes. Well we got the W&D through Best Buy and our 30 days (end of exchange/return) period was yesterday. I noticed earlier in the week that the softener was not dispensing properly and there was still residue and water left in the dispenser. I went into BB last night frustrated, having some buyers remorse and wondering if this washer is really working. I had my eye on a $300 more LG wave TL that has a sanitize cycle. BB suggested that I at least change out the current model to make sure it's not a problem with it not dispensing the soap correctly. I doubt that is truly the problem b/c I do see bubbles in the wash, regardless the softener is not going in right. So next Wednesday they will be bringing out a new unit. Now though, they just changed their return policy to 15 days, so I will essentially have a 1 1/2 week to decide what to do.


So after all of that rambling, my question is would it be worth the upgrade? I had DH turn up our water heater this morning and I shut off the cold line to the washer (to ensure no cold was being added during the hot wash). The temp still was 120 degrees for the hot wash. DH said it may get hotter water by this evening after the heater has time to fully adjust (?). The LG model says it will go up to 158 for the sanitize cycle. I just cannot decide if it would be worth it to upgrade or if I just need to figure out a routine that will work with this one. Thanks for any help!

We use all Kawaii pockets. I have also been doing 2-3 hot washes before I tried new detergent to help strip out the old stuff. LO has very sensitive skin. I did wash a few of her outfits in Tide hoping it would get the sour BM smell out, but it still lingured, not as bad, but my "super smell" (as DH calls it) still smells it.

Advertisement


Last edited by kokerson9; 03-23-2013 at 10:58 AM.
kokerson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
aries416
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,527
Re: Sanitizing Washer Advice

I have an LG with a sanitize cycle and use it all the time for diapers. It works wonders! I've never had an issue.
__________________
Eleanor, mama to Maren (07.05.08) and Grant (10.20.10)
aries416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
kokerson9's Avatar
kokerson9
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Re: Sanitizing Washer Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries416 View Post
I have an LG with a sanitize cycle and use it all the time for diapers. It works wonders! I've never had an issue.

Is it worth the extra money IYO? What model do you have?
kokerson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
essential1892's Avatar
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,293
Re: Sanitizing Washer Advice

I have a top loader LG with the sanitize cycle and rarely use the sanitize setting for my diapers- I'm scared it will wreck them (I'm most likely just being paranoid). I have found the key to my washer getting stuff clean, especially diapers, is to make sure that I have a full load. If I wash the diapers on the towel or bulky setting I have to throw in a few towels so that the diapers have something to rub against to get clean. If I try doing the heavy duty or normal setting there isn't near enough water to get anything at all clean. I am still having some issues with ammonia on random night time diapers but I believe that is from me needing to adjust how much detergent I use.

For my regular laundry I use the towel setting because when I tried the normal setting half of the clothes would be sticking out of the water and not get clean. I really hate HE machines and feel that me having to use the towel setting (that fills the drum with tons of water) negates the supposed HE benefits.
__________________
SAHM to three wonderful monsters: Tyler 6, Alli 4 and Jilly Billy 2. And all I have to say is thank God for wine!
essential1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
kokerson9's Avatar
kokerson9
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Re: Sanitizing Washer Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by essential1892 View Post
For my regular laundry I use the towel setting because when I tried the normal setting half of the clothes would be sticking out of the water and not get clean. I really hate HE machines and feel that me having to use the towel setting (that fills the drum with tons of water) negates the supposed HE benefits.

I have only noticed this a few times in this washer, for the most part water level seems to be good. I have noticed on the "Quick Wash" the water level is sometimes a little off. Does your LG have a water plus option?


Just to add: We use pretty much all bamboo too. The drier has a sanitize setting, but I don't want to use this on the bamboo for fear that this will ruin it? I usually hang to dry, then throw in drier for 15 on extra low just to soften them.
kokerson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Ala's Avatar
Ala
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Small town Manitoba
Posts: 139
My Mood:
I recently got a Samsung HE TL as well and initially had that "sour" smell you were speaking of also. After some experimenting, found a system that works: quick wash on warm, no detergent, no spin, then I use the bedding (has an extra rinse) setting on hot with a scoop of oxyclean and the detergent. Problem solved. I was using Tide, but now Arm & Hammer Essentials Free. Finally clean diapers! Have had a few minor stains, but the sun takes care of it. Sour smell is gone!
Ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
essential1892's Avatar
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,293
Re: Sanitizing Washer Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokerson9 View Post
I have only noticed this a few times in this washer, for the most part water level seems to be good. I have noticed on the "Quick Wash" the water level is sometimes a little off. Does your LG have a water plus option?


Just to add: We use pretty much all bamboo too. The drier has a sanitize setting, but I don't want to use this on the bamboo for fear that this will ruin it? I usually hang to dry, then throw in drier for 15 on extra low just to soften them.
OMG I'm sorry- I have a Samsung not an LG (sorry for the mommy brain ). It doesn't have any extra settings except to choose an extra rinse. It's so funny because the normal wash setting uses very little water and the quick wash setting fills the drum up half way- it makes no sense to me. My husband thinks I'm crazy because I will stand and watch the clothes being washed (the top is glass) to see how it works but if I didn't do that then I wouldn't have realized what setting were not actually getting everything clean.
__________________
SAHM to three wonderful monsters: Tyler 6, Alli 4 and Jilly Billy 2. And all I have to say is thank God for wine!
essential1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
kokerson9's Avatar
kokerson9
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 208
Re: Sanitizing Washer Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala View Post
quick wash on warm, no detergent, no spin, then I use the bedding (has an extra rinse) setting on hot with a scoop of oxyclean and the detergent.
I know what you mean by the smell! DH's shirts almost have a musty smell. So after washing with Tide, I'm not 100% as to they got cleaner or just smell better.



Quote:
Originally Posted by essential1892 View Post
OMG I'm sorry- I have a Samsung not an LG (sorry for the mommy brain ). It doesn't have any extra settings except to choose an extra rinse. It's so funny because the normal wash setting uses very little water and the quick wash setting fills the drum up half way- it makes no sense to me. My husband thinks I'm crazy because I will stand and watch the clothes being washed (the top is glass) to see how it works but if I didn't do that then I wouldn't have realized what setting were not actually getting everything clean.


My DH thinks I'm nuts too b/c I do the same thing!! Do you wish you would have got another model with extra rinse? Mines the same way, I have to go back in and cycle it through an extra rinse.

Last edited by kokerson9; 03-23-2013 at 01:56 PM.
kokerson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
essential1892's Avatar
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,293
Re: Sanitizing Washer Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokerson9 View Post
I know what you mean by the smell! DH's shirts almost have a musty smell. So after washing with Tide, I'm not 100% as to they got cleaner or just smell better.







My DH thinks I'm nuts too b/c I do the same thing!! Do you wish you would have got another model with extra rinse? Mines the same way, I have to go back in and cycle it through an extra rinse.
I wish I did a lot more research into what washer we bought- I let my DH pick it out and he said it had good reviews plus it was expensive (in his mind expensive equals awesome ) What I really wish it had was an option for how much water gets added. It's funny how cloth diapering has opened my eyes to the intricacies of how a washing machine works
__________________
SAHM to three wonderful monsters: Tyler 6, Alli 4 and Jilly Billy 2. And all I have to say is thank God for wine!
essential1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.